Need More Info No sound, Game crash while opening option

Users who are viewing this thread

Summary: No sound, Game crash while opening option

How to Reproduce
:
After updating the game from 1.0.08 to 1.0.10 when launching the game there were no sound. So I clicked on the option to see what was wrong. Suddendly the game crashed. I investigated that when I launch the .native.exe game I can go to the option and under sound section at the Sound device label there are no item in the list of sound device. When I restard the game, still in native, the Sound device section display well the list of all my sound devices. When I choose my device: Realtek High Definition Audio the popin appear indicating that I have to restart the for the changes to be effective. There is still no sound. I restart the game. Still no sound, click option, game crash. And I can loop it endlessly.
I tryed other output but there are still no sound.

Quest/Settlement Name (if related): Not related happens in the main menu.

Media (Screenshots & Video):

Version: 1.0.10

Computer Specs
:
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8CPUs), ~4.0GHz
RAM: DDR4 16384MB RAM
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): HDD
Sound 1: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) RTKVHD64.sys, version 6.00.0001.8470 - default device
Sound 2: Realtek High Definition Audio 2nd output (Realtek High Definition Audio) RTKVHD64.sys, version 6.00.0001.8470
Sound 3: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio) RTKVHD64.sys, version 6.00.0001.8470
Sound 4: BenQ GW2470 (NVIDIA High Definition Audio) nvhda64v.sys, version 1.03.0038.0026

Additionnal sound software: Nahimic 2

Alright folks,
I have found a workaround.
First, as I described before, I'm using Realtek High Definition Audio as default and first sound device.
I opened the engine_config.txt to investigate the problem and set the sound device.
engine_config.txt file is located at [...]\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs\engine_config.txt
These are the parameters we focus:
disable_sound = 0
sound_device = 0

When I launch the game with Realtek High Definition Audio the game change these parameters to:
disable_sound = 1
sound_device = 3
(the lists in programming start at 0 not at 1 so the device selected here is the 4th)

I forgot to say in my first message that to display the list when launching the .native.exe I added a headset in an other output. But first I had only 3 sound devices. So that the sound_device = 3 point on no device. But when I added a headset the there were 4 devices so that the list displayed in the game option with the last Item of my sound device list: BenQ.

When I was changing sound device to other device than the first one there were no sound because of the disable_sound = 1.

The workaround is to use another output than my first output: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) RTKVHD64.sys, version 6.00.0001.8470
So now I use BenQ set as default in my system. I set manually the parameters to:
disable_sound = 0
sound_device = 0

engine_config.txt file is located at [...]\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs\engine_config.txt

This do not solve the problem that I can't use my real sound device wich is in surround.
For all who have sound problem I hope that it may help you.
Farewell.

Last edited:
Thank you for the workaround. I was having a similair problem. for no reason sound wasn't working. But i went into the engine_config file and my disable_sound was set to 1 and no matter what i did in the actual game menu nothing changed it. So i manually changed disable_sound from 1 to 0 and it worked as a speaker on my laptop. I wanted to use my headphones so i changed it to a 2 and it works beautiful. thank you for the workaround and thank you to taleworlds, I love this game and realize all the hard work they are putting in, and know this will be a temporary problem

Thank you for the workaround. I was having a similair problem. for no reason sound wasn't working. But i went into the engine_config file and my disable_sound was set to 1 and no matter what i did in the actual game menu nothing changed it. So i manually changed disable_sound from 1 to 0 and it worked as a speaker on my laptop. I wanted to use my headphones so i changed it to a 2 and it works beautiful. thank you for the workaround and thank you to taleworlds, I love this game and realize all the hard work they are putting in, and know this will be a temporary problem

I'm glad that it help other people with sound problems :smile:

Mabe I should have added the location of the file I edited and used:
Game in Native: [...]\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\Bannerlord.Native.exe
Engine Config file: [...]\Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Configs\engine_config.txt

Hi, all! I am glad to see there are workarounds that have solved the problem. Please let us know if the problem persists so that we can move the thread to the "solved" section or report it to the devs.

Hello Uçanbiblo, as I said this is a workaround that I do not use my default sound device which is in surround but my screen sound device in stereo. I tryed again today and the sound still doesn't work and the game crashes when I click on option.

I dont know if this ever got fixed so ill put in my experiance. I had a simmilar problem where with out any notible changes my sound just stopped working.

Step 1. Go too Documents\Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\Game Saves\Native then save all your saved games in a different location for recovery later.

Step 2. Go too Documents\ select the Mount and Blade II Bannerlord\ File and Delete it.

Step 3. Right click the game in steam and select Properties. then under the local files tab at the top of the new window that just opened click verify integrity of game files. This fixed it for me at this point.

Step 4. Return your saved files back were you found them if they dont automaticly show up again.

If that doesn't work try uninstalling the game and following steps 1 and 2 then reinstall it.

You could also check that in your sound options in Mount in blade the right sound device is selected.

Good luck!

I have this exact problem. The sound and options crash started at the same time. I have over 100 hours. very frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom