Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

That's a sculpt, probably around or high up the 10 million mark.

Also, lookin' good, Curtis, very solid anatomy all around, curious to see it developing  :q

Things that could use some fixin':

-The teeth insertion looks kinda unnatural;
-Breast muscles could have a smoother transition in the lower part;
-Hand veins have strange directions.

yea it's few million, it's from zbrush so ye.

SacredStoneHead said:
Things that could use some fixin':

-The teeth insertion looks kinda unnatural;
-Breast muscles could have a smoother transition in the lower part;
-Hand veins have strange directions.

i completely agree about the veins, I'm still working on them, his body is mostly symmetrical once i break the symmetry i'll fix the veins.  i was thinking of making an expression with mouth open or something, we'll see. but yeah teeth are gonna change probably.

about pecs you are right, i didn't notice that earlier, thanks.

La Grandmaster said:
2) Not sure how accurate this is but, a tangent in this case is a vector which is perpendicular to the surface of a model (if you imagine the direction the surface of a model is facing then it is perpendicular to this), the "direction" a surface is facing is called the normal vector, hence normal mapping. So I would guess that recompute tangent directions performs some sort of calculation which works out a tangent but takes into account the normal map. Again I have no idea how accurate any of this is, I am not professionally trained but this is how I understand it in my head  :smile:
The tangent is indeed a vector perpendicular to the vertex normal and points in the direction of the u coordinates (and the bitangent points in the direction of the v coordinates). The math is relatively complex. The normal map comes in later, where the vertex normal is rotated--the tangent and bitantgent are used here as the axes of rotation.

I started doing some olive trees but for now it's only one model, just rotated for the screenshot... is it coming out any good? doing this kind of stuff for the warband engine is very hard and "painful" because ingame nothing looks like how it should be.
5p3mnk.jpg

In my opinion everything is looking very nice ! The trees are good, but the guy standing arround there is just amazing xD
It reminds me on this Bannerlord style

ElPadrino said:
Is there a fresnel effect ?
yup.

fedeita said:
I started doing some olive trees but for now it's only one model, just rotated for the screenshot... is it coming out any good? doing this kind of stuff for the warband engine is very hard and "painful" because ingame nothing looks like how it should be.
5p3mnk.jpg

They're nice and the leaf texture is spot on (wonder where you got it from, i can never find good branches), but they'd look better with more than one main branch coming from the base.
Olive trunks are really gnarly and taper off irregularly too, sometimes turning at right angles. You also get separated clumps of foliage of varying density in olives, so you could save polys and give the tree some variation by spreading out/thinning out the leaves a bit.

jacobhinds said:
ElPadrino said:
Is there a fresnel effect ?
yup.

They're nice and the leaf texture is spot on (wonder where you got it from, i can never find good branches), but they'd look better with more than one main branch coming from the base.
Olive trunks are really gnarly and taper off irregularly too, sometimes turning at right angles. You also get separated clumps of foliage of varying density in olives, so you could save polys and give the tree some variation by spreading out/thinning out the leaves a bit.
Yes you are right, olive trees are all irregular

Yes jacobhind you're right, the olive trees have an irregular shape and they are really hard to model, in fact I've never seen one done right in a game.
I will try to make the branches longer and the leaves smaller but when I tried to spread the leaves it looked really ugly ingame, that's why I made them closer to the trunk.
When the model will look good I will add some bifurcations, what do you think?

SomeRandomTiger said:
First time doing 3d'ing in a while so I decided to start with something rather simple.

Vp5Crsq.png

Wow... teach me!!! I always screw up the normal maps that I make in Crazy bump, but just the plain texture I can make. I actually just bought a $60 Trust drawing tablet because I'm decided that I'm going to get good at something now, and that is 3D modeling and texturing. The problem with me is that I can't come up with something to model, and I have hard time making a model only for practice. Okay, but now I'm pumped to make another model, think I'm gonna be making a Roman Sheild. This thread is great for inspiration and motivation!

Is that easier? and is it do-able in Blender 3D? If so I will have to find a tutorial on that. I've started on my Roman Shield now. Just finishing up the straps on the backside of the shield.
I'm using this design as guide line, not going to copy it completley, I think the backside will be the same material as the front side, and I'm gonna make my own Eagle Wings design on the front.
Decorative_Roman_Shield__37385.1405340176.1280.1280.jpg

SacredStoneHead said:
Oliver Qvist said:
Is that easier? and is it do-able in Blender 3D?

You shouldn't be questioning 'easier' when your aim is to become good at something.

And yes, you can do it in Blender 3d, Google is your friend.

If there is a easier way to do normal maps, why should I be doing it the hard way? I think often knowing the easy and effective way means you are experianced and good at what you do, while a beginner would do the first obvious thing that he read on WikiHow.

giphy.gif

No but okay, I see what you are saying. I kinda quit on my model now, I uv unwrap it, everything is fine but one of the straps on the back side is like all crubbled up in the uv image, and I did the same seam cutting as I did with the other strap wich came out perfect.  :shock:

pwHjroP.jpg

I can't find the issue and that is really frustrating.  :sad:

Baking normals from a high-poly can be easier and more efficient if you're less of a texture artist and more of a modeler. A really good high-poly can also lead to a more accurate normal map than something hand-painted, if done correctly.

Back
Top Bottom