Need Help With Dialogs

Users who are viewing this thread

Ok the thing is, I have never added new dialogs before and when I tried it for the first time I failed. I keep getting errors. I think it is because I am putting it in the wrong place. When I add the dialog everything messes up:

My Code is:

[trp_salt_mine_guard,"start", [], "What? What do you want? Leave me be.", "salt_guard_talk",[]],
[trp_salt_mine_guard|plyr,"salt_guard_talk", [], "Nothing, never mind.", "close_window",[]],

The dialog is supposed to be activated while talking to a guard on my salt mine scene.

I need a quick response please....

Last edited:
I don't think it is anything to do with the dialogues that I want to add. I think my problem is that I am putting the new dialogues in the wrong place in the module_dialogs file. It just messes with everything else when compiling. Do you know where they're supposed to go because I place them at the end the first time and then the middle after 'Ramun the trade slaver' dialogue.

Last edited:
do you have any other dialog for this troop?
In general it doesn't matter where you put it, it may mess the dialog (like a different one would appear) if the order is wrong. That's why I asked you to show the errors

This is what I get at the beginning

Initializing...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "process_global_variables.py", line 6, in <module>
    from module_dialogs import *
  File "C:\Users\Charlie\Desktop\Source\module_dialogs.py", line 1695, in <module>
    [trp_salt_mine_guard,"start", [], "What? What do you want? Leave me be.", "salt_guard_talk",[]],
NameError: name 'trp_salt_mine_guard' is not defined
Exporting strings...

I forgot about this so I was wrong earlier. After this is just goes on with random errors which have never happened befor till I add this new dialog, example stuff like this:

WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_zoom_min
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_next
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_prev
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $fplayer_agent_no
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $cam_current_agent
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $fplayer_agent_no
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $cam_current_agent
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $cam_mode
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $cam_free
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_next
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_prev
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_forward
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_backward
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_left
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_right
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_zoom_plus
WARNING: Usage of unassigned global variable: $key_camera_zoom_min

trp_salt_mine_guard - did you add this guy into module_troops? or check spelling

you added him without trp correct? Anyways, you need to post your whole log, right now it shows the troop is not defined. If you added him, and still get the same error, check the spelling of the troop. Another thing, I don't remember in what order the files get compiled, sometimes you have to repeat the compilation, if say module_dialogs compiles before module_troops

It wont let me post whole log because there are many errors that show up. It hides rest of compile lines and I did put 'trp' in dialogs but not in the troop file.

Last edited:
Ok the compile went fine now with no errors but when I go to talk to the troop in the scene he does not say my new dialog. He just says 'surrender or die'

Last edited:
chazzerberg said:
Well the first time no, but then I did and it still gives errors at the bottom of compile

add a new troop or item
compile your entire modules (run the file build_module.bat)
use the troop/item on a dialog, script, etc
compile your entire modules again
play the game

Thats is the basic rule. Don't use a new troop/item until you compiled the entire thingy first. To solve your problem you will need to temporaly delete your new dialogs.

also, when adding anything to module_dialogs, remember that the dialogs on top have priority, since you're seeing that 'surrender or die', which is the default(and normally the only on the end of module_dialogs), you just need to move your dialogs above that

Back
Top Bottom