[Non-Beta] Issues with Native 1.4.0.229571

Users who are viewing this thread

Cheva1ier

Recruit
Summary: See list below. I wanted to note the peculiar things in the game. Some may be bugs, some may just be content that hasn't been opened yet for testing, and yet more may just be my imagination. (I will note if I saw the item in the "known issues" thread or previous patch notes.)

How to Reproduce: I will make sub-notes in parentheses for each item in the list below. I will try to keep everything short and summarized.

Quest/Settlement Name (if related): n/a or all

Media (Screenshots & Video): n/a

Version: 1.4.0.229571

Installed community-made modifications:
No

Computer Specs
:
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
CPU:
Intel Core i7-7700 3.60Ghz
RAM:
16GB
Motherboard:
n/a
Storage Device (HDD/SSD):
n/a

1.) I have noticed the changes you have made to keep a single kingdom from dominating the map early in the game, but there still seems to be some qualifiers in the game that allow a kingdom to become too powerful even if it only controls around 13 towns. Possible reasons for this:
-Mercenaries in 1.4.0.229571 are easy for the AI to hire. First come first serve. The AI seems to just hire them on a whim, but I have to physically
find the clan leader somewhere on the map if I want to hire the mercenary group.
-Mercenaries in 1.4.0.229571 are strong, fielding parties of over 100 soldiers which tend to quickly become a majority of elite independent clan- type soldiers such as the Boar Champions, Beni Zilal Royal Guards, etc. from the 11+ independent mercenary clans.
-Mercenaries can field their own armies in a kingdom.
-The Tactics advantage gives the army with the most numbers the field advantage by default. I have been trying to get my tactics and leadership
up to see if this changes but so far no luck. So even if I have a party size of 250, if I fight an army of 750 then the army of 750 will be able to
start the battle with more troops than me no matter the tier level of my troops to balance the army strength out. So I basically have to get most of my 250 soldiers to max tier just to field maybe 200 of them while the majority recruit-based AI armies still get to field 300 soldiers.
-(see problem #2) Ranged unit tweaks have given cavalry a distinct advantage. Whichever army brings the most cavalry will win the fight, and the longer an AI party goes on winning, the more cavalry they accumulate because all of their infantry and archers are dying in the auto- calculations/combat. Spearmen-type infantry can fight back effectively against cavalry if you have enough spearmen, but there is still
issues with the cavalry distracting the opposing army while their friendly infantry/archers pick off those spearmen easily.

2.) I noticed the tweaks you made to ranged combat. I tested this with a group of Battanian Fian Champions which seem to have the best foot archer stats in the game. Everything seems to be normal until I get attacked by cavalry. I feel like my archers aren't even trying to shoot at the cavalry or if they do then they are missing most of their shots as if they can't track moving targets properly. I might understand this if my foot archers were a lower tier, but the Battanian Fian Champions are max tier and with a bow skill of 260, so I don't understand why these elite veterans would have trouble shooting a single cavalry unit. The times they were able to take down mounted enemies were when the mounted units slowed down and came to a stop, or by sheer volley they were able to take the horse/camel out and then once the mounted unit was on foot he was easily picked off somehow. Whenever they aren't shooting at the mounted enemies, I am wondering if their tracking is lagging behind so they're constantly trying to bring their aim up to where it needs to be to fire their arrows and therefore getting stuck just holding their bowstrings back and not doing anything.

3.) The "Face Enemy" on the F2 direction command list works most of the time, but if the enemy cavalry/horse archers move ahead of their army to skirmish then my entire army pivots to face them, even if there are only 5-10 horse archers and their main army of 200 infantry is 50 feet away and charging.

4.) The (known issue) of problems with troop formations
-My group of Battanian infantry with Skirmishers, Veteran Skirmishers, Wildlings (which are all infantry equipped with javelins or other throwing weapons) are put into the first formation for infantry, but show up as ranged and my character shouts "Archers!" whenever I give them commands. This shows up in sieges also, and when all my cavalry units get taken off their horses, they somehow get assigned to the
"Ranged" category also.
-Once all my units are somehow assigned as Ranged in a Siege, they all stack up on the siege equipment and none of them go to skirmish
behind the protective archer screens on the battlefield so they can shoot at the defending archers on the walls. There is also no command
for this in the command menu. I have just been clicking auto-deploy and hoping it works when I start a siege by myself. It only seems to work
when I am leading an army, have a ton of disposable infantry from my AI parties, and can assign AI leaders to take command of the different
infantry, ranged, cavalry, and horse archer formations.

5.) I noticed the patch note comments you made about adjusting the auto-calc battles. After trying to do auto-calc in 1.4.0.229571, I no longer do auto-calc. Even if I auto-calc a battle against 10 looters, I will somehow have some of my soldiers get killed. And not just any soldiers. My best and highest tier soldiers will somehow die during an auto-calc battle against common bandits. So I stopped. How can a Sturgian Druzhinnik Champion or a Battanian Fian Champion die when they are part of a 100-soldier party and fighting against 10 looters? I would maybe understand if it was the lowest tier soldier, but what are my elite soldiers doing during auto-calc? Running ass-backwards through the looters, pants around ankles?

