One clan is getting all the fiefs [1.2]

Users who are viewing this thread

So apparently this is still in the game. Take a look at this (I couldn't get the image to get loaded into the post).
I can't believe this is actually how it's supposed to go. In all those decisions my clan was not considered even once and the clan who ended up getting it always won by a landslide. I have 100 relations with every clan, btw.
It's quite frustrating, to be honest. I just kept playing because I wanted to end the campaign so I can never touch it again (Istiana's conspiracy spam of quests was dull and grindy).

Anyway, I hope TW is aware of this and working on a solution. Meanwhile, if there are any mods that fix this, please let me know. And, yes, I know I can create my own kingdom and avoid this, but this shouldn't be the only available route to get fiefs, or at least a fair distribution of fiefs in this game.

I have my own kingdom, so my situation is slightly different, but I have noticed that every fief election recently has had the same 3 clans and the same one in the lead. Now as a king I can override and choose one of the other two so in my case 3 clans are getting all the fiefs rather than just one. Now it's entirely possible that this is a function of my location. I own 3/4 of the map at this point so all the new fiefs are in one region and we know the algorithm favors lords with other nearby fiefs. It's not going to be an issue for me most likely as I am already pretty close to owning the map and I have ample resources with my current fiefs but it does seem like something isn't working quite right.

@ABadFeeling I was having the same issue but I believe this might help you out unless you have done it. The last thing you need to make sure of is that your on at least 5-7 of your faction members friend-list and the higher up the better, I saw results around their 5th to 4th closest friend. In my first playthrough I just so happened to save Unqid 3 times when he stated "you are truly the best of friends". The first castle he gave to me against the council and he was my only supporter. When I look back on it he was my only friend at the time but I was the first friend on his list. Proximity definitely plays a role but during wars I constantly placed prisoners (not troops but faction leaders) In all the dungeons of my faction and I slowly started to gain more support.The castles I kept receiving were not ones I desired and in certain instances when it looked like it should go to me due to proximity it did not. It was only afterwards that I had become one of their top friends I was constantly on the vote for castles and would win each one by a landslide. Basically I believe your relation with the clan overall helps with calling them to your armies, but saving them or rescuing them helps you gain supporters for castle votes.

Unless something's changed, the formula that determines fief ownership tends to create snowballs (until a certain critical mass) due to weight being placed on total clan power (I think it's total troop count + prosperity and hearths? Can't remember. Point is, having more territory is effectively a net positive rather than a net negative in the elections) and proximity. The "critical mass" is when the penalty for being too big is greater than having lots of power/proximity and some other clan, therefore, takes the spot and it usually results in that clan being the new snowball in that area.

Basically, dey Jelind ought to stop growing soon (where are they on the map?) and some other next-closest clan ought to start growing like a snowball in that general area afterwards, at least if it's working like how it was when I last played at the beginning of this year.

This is one of those odd systems that could really use another look since the nobility should be trying to prevent any one clan from becoming too powerful rather than giving them loads of lands until they, for some odd reason, decide enough's enough and go on to favor the next guy way too much.

This is one of those odd systems that could really use another look since the nobility should be trying to prevent any one clan from becoming too powerful rather than giving them loads of lands until they, for some odd reason, decide enough's enough and go on to favor the next guy way too much.

100% this, the current system doesn't make much sense when you see it in the game. Proximity when given a fief is nice but shouldn't be a priority. Get a minimum of 2 fiefs per clan and then attribute the rest based on clan wealth, renown, longevity (with the faction) maybe even influence to a certain maximum always relative to how many other fiefs other clans in the faction have.

That's somewhat how the formula currently works, last I checked (not sure if it factors the Influence currency though); it's just that proximity and clan power are weighed very highly while having X number of fiefs is weighed too low as a counterbalance to prevent snowball ownership. Besides that, I think clans should support their friends and vote against their enemies--basically like how it was in Warband--since it makes interpersonal relations far more important while also creating a simple but distinct inner-faction factionalism based on relations (maybe ideology can be implemented since I recall reading it exists in the code somewhere, just unfinished or unimplemented for some reason).

Yeah I remember seeing that the formula took things like renown of a clan in consideration (that I recall, Influence doesn't count) but proximity and wealth are without a doubt the most important aspects. The last playthrough I did with Sturgia, we had just acquired 3 new clans before the expansion down from Tyal. Those 3 new clans got ALL the fiefs between the castles north of Amprela to Onira... including Khuzait fiefs. Did these clans had more renown than the other in Sturgia? nope. The wealth part they did for sure, I paid each quite a lot to join Sturgia. Wealth and acquiring those first fiefs were enough for an unbalanced distribution of fiefs.
Relationships and personalities are two aspects that still need a function in game, it could make playthroughs much more interesting.

Back
Top Bottom