New user and suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

VarangianS

Recruit
Hello

I recently came across this little gem of a game and I am totally glued to it. This is what any first person rpg should be like, fun (ahem..... Morrowind). It reminds me another game I like, rune.

Anyway, here are a few observations on its gameplay and some things I would like to see.

As it is, sword and shield combination has always the advantage over the two-handed swords and axes, since they are far slower than single handed weapons and dont really do that much damage. I think that if the power strike bonuses were doubled for two handed weapons only, two handed weapons would be more fun and balanced.

It is annoying to get beaten by a bunch of pirates with clubs when you are wearing plate and they do 0 damage. The character could ignore damage if it is less than a small percentage of his total hit points.

I also didnt like how expensive everything is, from leather armor to simple spears and the tiny salaries you get. Getting simple weapons like spears, small shields, axes should be dirt cheap to quicken the gameplay and comparable, maybe less, to the money for the amount of food you need for one week in the game. Swords and leather armor should be more expensive, as well as the better bows and the crossbows, followed by metal armor, and in the top should be only the very best like plate and the best swords.
Maybe the difference in the prices should be very high ex 50g for a simple spear, 15000 for plate mail or something.

Polearms like the bardiche and poleaxe could be used to pull down or push riders from their horses. When hitting with the polearm a rider, you could have a chance to knock him off accirding to his riding and your polearms skill.

The shields can block anything when you pull them up, however they are dead weigh when you are walking. The shield should always block an the area corrsponding to its graphic. The shield could also have a large damage threshhold varying greatly with each type. This could soak its equal damage, any more and the player gets hurt for the difference. This wouldnt affect the shield durability and would prevent shield bearers resisting couched lances, powerful bows and axe blows unharmed.

That is all for now, lets hear some ideas we would like to see!

"It is annoying to get beaten by a bunch of pirates with clubs when you are wearing plate and they do 0 damage. The character could ignore damage if it is less than a small percentage of his total hit points. "

Put damage on normal and battle size high and then see how well your plate holds up against the pirates' "0 damage". Jesus, its not like you can't make the game isn't easy enough.

As it is, sword and shield combination has always the advantage over the two-handed swords and axes, since they are far slower than single handed weapons and dont really do that much damage. I think that if the power strike bonuses were doubled for two handed weapons only, two handed weapons would be more fun and balanced.

doubled? thats insane. i already kill people in one/two hits with 2 handed/1 handed weapons all the same. damage on one handed weapons should be nerfed though.

It is annoying to get beaten by a bunch of pirates with clubs when you are wearing plate and they do 0 damage. The character could ignore damage if it is less than a small percentage of his total hit points.

somthing like this is already planned

Polearms like the bardiche and poleaxe could be used to pull down or push riders from their horses. When hitting with the polearm a rider, you could have a chance to knock him off accirding to his riding and your polearms skill.

a dismount ability for footmen with polearms has been suggested numerous times. its a good idea.

The shields can block anything when you pull them up, however they are dead weigh when you are walking. The shield should always block an the area corrsponding to its graphic. The shield could also have a large damage threshhold varying greatly with each type. This could soak its equal damage, any more and the player gets hurt for the difference. This wouldnt affect the shield durability and would prevent shield bearers resisting couched lances, powerful bows and axe blows unharmed.

good in theory, but not really realistic. if a blow is powerful enough to penetrate your sheild, your sheild would be instant garbage. maybe high powered projectiles like crossbow bolts could have a chance to blow through weaker sheilds and do damage.

corksacker69 said:
doubled? thats insane. i already kill people in one/two hits with 2 handed/1 handed weapons all the same. damage on one handed weapons should be nerfed though.

good in theory, but not really realistic. if a blow is powerful enough to penetrate your sheild, your sheild would be instant garbage. maybe high powered projectiles like crossbow bolts could have a chance to blow through weaker sheilds and do damage.

Soldiers with halberds could chop the head off a horse and two handed axes could cut through even the thickest helmets if the user was strong. Not so with single-handed weapons. So it would be more realistic to double the power strike damage for two handed weapons and it would balance their low speed and lack of protection, you will need to invest many points in strength and the skill and the bonus is not that large anyway, only 10% extra for a guy starting with power strike 2. It would only reward those who invest alot in strength.

As for the shields, the blow doesnt have to penetrate to do damage, if it is heavy enough and the shield is thin, it can easily break your arm and even a damaged shield is useful. This would fix shields stopping all arrows and crossbow bolts, as well as couched lances and other heavy weapons.

It would also be more realistic for just about every hit to kill or disable you. It doesn't matter if it's a one-handed or two-handed sword... if you get hit in the face, you're out of the fight.

Sometimes realism needs to give way to gameplay and balance.

This is not about realism, it is about gameplay. How many times have you charged on your warhorse against a pathetic river pirate only to find them blocking absentminded your weapon with a tiny shield? As it is, all shields have equal protective value and they all block everything from the front, irrespective of size. Have you tried creating a huge muscle guy will almost all points on strength and power strike, only to find that all two handed weapons are slow, ackward, leave you exposed and dont do that much damage anyway? I have and it was dissapointing. Also bear in mind that this would be added to enemies with two handed weapons too, making them much deadlier when you ecounter them.

Back
Top Bottom