not a fan of the "main quest"

Users who are viewing this thread

I've spent over 4 hours now running around the map looking for nobles for the "investigate Neretzes's Folly" quest and found 2 out of 10, with no other progression.
at this point its just really tedious and unrewarding.
maybe im missing something but this doesnt seem like a very well designed introduction to the game.

Then don't do it. It provides you with the basics of the game initially and if you continue along it you will learn the rest of the game mechanics slowly but surely. It is a guide for new players to the series or fans of linearity.

Funny enough i feel forced to do it too, what is complete crap.
Just try to ignore it, nothing will happen.
I had 2000+ hours on warband and if i am not very wrong i never did the introduction quest there.

If you lose track of the next NPC, talk to any noble of a faction and they’ll point you to the next one. Then click on the highlighted name to point you to that persons most recent location. If you also just want to get it over with, enable cheats so you can teleport across the map. A quick google will show you how to do this.

I managed to get it done but getting lucky and having most the lords in one relative location, after that though you have to talk to more people who tell you to raid camps, one such being a forest bandit camp with quite the garrison, so basically you can't actually beat the quest

It felt very much like the Nate/Nora/Shaun situation in FO4 to me.
"Here's this story that is totally and absolutely your own, oh but you have this specific familial history that hangs over your head the entire time which you feel obliged to follow through with because it's grating on your roleplaying."

Guys, I did this quest without even trying. I was just running around the map killing bandits and going to tournaments.

Don’t focus in the quest, don’t even ask any lords about where the other lords are at.

During your travels you will see lords with a blue exclamation point over their heads. Talk to them and boom mark one down.

In all honesty its a really easy quest to do if you’re focusing on other things. Just keep an eye out for those exclamation marks. I completed it by day 50 without even searching for lords.

Ignoring it is an option but the fact remains it is a poorly designed quest - they NEED to change it. The goal of the quest is to interest you - I decided to rp it and my character would try to make the big bucks to save his family. Some lords were in armies - haven't found a way to interact with a member of an army - some were prisoners -I took the time to bribe my way into the dungeons and the dude just said he wasn't allowed to talk to me. It just feels like wasted potential. Maybe reduce the number of nobles required,I don't know, but it should not feel the way it did. I really hope they improve the whole main quest thing.

Something funny I noticed was when I clicked on my brother, it just had "Placeholder Text" where his stats were supposed to be, which pretty much confirms they didn't finish his mission. In my opinion anyway.
Here's an image to it:
Sorry about taking a photo of my screen, I was too lazy to go out of full screen.

Guys, I did this quest without even trying. I was just running around the map killing bandits and going to tournaments.

Don’t focus in the quest, don’t even ask any lords about where the other lords are at.

During your travels you will see lords with a blue exclamation point over their heads. Talk to them and boom mark one down.

In all honesty its a really easy quest to do if you’re focusing on other things. Just keep an eye out for those exclamation marks. I completed it by day 50 without even searching for lords.
I think you were INSANELY lucky then. Im at day 200 and I have been activley hounding these bloody bastards for 2 days now. So far I have found 8. It takes me between an hour or two 2 hours to find one because they NEVER. SIT. STILL.

It doesent help much that the 'last seen' feature doesent seem to pickup every town or village that they pass by. Sometimes I find that they half a continent away from the point where they were the day before. Another problem: I find the closest one to me and try to track them but at the same time got to keep my guys fed and paid. So I have to fight bandits or do quests. I try to do some smithing as well but tbh this quests takes WAY to long to complete.

The tutorial was brilliant, up to this point. It was concise and straight to the point while having a nice story link for the player to be invested in. In my opinion they should change it to talking to one, to learn of the general gist of the story. They could maybe make it a secondary (but unrequired) quest to talk to the remaining 9 for their perspective. Because seriously. I have to travel an entire continent to ask a few nobles about their side of the story.... What? How the **** will that help me free my siblings from captivity?

Honestly, no single quest; in particularly not an introductionary one should take this bloody long to complete...

I've spent over 4 hours now running around the map looking for nobles for the "investigate Neretzes's Folly" quest and found 2 out of 10, with no other progression.
maybe im missing something but this doesnt seem like a very well designed introduction to the game.
It's not worth it the main quest, is not even complete yet, just go and focus on other things. I didn't like the idea of going to all kingdoms to talk about an old war, and is worse since at the time you are doing you may be a mercernary or vassal in another faction and you are at war with the lord you want to speak of, it should be another centre faction quest or no faction at all what I think of.

The only issue I have with the quest is that it’s required to make your own kingdom and even then you’re forced to fight certain factions. I’ve set up a kingdom in 2 different saves and in both cases it ended the war I had to start to get my town and castles then arbitrarily got declared on by nations I’d never had a problem with. I never thought I’d miss every nation wanting to war with me for being an upstart wannabe king like in war and so much. At least that made some sense. Now I have 2 nations fighting side by side, in the midst of their supposed civil war, for reasons. The quest isn’t just unfinished, it doesn’t even make sense.

If you want to found your own kingdom you do have to do this mission. It is a terrible introductory quest. It took me about an hour of purely running around with the most expensive horse I could buy with no weight - it's boring and tedious.

BY FAR the fastest way to complete this quest is to ask a noble about it, so that they tell you who would know more. Then you type that person's name into the Encyclopedia (press N on campaign map) and it tells you where they were last seen. "Where they were last seen" is updated every time you enter a village or town, but not a castle.

Once you know where they last were, you go to that point, and then enter it, so that it tells you where they went again. If you're alone, you should be able to catch up to them. If you have an army, it's much harder to do this.

The tutorial is great, however the part where you have to go all over the entire continent and literally talk to 10 nobles (all faction leaders I think) is one of the worst quest designs for a "main mission" I have ever encountered in any game and is certainly the worst part of Bannerlord by an extreme margin. It is extremely tedious and its literally the first official quest of the game. Quests should feel compelling and rewarding. Not just something to progress for any reason be it "mandatory story so just throw something in there" or renown. I have played tons of MMOs and am very tired of super triviality and "grindy" quests that were just there to make it look like the game has some form of content.

It would be 100x better if it was visit 10 cities and talk to a NPC, but I still find the number 10 is quite excessive just to find out some lore about a single event. Its literally like chasing down a rat in pitch black using a flash light and a Wikipedia coordinates radar. The in game encyclopedia is very useful and informative but I find it extremely anti-immersive being forced to use a meta-game feature to start the game right off the bat. I can understand using a meta-game feature to min/max certain components of understanding a combat unit or someone's lineage, but being the requirement for the main story line and lore? Honestly just going 100% sandbox mode and giving the player the option to create their own kingdom without any preliminary content in the game at all is better than something this terrible.

How about visiting a couple famous libraries or historians, maybe a couple of nobles from the entire pool of 10 that prefer to stay at their castle. Maybe visiting some nearby villages to the training post gives the player some info about the library at a nearby city and then the historian at the library tells you that the Lord of the town (who will 100% be present at his town) has some 1st-hand experience with the matter. Chasing down certain nobles could be very interesting when used sparingly, but don't recycle the exact same mechanic over and over, especially 10x on the very 1st thing. If you want to show the player that the encyclopedia is a feature and how to use I think they will understand just using it once.

Back
Top Bottom