6.) Combat physics sometimes doesn't make sense. I saw another user make a comment about this. Some of the things in the game aren't realistic.
I'm not arguing against taking damage. If a recruit holds up a spear while I charge him down on my horse, then I should take some damage if it hits me in the right spot and gets past my armor. BUT if a recruit holds up a spear and this somehow stops my horse and causes him to rear up AND take damage (or I take damage) then what the hell? Especially when my horse is an insanely fast Aserai horse and covered in the banded plate saddle/horse armor, then how does the horse come to a dead stop after full gallop? Similarly, how come when I take aim with my bow, aim at the head or foot sticking out from behind an enemy's shield, they still get a shield block even after I can see the arrow flying through the aim and going above or below the shield? But when I do it, I get hit no problem and then my guy drops his shield guard and I get pin-cushioned?

7.) Typo - after releasing a lord from battle instead of taking them prisoner, the text notification in the text chat says "so-and-so has been relased after battle". This should probably read as "released"

8.) Typo - Barracks building in towns/castles reads "Logdings for the garrisoned troops." This is probably read as "Lodgings".

9.) Typo - Toll Collector building in towns/castles reads "Increase Tax invome from region." This should probably read as "income".

10.) This (known issue) of when I sell prisoners at the tavern of a town, even if I sell over 30 prisoners at the tavern en masse, the tiny little notification that pops up above the town reads as "Cheva1ier -30 prisoners". So selling 90 prisoners, it reads -30. Or selling 200 prisoners is shows as -30.

11.) The "Train Militia" Daily Default in castles/towns doesn't actually increase the militia count on the menu or in reality. Hovering over the castle while the days change show increments of what the menu shows.
-The "Housing" Daily Default doesn't affect prosperity either. So, I think it would be safe to assume that none of the Daily Defaults work and so
"Festivals and Games" and "Irrigation" don't do what they say either.

12.) I like the changes you made in 1.4.0.229571 for notifying me when someone is besieging a town/castle of mine, and then placing a white catapult symbol above that location to show that the enemy is attacking, but there isn't a notification to tell me that they have taken the castle/town. Similarly from problem #1 I think it would be safe to assume that when the enemy shows up with an army of 1000+ men and start the siege, the tactics advantage lets them spawn in with 400-450 soldiers while the weak militia/garrison defenders only get to spawn in with 50-100 men, which kind of defeats the purpose if there is barely anyone up on the walls to repel ladders, fight at siege towers, or fight at the gate.

13.) Hideouts are stupid. Other users have mentioned it. Attacking at night with 8 random dudes from your party while the bandits get their whole hideout garrison is lame. You can get around it by wiping 10 of the bandits out and retreating, but then attacking again a day later, but why can't I have a non-sneaky option of just attacking the hideout in broad daylight with my whole army? Likewise, I have no idea which notables they are increasing the relationship with because when I visit nearby settlements or towns, none of my relations have increased. (yes I checked the numbers before I destroyed the hideout)

14.) Whenever I get knocked out in a battle, I like the messages that tells me what my AI formations are doing. However, they do some really stupid stuff. They keep changing position while the enemy is literally on top of them, so the enemy soldiers just hacking away at my guys while my guys keep moving from spot to spot.
-Similarly, I like that it says my horse archers are "skirmishing" but I noticed there isn't a skirmish command anywhere in the command menu for my ranged units, you have to manually control every aspect yourself if you want to "skirmish". I tried using the "Fall Back" command but the foot archers are too slow and don't stay ahead of the enemy unless the enemy gets distracted by shiny cavalry units.
-I have also seen the enemy formations go after specific formations of mine. I don't think I have seen commands like that in the command menu. Will you be adding some commands like "Attack enemy archer formation" somewhere in the command menu in the future?

15.) I know there are some die-hard players out there with tons of free time that want to make the game more difficult and take a while to attain certain levels. I also know there are working adults who would love to play this game and only have maybe an hour to play every night. Would you be able to add a default feature to the game that specifies a game mode such as slow or fast? (and not leave it up to any third-party modders) Other users have commented also that it would take astronomical amounts of time just to get some of the combat skills to the max perk level. Similarly, the leveling system seems a bit biased towards soaking up time also. I have gotten a character to level 20 but it takes 105 skill increases to get to level 21. Most of my skills are already 50+ and I have evenly distributed my focus points into whatever I was using. So if I switched to skills I am not currently using, not only would they not have focus points to help those level, but the focus points wouldn't give me enough of a skill-cap increase to go past a skill level of 50 or so. Anyways, my idea for a faster game for leveling would be to lower the initial skill-up requirements for the lower levels so that the skill-up requirements for 20+ don't take as much, but this might cause the lower levels to scream past and a player can level up to 10 within an hour. Another idea would be to make the increase in skill-ups per level to be less than 5 to 10. Right now I assume they are level 1 (15), level 2 (25), level 3 (35), level 4 (40), etc. you get the idea. The initial leveling I can't disagree with but maybe after the 50 skill increase requirement for a level they can only go up by 2, so (50), (52), (54) etc. or maybe they only go up by 5 every 2-4 levels, so level 5,6,7 they take (50) but then 8,9,10 they take (55).

