SP Native okiN's and Lost-Lamb's Troop Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Tired of sergeants stabbing themselves to death with their awlpikes? Never again.

Download Horse Archer Melee version
Download Horse Archer Non Melee version

We reworked the whole troops.txt to make more specific kinds of troops and we hope that you'll like it, any suggestions and especially bug reports are very much appreciated.

As usual the mod works by putting the troops.txt in the "*Mount&BladeModsNative" folder, please remember to back up

THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH OLD SAVES

Changes:

General

All ranged units have had their shields and two handed weapons removed.
The Troop layout has been changed a lot as seen here(Swadian) and here(Vaegir)
Dark Knights have had their saddle horses changed to chargers :twisted:
Scout added, a new tier 2 ranged unit
Footmen/Veterans have given their polearms to their light counteparts

Vaegir

Added Horse Archers, now with melee weapons
Infantry/Swordsman: One handed weapons(mostly swords for Infantry and all swords for Swordsman) and shields
Heavy Inf/Guard: Two handed weapons for Heavy Infantry and all Bardiches for Guards
Light Inf/Pikeman: Polearms
Knight/Lancer: all lances from Knights have been transferred to the Lancers

Swadian

Bows removed from Crossbowmen&Sharpshooters and added Skirmisher>Longbowman>Marksman path
Infantry/Swordsman: Same as Vaegir
Heavy Inf/Champion: Two handed weapons all the way
Light Inf/Pikeman: Polearms
Knight/Lancer same as above[/url]

Nice idea and I will give it a try. The only suggestion from me is to leave lances to knights (at least swadian). It was knight's primary weapon and i like to keep this.
Lancers could use just faster horses do compensate this.
Or other idea - lancers could use great lance, knights double sided (or whatever it names), which is shorter but hits harder. It would give lancers their niche in the field.
Anyway - I like your idea. Defintely will try as soon I'm back home (maybe sunday)
Best wishes.

Yes we too discussed that issue for long. The problem is that real knights charged with the lance trough the enemy ranks, swerved and unsheated their swords. The AI in M&B is atleast not yet capable of that, which is why we decided to separate them

I understand... The real lance usually was broken with first contact, therefore knights had to use other weapons.
Maybe you can mod the lance to make it breakable with hit points (just like shield is)/ Or to give it kind of "ammunition" like missile weapons to simulate lance breaks after initial charge.
Just couple of ideas. Nothing to stick to.
Regards and thank you for your work.

Indeed, as Lost-Lamb explained, we decided to separate knights from their lances, since at the moment although the AI is capable of making couched lance attacks, it tends to just sit around and poke people with the lance after the initial charge, and often gets punished pretty severely for that.

We're still planning a few changes, such as making scouts available in taverns (At the moment you can only get ranged units by hiring peasants), changing the loot of the units to match their weapons (As soon as we figure out how to do that) and adding the new units to AI-controlled parties, but the framework for unit advancement is finished for now.

I disagree with giving Horse-Archers melee weapons. They tend to just go in and use their melee weapons instead of running away while shooting the enemy.

ShangTang said:
I disagree with giving Horse-Archers melee weapons. They tend to just go in and use their melee weapons instead of running away while shooting the enemy.

AH! :lol: Finally someone agrees with me, thats exactly why the originals didn't have melee weapons. not having them means they get squished once dismounted but I always prefered that. Would you like me to uppload the version I'm using? (Horse Archers have melee weapons removed else the same)

Yeah, I'd think that'd be better. The frustration of losing one horse archer is better than losing all of them to bull-headed charges. :grin:

In mag-7 vaegir horse-archers currently have swords (nordic usually I think). I put them in cuz in a big battle the horse-archers quickly run out of arrows and then they just stand there getting cut down. They dont even ride around if on charge(3).

They will do great with the shooting and then suddenly the screen is full of. "...killed vaegir horsearcher". heh. When I go look they are all just standing around getting beat on.

My 2 cents.

Im pretty sure they only get one stack of arrows or bolts. Im not 100% though. I remember filling the horse-archer inventory with arrows all in different places trying to get more picked up.

Thats a good work around. Personally Id add an item though. Call it horse-archer_quiver and give em 100 or so.. Cant imagine theyll use that up without killiing everyone or being dead.

You can justify they have way more arrrows cuz, hello, they have a horse. I wouldnt modify the standard archers though but thats just me. At most id give them an "npc_archer_quiver" with 50 arrows.

It does introduce more problems with mod compatibility though.. Mods would have to agree to a standardized position for these special quivers.

It would make sense to me to have 48 arrows for foot archers or mélee-armed horse archers and 72 for horse archers without backups. 40 bolts for crossbowmen, 21 javelins/axes/jarids, 42 throwing knives or 45 throwing daggers for throwers. In other words, have the quiver size correspond to the amount of slots available.

I had to persuade Lost-Lamb to give the horse archers scimitars and sabres, because although they should mainly be missile troops, they should also be able to defend themselves or act as light cavalry if the need arises. But I think the AI should be adjusted and the range at which missile troops switch to mélee should be made much shorter. I don't know if that's moddable, if not, someone should suggest it to armagan.

Back
Top Bottom