Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Sweet, sweet, SWEET stuff going on here. Keep it up everyone.

@Xeno: Sweet texturing on the mask. And about the whole character setup, I love the shield. Really like it.
@Docm: Love those swords, excelent bakes.
@Dia: A very good render. Tweak the the things xeno listed. Otherwise, very well done!

Jesus. I was about to post some WIP pics but I´m feeling rather...unworthy right now.
Great job everyone!

I started working on this chainmail armor (my first ever)
armorx.png
. I was wondering if anyone might give me some feedback, and is there any tutorials on adding armor to warband?

Kocken said:
armorx.png
. I was wondering if anyone might give me some feedback, and is there any tutorials on adding armor to warband?

Actually looks pretty good, even putting aside that its your first model  :grin:  Looks slightly weird around the neck/chin bit, although I dont know if its meant to look like that. Maybe need to make few edges hard but im not too sure. Just need to uv map it and texture it now  :grin:

Hi Kocken, welcome!

OK, I'm going to just give you some technical information / rules of thumb.  I'll let others critique the model.

1.  M&B models are animated from the classic T position, not the modern relaxed stance.  Doesn't really matter a great deal atm, just bear that in mind when moving on to rig; you'll need to reposition the arms and legs.

2.  Check the proportions out very carefully before moving on to skin; the proportions of M&B models are a little funky.  Nothing major but I thought I'd say that now so that you don't waste time. 

3.  Bear in mind that you'll want to save as many triangles as you can on the big surfaces.  It all looks acceptable in this shot but it's hard to say without having numbers for triangles and verts.  Try to keep the body model (I presume that the head / maille there is meant to be a helmet model only) under 2500 triangles for LOD0, but basically be ruthless wherever you can be, while leaving yourself plenty of loops in the critical areas (the shoulders and the groin / hip joints).

La Grandmaster said:
Kocken said:
armorx.png

Actually looks pretty good, even putting aside that its your first model  :grin:  Looks slightly weird around the neck/chin bit, although I dont know if its meant to look like that. Maybe need to make few edges hard but im not too sure. Just need to uv map it and texture it now  :grin:

Im not sure what is causing that strange shadow under the chin. will look into it. got rid of it by hardening some of the edges.
xenoargh said:
Hi Kocken, welcome!

OK, I'm going to just give you some technical information / rules of thumb.  I'll let others critique the model.

1.  M&B models are animated from the classic T position, not the modern relaxed stance.  Doesn't really matter a great deal atm, just bear that in mind when moving on to rig; you'll need to reposition the arms and legs.

2.  Check the proportions out very carefully before moving on to skin; the proportions of M&B models are a little funky.  Nothing major but I thought I'd say that now so that you don't waste time. 

3.  Bear in mind that you'll want to save as many triangles as you can on the big surfaces.  It all looks acceptable in this shot but it's hard to say without having numbers for triangles and verts.  Try to keep the body model (I presume that the head / maille there is meant to be a helmet model only) under 2500 triangles for LOD0, but basically be ruthless wherever you can be, while leaving yourself plenty of loops in the critical areas (the shoulders and the groin / hip joints).
ok, right now the armor model (yes it is separate from the helmet) is 2300 tris ( i can reduce this quite alot i think... gonna reposition arms and legs and scale it all to fit m&b body mesh. Thanks for the input.

The Dark Fang.  Model by Wheene with a lot of work by me, paint by me.
772 triangles, 604 verts, 512 skins.
dark_fang01.jpg
dark_fang02.jpg

This was my second delving into the world of Sculptris, and it's the result of a fairly frustrating few hours.  It's a very unusual piece (even by my admittedly-funky standards) but a lot of it was stuff I was figuring out on the fly, more or less.  That, and the pommel, which I'm sure that some will love and some will hate.  It was a really weird fantasy spiky-bits design and I decided, for no particular reason, that it looked like the claw of something had been conjoined with the handle and what the heck, I was figuring out what I could and couldn't do with Sculptris anyhow.  10 minutes later, claw happened :lol:

1.  Sculptris hates mirrored geometry.  Seriously going to have to write them about that, it really irks me.  Had to tear the mesh apart and use a modified version to get around that.
2.  Doing organics is really easy.  Doing inorganics, especially anything demanding clean linear work, is just about impossible.
3.  The hilt came about while screwing around with the texture-to-height stuff, which is very limiting due to the way it works.  I really don't like that I can't tell it to tile strictly, period... "no, don't dump random height data over on that geometry" <thud of mouse hitting wall>
4.  It appears that selection / hiding is pretty 'orrible atm; you have to break up the object into discrete objects to be able to manipulate it in a way that makes sense.  That by itself is almost a show-stopper for me; I want to grab a section of the uvmap and the geometry it represents... and nothing else, please-and-thank-you, no, I don't want to work on that bit, just that other bit...  Doesn't appear to be possible atm, caused much frustration and really is a big deal, since I strongly prefer to box-model stuff as one unitary object whenever possible.

If you having trouble I would reccomend trying Mudbox it's not as good as Zbrush but better than Sculptris and it's alot more user friendly.

xenoargh said:
1.  Sculptris hates mirrored geometry.  Seriously going to have to write them about that, it really irks me.  Had to tear the mesh apart and use a modified version to get around that.
2.  Doing organics is really easy.  Doing inorganics, especially anything demanding clean linear work, is just about impossible.
3.  The hilt came about while screwing around with the texture-to-height stuff, which is very limiting due to the way it works.  I really don't like that I can't tell it to tile strictly, period... "no, don't dump random height data over on that geometry" <thud of mouse hitting wall>
4.  It appears that selection / hiding is pretty 'orrible atm; you have to break up the object into discrete objects to be able to manipulate it in a way that makes sense.  That by itself is almost a show-stopper for me; I want to grab a section of the uvmap and the geometry it represents... and nothing else, please-and-thank-you, no, I don't want to work on that bit, just that other bit...  Doesn't appear to be possible atm, caused much frustration and really is a big deal, since I strongly prefer to box-model stuff as one unitary object whenever possible.

Why would you rant about sculptris it's supposed to be limited because it's free if they added all the good features from zbrush to sculptris what money would they be getting? I am not quite sure what do you mean by program hating mirrored geometry because I used to use it and it was fine maybe you didn't set up the model right, maybe your pivot was incorrect or you didn't reset the xform.

To do hardsurface modeling you are supposed to make the model in 3ds max for example add supporting edges and then import it in sculptris for detail. That is IF you want it to be clean and since you are working on a sword that would be the case. You have to break up objects in zbrush as well because once you get to retopologizing and baking that's where it becomes useful.

Sculptris is fine.

I'd be perfectly willing to buy something that was cleaner and less everything-in-one-place than zBrush is, more scaled towards doing realtime asset work and priced affordably. 

I can see the utility of having a lightweight sculpt program like Sculptris around to do some final work on things where it's worth the time.  The sword was just a test piece to see what was and wasn't actually fun and easy to do compared to what I already know.

I'll probably check out Mudbox, but it's still way outside my price range atm to get it legit.  If you aren't a student, it's $800 / seat, yo.

hi

X34RB.png

folds on the back are total ****, have to fix that i dont know what happened to my brush.

EDIT:

I just noticed how terrible my folds are, I need to go back and fix it. f u c k

Back
Top Bottom