New competitive maps please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Slytacular

Sergeant Knight
On behalf of my fellow map-makers I would like to suggest an idea to the Clan leaders in Mount & Blade Warband that have at least participated in a few scrims.

I've noticed in a couple of the scrims I've had with different clans, nobody likes to play with Custom maps in fear of unbalance, inequality, secret hide-out spots, and more. But if you noticed, some.. If not all maps created by Taleworlds are a little off-balanced. Not to mention that they may have some glitchy spots, not enough detail in some places, and not enough maps like Nord Town, Port Assault, and Village. The Random Plains maps we scrim on have very ridiculous terrain. Like some maps have a lot of tall, small hills that is a pain for some players to move around in. Sometimes a team will spawn on top of a very large hill, while the other starts on the bottom. I would also like to give the map-makers in the community a chance to present scrim-able custom maps that other clans would normally turn away their noses too, just because they never played on that map.

"So what is your big idea, Sly?"

I would like the map-makers in this community to create a few very balanced maps to present to the clan leaders on a scheduled date. The clan leaders will then run through the collection of maps to vote if the map is approved or not approved for scrims.

The clan leaders will create a set of rules that the map-makers MUST abide too, if their maps are to be submitted.

Example-

1. No glitched spots

2. No traps

3. Spawns must at least be 25 seconds away from each other Updated

4. Map must be usable for all classes

5. Map is limited to 400kb maximum Updated

And so on forth..

If map-makers need to test their maps before presenting to the clan leaders of M&B:W, you can visit the site www.cegmb.englishboard.net to speak with Deaf Blind Dave, or a fellow mapper like me to host a server and test your map out along with a couple of other people to help find glitches (GK members most of the time).

Please, discuss.. I'll be happy enough to answer questions. If you are a clan member who is reading this, please direct your clan leader to this thread.

I've messaged some of the clan leaders in hopes that they will respond to this thread. I was thinking about posting a message in the Nordous Guild area, but I'm afraid it will count as spam.

Clans in support-
(GK) Golden Kingdoms
(Balion) Balion Mercenaries
(Wk) West Knights
(BkS) Black Shields
(KoA) Kingdom of Avalon
(POM) The Pomeranian Knights

Testing will begin Sometime in October or when we get enough maps Updated

For those who want to submit their maps. Please send me a copy of your map's scene, script, string, and SCO file in a compressed file (zip file) to [email protected] for reviewing

Procedures-

The gathered Leaders and I on a server hosted by me will review through each map. (map-makers and members of clans are welcome to participate as well)

The first step for each map will be began with eye-balling for a minute or two.

The second step involves doing a quick search for glitches or objects out of place. (if glitches or sketchy objects are found the map may be automatically denied until problem is fixed)

The third step, which is optional, will be a play-test for a round or two depending on how much time we have.

The fourth step is the final decision on whether we keep the map or not. We discuss what we like about it, and what we don't like about it. If a clan leader says no, no matter how trollish or critically constructed it is, it will be acknowledged and the map will be denied.

And the cycle repeats itself. We can not guarantee that every map will pass as scrim-able. It could be likely that every map will be denied.

Remember, we are only going over BATTLE maps.

It's a great idea, warband needs some new maps urgently. But I don't understand why it is limited to 200 kb... Some maps like FBTR and Ruins are over 300. (Wanted to say 900)

Anyways, other than that, I don't see a problem with this, it's a great idea. CoR would support this.

Great! Thank you!

I just hope I don't get banned from advertising in several threads before I can get everybody together.

(Sorry Taleworlds people! I will make sure to PM instead!)

Whoops.. Thread moved.

Just need a competitive community present and I'm sure we'll have no problem contributing effort and feedback.

So long as major servers are willing to host these new maps. I wouldn't want a team being at a disadvantage because they've never played the map before while the other team has played it all day.

Good idea, though.

Excellent! If the mappers that wish to make maps for future scrims, I advise you to make a map that you think is very balanced. Like both sides of the teams have the same scenery and space. Then we can worry about spawn distance and that kind of stuff.

Hmm... Come on, the idea is good, there will inevitably be something like this at some point, might as well be now :p

I'd have a first basic (WIP!!!!) map layout here for example, heavily inspired by Nord Town; Rhodok Town. Will add lots more places and paths to outmaneuver the enemy, and perhaps another large area if the map is too small right now.

Edit: forgot the link: http://de.xfire.com/video/4aeddb/

Edit2: Map. Red lines are default paths the players can take. Orange is where you can't go. Green bits indicate stairs and ladders, yellow bits indicate gates and doors. Spawns are temporary, I will probably move them to be further away from one another with none having a noticable strategical advantage.
overviewd.png

Hmm.. Actually I've never done a map with AI grids so I have no idea how much space they take up. I've heard that even if you do make an AI grid, it doesn't prevent the AI from performing stupid stuff. (Have to do one in the future)

I'll have to rewrite the rules. Yeah, maybe 200kb is a little too strict.

Like the concept, not sure about the specifics.

I'm currently on a business trip but will revisit this when I return.

Cheers,
Ken

Back
Top Bottom