SP Native okiN's and Lost-Lamb's Troop Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Is it possible to have multiple installations of M&B? I'd really like to test this, but I also love my existing characters.

Worbah said:
Is it possible to have multiple installations of M&B? I'd really like to test this, but I also love my existing characters.

Yes. I have three :grin:
Just copy the game folder to another directory and create shortcut to main game file for easy start.
That's all
Enjoy!

Argh, for crying out loud, I thought we'd found all the bugs. This'll be checked and fixed as soon as I can get a hold of Lost-Lamb, he coded all the upgrade paths.

By the way, any suggestions would be appreciated. The mod may be done (For now, anyway), but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.

Glad to see modmakers ready to further develope this good mod. I've played it quite long and I must say it gave me enjoyable but hard time. It's harder now to have army composed by one type of unit. Especially missile troops are much weaker now without some heavy support.
Some thoughts:
1. Well, missile upgrade tree in reality is longer. There's skirmisher on the path additionally. I would suggest to remove one level as it takes too long now to get decent missile units.
2. Heavy infantry sucks. I'm not sure whether it means to remove them but they die pretty fast as their main two handed weapon is slow and they are hardly able to deliver any strike under hail of hits from lighter weapons even from forest bandits. Maybe theis skill or agility could be rised slightly?
3. Removing lances from knights did good things to them. They are more usefull now.
Thank you for your work and good and enjoyable mod.
Regards

I'd really like somekind of high-athletics characters that are lightly armored and extremely proficient with closecombat weaponry.

Matrix33:

1. We can't shorten it. The game won't allow more than two upgrade paths for one unit, so we had to add the additional scout tier in order to fit in the missile units, since the militia/footman tier was already advancing into two seperate units. Obviously we're not going to remove a whole tier, since that'd give you access to top-notch missile units in no time at all. One thing we want to do, though, is make it possible to hire scouts at taverns. This way you won't have to train all your missile troops up from peasants, which, I understand, is very exasperating indeed. We'll do this as soon as we have the time and figure out how.

2. The heavy infantry is simply the normal infantry unit that has been standardised with two-handed weapons. They may swing slowly, but they move faster than shield-encumbered units, they have longer attack range and they deal out huge amounts of damage, so anyone charging into the midst of fifteen swinging greatswords is in a lot of trouble. If you don't like them, you can always use something else. But just in case, I'll give them a performance test.

3. Glad you like that. It may not be historical, but neither is lance-armed knights stopping in the middle of an infantry mob and poking people, so I figured we might as well separate them. The lancers aren't actually all that bad, either: massed couched lance charges sometimes cause huge casualties and even if a few of them blow it, their friends can cover for them.

Worbah:

There's no room on the army trees, but maybe we could add an alternative upgrade somewhere along the mercenary path. These berserker-type units seem to be in vogue, I'll talk to Lost-Lamb about whether we want to add them.

Prhaps not berserkers as suchs. Have you read Praedor? I'm talking about guys like the main character.

Thanks for the reply and explanation okiN. I appreciate that :smile:
In case of heavy infantry I'm only sugesting to tweak them a little. I understand their potential but I've just pointed out their weaknesses. But if you leave them untouched it'll be okay either :smile:
Regards

Worbah said:
Prhaps not berserkers as suchs. Have you read Praedor? I'm talking about guys like the main character.

I flipped through a couple of the albums at a bookstore ages ago, but I can't remember anything except that in one of them, there was a gay warrior couple. But "high-athletics characters that are lightly armored and extremely proficient with closecombat weaponry" sounds a lot like the berserkers we're seeing at the moment, so I don't really get what you mean. Maybe slightly better armor (Padded leather and jerkins) and less speed freak -like behavior, is that what you want?

okiN said:
Worbah said:

I flipped through a couple of the albums at a bookstore ages ago, but I can't remember anything except that in one of them, there was a gay warrior couple. But "high-athletics characters that are lightly armored and extremely proficient with closecombat weaponry" sounds a lot like the berserkers we're seeing at the moment, so I don't really get what you mean. Maybe slightly better armor (Padded leather and jerkins) and less speed freak -like behavior, is that what you want?

You must mean Kuninkaan Lapset. Borrow it from a library or something. You'll see what I mean.

When you say "leather armor", do you mean leather jerkins, padded leather or actual leather armor? No shields? If yes, what kind?

But anyway, I'll think about it. I've always hated troops with high athletics, it's annoying as hell when they're zipping around and can run almost as fast as a horse. Giving them light armor only makes it worse.

Yeah, actually I gave it thought and don't bother. It could be a separate mod perhaps, but it wouldn't fit at the moment. BTW, It's been a few weeks since I played the original, been hooked on your mod :smile:

Yeah, I think so too. Glad to hear you're enjoying the mod, I hope something like this will eventually be fitted into the actual game. I never liked having all kinds of different weapons mixed together, that's why we decided to make this mod in the first place. Now you have much more control over what your army is made out of.

Maybe with a little pressure from the rest of you guys, we might get armagan to follow our lead. :smile:

Back
Top Bottom