Napoleonic Wars Rifle tips

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdodds99

Recruit
I was just wondering if any experienced rifleman could give tips for how to use this guy well. As I am a poor shot and I dont know why -.-

Aim in 1st person

Place the central dot on the reticule on their chest to neck depending on the range before presenting the rifle.Once you are presenting remember to wait until the reticule steadies at its normal size then fire.

Bullet drop is minimal apart from at long range when it is pretty irelevant due to the inaccuracy of the gun. But if you do go for a very long range shot try aiming just above the top of their hat.

Dont rush your shots but at the same time remember that rate of fire will of course lead to more kills as long as you are careful to aim each shot properly.

Avoid cavalry as they will easily cut you down due to your lack of a bayonet. If you cant avoid them its best to shoot their horse then run. Trees and rocks are useful to help you fight cav.

Dont be a hero, riflemen arent supposed to enage the enemy in melee and if faced with charging line infantry you should take a shot then leg it to the nearest group of friendly troops. If you do decide to engage the enemy in melee then your best bet is to try and use side swings as many newer players are more used to blocking overhead and downward stabs rather than the swinging attacks that your rifle is capable of.

Finally you have the advantage over line infantry in terms of range and accuracy so dont negate that by getting too close to them.

Gragnok said:
Aim in 1st person

Place the central dot on the reticule on their chest to neck depending on the range before presenting the rifle.Once you are presenting remember to wait until the reticule steadies at its normal size then fire.

Bullet drop is minimal apart from at long range when it is pretty irelevant due to the inaccuracy of the gun. But if you do go for a very long range shot try aiming just above the top of their hat.

Dont rush your shots but at the same time remember that rate of fire will of course lead to more kills as long as you are careful to aim each shot properly.

Avoid cavalry as they will easily cut you down due to your lack of a bayonet. If you cant avoid them its best to shoot their horse then run. Trees and rocks are useful to help you fight cav.

Dont be a hero, riflemen arent supposed to enage the enemy in melee and if faced with charging line infantry you should take a shot then leg it to the nearest group of friendly troops. If you do decide to engage the enemy in melee then your best bet is to try and use side swings as many newer players are more used to blocking overhead and downward stabs rather than the swinging attacks that your rifle is capable of.

Finally you have the advantage over line infantry in terms of range and accuracy so dont negate that by getting too close to them.
Don't be a hero? You haven't watched Sharpe, good sar!

HarbingerOfDoom said:
Don't be a hero? You haven't watched Sharpe, good sar!

Yeah i have. Thought it was a bit crap for the most part. Sean Bean is good but in general the acting is cringe worthy and for me personally that makes it unwatchable unless drunk. The books on the other hand are top notch stuff.

Also i tend to see Sharpe as a bit of an anti hero. He does heroic things but has a rebellious side to him as well which is why he is such a great character.

Not sure if it's been explained elsewhere, but how come the 95th have no sword bayonets on their rifles? Really miss this, is it a balancing feature?

If a Rifleman is forced into melee, use a left swing as in you move in and out, but right as you go side to side, it confuses the average infantryman and left swings have longer range, right it faster.

Ajrt said:
Not sure if it's been explained elsewhere, but how come the 95th have no sword bayonets on their rifles? Really miss this, is it a balancing feature?

Not really, you don't need a bayo though. With 4 directions of attack and negligible damage difference, the weapon is just as competitive. Actually maybe even better in some regards, due to having less "pokes".

Vorlen said:
Ajrt said:

Not really, you don't need a bayo though. With 4 directions of attack and negligible damage difference, the weapon is just as competitive. Actually maybe even better in some regards, due to having less "pokes".

I will take a rifle in melee over a bayonet anyday due to how much in confuses enemy line infantry when you swing left and right not realizing you aren't armed with a musket.

Just practise your shooting...you will get better eventually.

Also going to meele with a rifle is quite funny when the enemy usually starts to block down :razz:

Megaberna said:
Just practise your shooting...you will get better eventually.

Also going to meele with a rifle is quite funny when the enemy usually starts to block down :razz:

Indeed, it is quite wonderful as you imagine the look on their races.

AIM AIM AIM AIM aim your shots.  Do not take pot shots, your rifle is slow to reload, but it's accurate. Look for enemies who sat or stood still reloading, or coming straight for you. Do not treat your Rifle like a Musket. Use cover as well and sneak behind your enemies. Ultimately you want to recreate what the real Napoleonic rifle men did.

Rifles have a delay on their shots, don't run, left click and expect to pop a sniper shot off, although the reticule doesn't change much while moving, it causes a delay to shots being fired, which will often throw off your accuracy as you're aiming for that one moment, not for when the shot finally does go off. So make sure you have the gun aimed and have waited a short amount of time before letting rip on the enemy (1 second is enough)

i am a decent shot with a musket maybe 1 out of 3 a hit, getting bored with line infantry so switched to rifleman. I am really having a hard time maybe 1 out of 7 or 8 shots hit, any other more technical tips about aiming?

I find if you give yourself a 2 second window from when you aim to where you fire, it improves your accuracy a little.

In melee, use the upper rifle attack to throw the adverage player off, they will block up thinking its the same as a musket upper stab, and they will face the pain.

For ranged practice just host a game and shove on bots on a large map and hopefully they won't one shot snipe you :wink: till you get a feel for how the rifle works and the time it takes, you also dont have to reload fully in one go you can go half way until you get to the ramrod then run and finish it later and before you cock the rifle you can move I believe as I have done these both :smile:, it also helps if you have any friends with you or stick with pubbies to help protect you as 1 rifleman on his on is a big target enemy soldiers will think twice if your in a group. Don't be afraid to back off in melee if the player is more experianced than you lead him/her into your friendlies and let them shoot them :smile: and also take time to learn how to block cav attacks using bots helps to know how to block hussars (left / right block) they rarely thrust :razz: and lancers (block down) unless its crouched which they are in a smoothed out animation and arent turning the lance while moving. Hope this helps :wink:.

Back
Top Bottom