Off map Artillery

Users who are viewing this thread

Chen1201

Regular
I think it would be cool if the commander could have the ability to call in off map artillery barrages of maybe like 5 - 10 shells being dropped in a certain area. The officer could use the binocs and maybe press like f1 or something to call it in. It would help with softening up fortified trenches and even though we have mortars and the 75mm, it is really hard to accurately and effectively hit or surpress an enemy trench.

Chen1201 said:
I think it would be cool if the commander could have the ability to call in off map artillery barrages of maybe like 5 - 10 shells being dropped in a certain area. The officer could use the binocs and maybe press like f1 or something to call it in. It would help with softening up fortified trenches and even though we have mortars and the 75mm, it is really hard to accurately and effectively hit or surpress an enemy trench.

As cool as that would be the balance might be a little in trouble. Maybe if there was like a 5 minute cool down it could work, and maybe not to many shells like 2 or 3.

QWW said:
Chen1201 said:

As cool as that would be the balance might be a little in trouble. Maybe if there was like a 5 minute cool down it could work, and maybe not to many shells like 2 or 3.

It would be cool but I think more shells would look and sound better (and may be more authentic, I wouldn't know). But then cool-down could be increased to may be 6 minutes if not more. Features like these, though, shouldn't be rushed in right now because I'm pretty sure the current content can be improved.

Of course the cooldown for the artillery would be around 5 - 7 min and the amount of shells won't be overkill but it would help to soften up a fortified trench because on some maps with only 1 neutral capture point its basically impossible for the opposing team to capture the center and mortars and the 75mm dont help much cause they are hard to aim.

Well, the mortars are not hard to aim but the time between firing a shot and impact is relatively long and dangerous to use as a softening up method.  Many times I have put a steady mortar fire on an enemy position and successfully made a clearing only to have another shell I fired before it was clear instead come down on a friendly or two who tried to cap the flag.  A barrage would be useful in that it would be recognizable as a barrage and when it lets up nearby infantry would know it is safe to make a dash for the flag.  Definitely needs a long cool-down time and probably should be limited to the Artillery Officer class.

NOOOO! That would remove the purpose of arty! As someone who is a leader of an arty division I would cry! I love using the arty in the game and can't wait for the gas shells!

lolman1c said:
NOOOO! That would remove the purpose of arty! As someone who is a leader of an arty division I would cry! I love using the arty in the game and can't wait for the gas shells!

But most of arty was firing from kilometers behing the front line

lolman1c said:
Well Player arty will still be effective its just that the off map arty will be more accurate and condensed but will have a long cooldown....so your guys can still drop in those mortars all you want :razz:

Harada said:
lolman1c said:

But most of arty was firing from kilometers behing the front line
Chen1201 said:
lolman1c said:
Well Player arty will still be effective its just that the off map arty will be more accurate and condensed but will have a long cooldown....so your guys can still drop in those mortars all you want :razz:

Yeah and ww1 charges had thousands of people involved not 10 un-organised randomers on a server... It shouldn't matter, I can still do pin point accuracy with the arty guns on this game from anywhere on the map. The maps I make for my regiment are huge and the arty can shoot from the very corners of the map and do a lot of damage anywhere. ones you are trained there is nothing faster and more powerful than a team of artillery men in this game, removing their main use on cannons is like removing the cavalry from NW and having bots charge in for you. Lots of people will become useless and the whole idea of a big organisation of lots of regiments each playing a different part to all help each other win the match is destroyed. Plus how would the officer without a radio or field phone even call the arty in? The passion I have for arty in the game and NW is too much so I am sorry if you found this angry. :3

Back
Top Bottom