Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

That's a good tutorial to reference, he skips a few basic things if I recall.
Firstly Setup Mental Ray Sun and Sky for a nice result.
Go to Render Settings:
Indirect Lighting Tab:
Under Environment create Physical Sun and Sky.

Add a new material to a cube, Mia_Material (not a plane)
Go to Attribute Editor for the Material and top right click Presets,
Click water and replace.

Then reference the tutorial to better understand each attribute.
I got some pretty good results from it.

Hiya,
I'm making Theoden's helmet from the Lord of the Rings for The Veiled Stars. This is what I have this morning - I wondered if anybody might have any tips on UV mapping this, or making convincing textures? Or if anybody sees any problems with the model, please let me know!

9517_press02-001.jpg

I slapped it on top of a Native head model for reference.

w8eXjBB.png

JnayMil.png

I'll texture it tomorrow, probably. I need to do some more item stats today.

Let me know what you experts think!

It's 664 polygons and 590 vertices.

Model the part that's on top of the nose guard as well as the horse head as a separate object (that way you can get rid of them when you generate lods). Extrude the cheekguards more. As for UV-mapping, I recommend leaving a strip at the bottom for the leather neckguards, another strip for the decorative ribbons (use it for both the top of the head and above the neckguards), another section for the eye/noseguard (projected from the front), another section for the cheekguard (projected from the side), one section for the symmetrical floral patterns at the top of the helmet (use it for all 4 sections), and another section for the horse-head + mane and the decoration at the back, with another generic leather pattern for the inside of the helmet.

Somebody said:
Model the part that's on top of the nose guard as well as the horse head as a separate object (that way you can get rid of them when you generate lods).
Already did that as I made it. There are four parts: leather neckguard, the base helmet, the nosepiece and the horse head crest.

Somebody said:
Extrude the cheekguards more.
Gotcha.

Somebody said:
As for UV-mapping, I recommend leaving a strip at the bottom for the leather neckguards, another strip for the decorative ribbons (use it for both the top of the head and above the neckguards), another section for the eye/noseguard (projected from the front), another section for the cheekguard (projected from the side), one section for the symmetrical floral patterns at the top of the helmet (use it for all 4 sections), and another section for the horse-head + mane and the decoration at the back, with another generic leather pattern for the inside of the helmet.
Thanks. I'll do my best!

Do you guys know what's wrong with this glasses model when ingame, there's nothing wrong in open brf or when I made it but when I look at it up close ingame it looks like this. Anyone know what's wrong, doubt it could the shader or material settings.

Yeah, I actually was going to get around to doing something with that (seeing underwater and stuff) but I spent way too long goofing off with the rest of it  :lol:

Oh, and up on YouTube, somebody asked about what it's doing, besides color stuff.

It's doing a lot of stuff here; hue changes, wind value changes (that effect surface turbulence and surface displacement) it now takes the static shadowmap... and other things.  I also plugged the foliage into the wind system but I haven't really done anything interesting with that yet.

Oh, and:
Do you guys know what's wrong with this glasses model when ingame, there's nothing wrong in open brf or when I made it but when I look at it up close ingame it looks like this. Anyone know what's wrong, doubt it could the shader or material settings.
Probably just distortion from the head?  That's always a problem but there's no really good fix.

Austupaio said:
Multimesh, make sure that the bit that you want to not be distorted is loaded after the first mesh.

I would except regular M&B does not allow for multimesh for anything except scene props. Guess it'll have to stay that way, nobody I'll notice it anyway as you have to zoom up close.

Why is their distortion from the head, how does that even happen.

Why is their distortion from the head, how does that even happen.
It's because of the way that FaceGen works.  Basically, it's the same system that distorts the head geometry; the best fix is to address the problems with the TW heads so that we don't get so much distortion; I was going to get to that for male heads but I've been a little too busy.

[EDIT]Got it done really fast.  Guess I learned a few things from the process of doing it with the girls.[/EDIT]

Here's a video.

Nice video, how did you go about doing that. How do you go about editing shaders anyway, the ones you have created look really great.

Im learning to do nice hand painted textures. These are my first steps, far from nice right now Im affraid. Id be glad for any tips you could toss in.

5dw61d.png

Its supposed to be some kinda mask made of wood. Because its all handpainted there is no wood texture on it so far, Id add that from photo with alpha via gimp when Im happy about shades and colors.

What program are you using. If you're using Photoshop or Gimp, try to use a smoother brush, as some pixelation is visible. Another thing you might want to try if you're using PS/Gimp is to lay out paths and then stroke them instead of hand painting every line--you can save and edit the paths later, and if for some reason you screw up later, you can always re-stroke the path.

All of this was one painted directly in Blender on the model. There is only one layer and you have less tools at your disposal, but the advantage, a huge advantage, is that you draw directly on the model in real time. Normaly I use gimp for buildings and similar larger stuff, but here I thought I would try this approach as its more precise (as in its easier to draw small details exactly where you want them).

Hm so after finally finding a quick way to render out grass (using displacement maps) I am now back to the water, for some reason I cant get my water to look like the ones on the tutorial, I had a pretty good result before but the tutorial one looks amazing, owell, Just trying to figure out how to animate the water by using fractals!

Back
Top Bottom