Official 3D art thread - Warband

Users who are viewing this thread

Not until I've tried it myself!  :grin:

I'll tell ya how it goes with an uber smoothed sword or something...

Edit:

Me vs 4 river pirates all armed with an 8438 poly sword went okay ... I did notice a little laggyness but I do not have fraps installed right now so I couldn't be sure....

Something cool is that the sword is like perforated and has all these little tiny holes through it for some reason... here's a pic:

In conclusion, I would say that Silver's advice is good advice!  :razz:

(yes, I made a 100% neon green armor!) :lol:

Here's the wireframe, as requested.

bastardswordwireek2.jpg

Looking at it myself I see that the cylinder I used for the handle seems to be the culprit for a lot of tris, and, of course, the sphere and torus. I haven't tried my hand at texturing yet, but maybe I can cut some faces and use a texture to make the same effect?

Anyway, with no specific limit on tris, does anyone know the amount of tris in the weapon models in native?
Edit; Reading Highelf's thread about modelling right now, got plenty of numbers in there for me to look at  :grin:

Make the handle 8-sided instead of sixteen. Remove the three dividing lines in it, they are completely redundant. Remove half the rings for the torus, and make the cylinder 8-sided as well. Still don't see the blade very well, you don't have any clear shots of it. You could probably remove a lot there as well.

It also looks like you have a ton of bad geometry there where you bridged the sphere and the torus together. An edge should only ever have a maximum of two faces sharing it. Any more and it becomes "non-manifold", ie. bad geometry. You'll get bad lighting artifacts around that area in many game engines, if the engine will accept it at all.

Just a future tip for displaying wireframes....display a shaded model with the wires from several angles, rather than just the wires themselves. It's a lot easier to "read" the mesh if you're looking for comments and criticism. See yellowmosquito's building on the previous page for a good example.

Very, very highpoly. Use at least have as many sides to cylinders, and cones. The spikes look like they point in different directions and they seem to be of different size. It also looks like you need to learn how to use hard edges.

The model has 559 polys, i know its a bit much, but i wasn't trying to do an optimized version. The spikes are all the same length (they were duplicated) and stand on the center of each separate face on the mace head.
What are hard edges and their use?  :oops:
thanks for the reply  :grin:

Ti Jakim said:
What are hard edges and their use?  :oops:
This is from the tutorial on advanced modeling:

"Ending tips

-hard edges will make the edges visible on your mesh. (select edges <right click> <hardness> <soft or hard edges> )
-all edges are soft by default
-Hard edges stop the smoothing of those edges."
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,14395.new.html#new
You could read through that. A lot of good tips (and I like your model by the way  :smile: )

Thanks, the mesh looks much better now with hard edges  :smile:
right now I'm halfway through highelf's video tutorials, didn't get to the advanced stuff yet.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and thanks again for the tips  :grin:

Okay, so I got bored and decided to practice my uv-mapping. It didn't go very well, and I got tired of moving verts around to get it perfect. Anyway, the model is a collaboration between me and Vlad. The texture is some junk I threw togheter for another model and just put on this thing to make it look prettier, but admittedly, not by much :razz:

Enjoy:
modifiedpolearmlk8.png

470 tris. A bit can be cut, but I don't know if we'll bother. It's one of the highest poly weapons I've had a part in making in a long time, so it should be low enough since it's a pretty rare one.

Back
Top Bottom