16.) I noticed in 1.4.0.229571 that my caravans no longer benefit from the Clan tier increase to party size by +15. This is mostly fine with me because my caravans don't necessary need to be running around with 100+ party sizes at clan tier 5, but at the same time, they are stuck at 30. I noticed that I can hire "more experienced caravan guards" when I start the caravan at a notable in a town, but the caravan scurried off before I could check the troop composition to see if they were actually better. Even at a party size of 30, they'll still get jumped by just about anyone, veteran or not.

17.) Having fun. In your Warlords game, if I purchased a workshop in a town, and then that town was controlled by an enemy nation, my workshop would still be there but I wouldn't receive any income from it because the enemy nation would be, let's say, blockading it. This felt like a good compromise to me because it was semi-realistic and convenient so that I didn't have to go and buy the workshop again if I conquered the town or declared peace. In Bannerlords, if I purchase a workshop in a town and then that town is taken over by an enemy kingdom, whether I have my own kingdom or am just a mercenary, I lose ownership of the workshop completely and I will have to re-purchase it. That may be realistic, but super inconvenient and I am here to play video games and have fun. I don't want my escape from reality to be overly realistic. That kind of defeats the point. Asking for the combat physics to make sense is one thing because a lot of your older Mount & Blade games allowed me to turn my character into a one-man army and I am getting the crap kicked out of me in Bannerlords even with the best armor, weapons, horse, and horse armor I can find and the combat AI difficulty set to the lowest. (I take tons of damage from spearmen and mounted enemies with spears. I also take plenty of damage of ranged attacks, doesn't matter if it's javelins, crossbows, or arrows, where like I mentioned in problem #6, I still somehow get hit even with my shield up and every time this happens I lose a minimum of 7+ health, so 100 hp can disappear very quickly)

18.) Typo - the leadership perk at skill level 225 for 20% notable recruit replenishment is labelled as "Inspring Warrior". Should this read as "Inspiring Warrior"?

19.) The steward perk at skill level 175 called "Man-at-Arms" which increases party size by +5 for every fief that I own doesn't come into effect until I choose a perk at skill level 200 for steward. Then after the +5 for every fief comes into effect, it is permanent and I don't lose any of those party increases, like say when after I started my kingdom and conquered a town with 3 settlements and a castle with 2 settlements, and then Battania which has a military might of 14000 somehow randomly declares war on me and takes all my stuff, my party size hasn't decreased at all. Likewise, the perks for steward at skill level 200 have no effect. For example, the "Reeve" skill at 200 doesn't increase my companion capacity by 1.

20.) I'm sure there are a ton of perk issues. Some of them don't make sense. If the Kings/Queens/Lords of the Kingdoms are upgrading the castles and towns from day 1, what is the point of having the "Builder" perk for Engineering, which increases building development speed by 1.5 (150%) , be all the way down at skill level 250? Everything on the map will be fully upgraded by the time my Engineering even goes 100+ based on the experience gain rate. (See problem #15 for making the leveling and experience gain more reasonable also, unless you're a die-hard player who wants a pointless Engineering perk after 500-2000 hours of gameplay)

21.) In sieges, if I come up and attack an army that is currently attacking a castle/town (with the new white catapult symbol above), shouldn't I have some sort of straight-forward tactical advantage because they're being caught in the act? Like should I be able to appear on the siege tactical map behind them while they're mid-ladder raising and be able to flank them? Likewise the garrison/militia could then open the gates and sally out and we can hit them from both sides. Right now if I attack an army that is attacking during a siege, it just pulls them out to a normal battle map and we face army to army.

22.) When choosing the "you treated people well" during the young adulthood phase of character creation, one of the bonuses is a +1 to generosity, mercy, and honor. I have done this on a few playthroughs and noticed that my honor stat randomly disappears during some encounter, but I receive no notification and I honestly don't check my menus that often to see when it went away. Likewise, there appear to be no encounters in the game yet that increase or decrease my honor, generosity, mercy, valor, calculating, daring, cruelty, etc. I remember in the previous Mount & Blade games that releasing lords after battle, instead of taking them prisoner, increased your honor.

Bump, want to add that I've noticed workshops generally give 0 to 20 gold per day and caravans tend to cost money rather than turn a profit. It's unfeasible to maintain any form of army over ten units, and I'm relegated to bandit hunting even when under mercenary contract or trying to join a kingdom. I didn't have this problem in 1.3, so I'm wondering if this patch killed the economy.

Back
Top Bottom