Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

@Kocken:  Wow, still going on this project, huh?  Nice work thus far :smile:

I'm not a historical expert on Greek hoplite armor, and I think for a piece of this complexity where you're aiming for accuracy, you should consult the museum curators and attempt to get more photographs of the relevant pieces from various angles, but a lot of the details of your piece don't seem quite right.

1.  The greaves are, I think, too enclosing.  The real things had to be able to be taken off without too much hassle, and had wider openings on the rear.  Note that most of the greaves in the historical collections have small holes in the sheet metal, which strongly suggests that they were tied to a backing, probably linen stuffed with a bit of cotton, hair, or even grass, much like Medieval helmets were, in order to ensure a tight fit and comfort while marching and fighting.

2.  The chest armor seems a bit exaggerated.  It's far too constrictive, and the short tunic was probably not the way it was normally worn, as the armor would pinch the skin when going through a lot of evolutions during practice or during war.  A more realistic interpretation can be gotten from the few attempts to fully re-create this kind of armor or by looking at the (few) extant examples of remaining artifacts, not that crappy Osprey illustration everybody seems to base this kind of thing on, which to me doesn't look like a functional armor.  Remember, people still had to have a full range of motion in this gear; anything in armor that would severely restrict motion is pretty suspect.  The biggest issue I see with the chest armor is that it's too form-fitting at the top, where generally it is pushed far more forwards in real armors (move your upper arms in sword-fighting motions or spear-stabs, you'll see why you need room up there).

thx, I agree about making it roomier around the shoulders aswell as giving the armor some padding around that area and I will also look over all of the other things. I'm not going for complete historical accuracy, but more like historical believable. :smile:

Well, Historians would just flip on the model (some do, Trust me I know) But in any case I too do this sometimes. But I like it. I like the look and the shape.

Aaaand...it works!

First test with particle-generated chainmail ahead.

It still need a lot of refinement on the subdivision, but I'm happy with it as a first run, I was expecting it to be far worse.

8738410196_aa0477d5a1_c.jpg

A really lowpoly speed-model of a non-existant rifle for a small game I'm prototyping.
209 polygons. :razz:
Q9VumGn.png

zKwidn3.png
This is my first gun model, excluding a couple of higher-poly pistols I did a lot of time ago. Took me about 30 min to do, which is probably too much, but I'm still mostly a newbie with 3D modelling.

@Jusdwer:  Welcome, always glad to see a new face :smile:  Looks like you're going to have a lovely fantasy city built here :smile:

If you want detailed critique, please show us the individual pieces, preferably with some stats and wireframe views or put the meshes up on P3D.

@Al_Mansur:  Way too high-poly for that, unfortunately; the windows and stuff are all modeled in.  It looks like it's a bunch of modular parts that he threw together for presentation.

@SSH:  Lookin' great there; I can see where you're getting ready for the low-poly and that's really looking well-organized :smile:  I love the maille; hope that technique works, I've never tried anything like that before, so I'm excited to hear whether it produces a decent normalmap :smile:

@Rgcotl:  That's gorgeous!  Somehow I passed by that yesterday.  The only thing I can critique on that piece is that it's relying a lot on alpha transparency, which can be fairly expensive, because a lot of texels will need to get alpha-tested every pass.  However, on this engine, that's probably the better choice than having all the strips modeled, since that's more-or-less offloading the task to the GPU, rather than pushing more triangles.  Anyhow, I love the piece, it's got great character and the metal feels pretty good :smile:

Al_Mansur said:
Nice, it could be a good map icon if you use more realistic textures.

@Al_Mansur: Thanks. In fact, rather than as a map icon on the interior of the castle in the city will serve as a mode of working. However, the use of the model as the icon out of the map to add a few things. 've Inspired me :smile:

@xenoargh: Thank you. You are right. Upon completion of the model will do as you say. :smile:

Still working on the texture, and don't mind the untextured treads or wheels, I've yet to UV map them.

yUoOKdT.png

EDIT:
Slightly less flat texture with a more metallic look (well as close as I can get with my photoshop skills):

92IA6ad.png

interesting tank you got there;

wip head,
http://skfb.ly/5lk43hgd0a
any major stuff or everything you see that is bad, point it out, would appreciate it

Wrote a fairly decent parallax shader, finally.  I guess that means I need to finish the hair stuff.

parallax_new001.jpg

parallax_new002.jpg

parallax_new003.jpg

Good news:  it can make things appear to have a great deal more depth, and it no longer suffers from weird distortion / fisheye behaviors at certain distances and vectors, like the old one I wrote did; I finally got all the math sorted. 

Bad news: its quality and feeling of depth is massively dependent on the quality of the normalmaps and depth.  I've also decided that just to keep things simpler for me on the production end, so it will use standard tangent-space normal maps, since that family of shaders is the only one that used the green ones (TW tried to write this kind of shader and ran into the same issues I did, but I've solved the issues).  I will be having to rebuild practically all of the normalmaps for the castle walls, because, well, I've converted them back and they aren't terribly good.  All the weird distortions in Native that aren't being caused by their funky fresnel and other issues are largely the fault of the normalmaps.  So I'm going to just do it the hard way and make them good, if I can.

Almost done texturing, just have the tracks to do and a few minor improvements and I will have finished my first properly UV textured model.

jrFin5B.png

By the way anybody have any tips on making a tank metal texture in photoshop or blender?, I've gotten it as close as I can but I'm still not pleased with how it has turned out so far.

Volkonski said:
Almost done texturing, just have the tracks to do and a few minor improvements and I will have finished my first properly UV textured model.

jrFin5B.png

By the way anybody have any tips on making a tank metal texture in photoshop or blender?, I've gotten it as close as I can but I'm still not pleased with how it has turned out so far.

Nice tank  :smile:  I would say that it needs more details however - like separate plates of metal/ grooves. e.g
tank-03.jpg

Also to get it too look more metal like you could try using a metal texture as on overlay layer (or one of the other layer modes you get in photoshop). And then with a specular and normalmap it should look much better in game.

Back
Top Bottom