NA?

Users who are viewing this thread

Honestly warband gets stale and boring, anyone who has played comp for a while can attest to that. NA has been a sinking ship for a while now and the last "wave" of newish people stepped out the door before anyone was there to replace them. There's flat out nothing to do now, but even if there was I imagine most people would feel the same as me; I may not have done quite literally everything (because that's impossible due to the nature of multiplayer games) BUT I've come close enough that I no longer feel the need to do anything.

altho im still playing that ****ty crpg mod so i guess im kinda liar

Lord Brutus said:
If you know anything of our private discussions then Lust must have told you, which means he is corrupt as well as negligent.  Sorry, but it had to be said.

If you're going to keep alluding to private discussions giving nothing of substance while ominously alluding to a conspiracy to...not give child boards, then I'll keep calling it nonsense. Further, indicating that Lust would actively enjoy seeing NA decline when it was part of his job description to nurture that is almost libelous considering that was (and is?) his career, if it wasn't so funny it would be kinda messed up!

Lagstro said:
The majority of NA players back then loved playing on 1500g and fastest, mainly because it was the settings a lot of them learned how to play the game with, regardless of whether there could have been a better way to play.

But I am amused that that's the only thing you wanted to address. I'm still waiting for your explanation or history lesson on how NA was late to the competitive party. I'm genuinely curious whether I am missing part of this game's competitive history.

I agree the people that played enjoyed those settings, but that doesn't mean it wasn't a barrier to entry for others and holding onto them for so long despite the obvious trend caused a further rift.

And maybe it would be better to say that while both NA and EU had early competitive scenes, EU solidified theirs earlier in the form of constant successful tournaments, first by Lust then by Deacon etc, whereas NA dipped after Bks left and didn't really bounce back until UNAC, by which point it struggled to recover.

I'd be interested to see the actual numbers of NA vs EU players around that time in multiplayer generally, to see if it really was a smaller pool for NA at first. I don't know if that's available.

I guess we are just going to have to hope that everything is handled better when Bannerlord finally comes out. I haven't followed all of the development specifics but if they are actually adding matchmaking into the game, it's a really good sign!

Lord Brutus said:
If you know anything about our private discussions then Lust must have told you, which means he is corrupt as well as negligent.  Sorry, but it had to be said.

This seems a bit extreme. Like Glorious said, I don't really think it would make sense for Lust to delibrately sabotage his own career. However, since the opinions of him are both positive, and negative, it suggests that Lust's effect was both positive and negative. I believe Lord Brutus is right in this case, but just not to the extremes he is suggesting.

But regardless, if we can remember that IF BANNERLORD HAD JUST COME OUT ON TIME  :evil: the community would have never completely died, and everything would have smoothly transitioned from Warband to Bannerlord without the huge gap that we are currently experiencing. A game's community can't last forever, and that's how long it feels like it has been since Bannerlord was first suggested to be released.

Fietta said:
The community manager's don't work to 'help' along-side a game with very little player base and no future...The community manager's role isn't to try and revive an already dying game with the community being stale for the past 4 years...Their input in a community run game is far more than what's needed...Help from a CM is an added extra.

Have to categorically disagree with you.  Warband only has a small competitive player base and no future because it has been so thoroughly ignored by Taleworlds as a company.  Lack of patches, balancing, tournament attention, support.  If your view is that community management is just an "extra," I'd challenge you to state that League of Legends, Rocket League or DOTA would have been even remotely as successful without constant attention from their parent companies and associated development teams.  I'm not talking about Lust, because I don't know the intricacies that went into his position.  He did a great job managing and involving himself in the community prior to becoming the CM.  Then as CM, his involvement and visibility dropped off pretty dramatically.  Since Lust wasn't immediately fired and that was the status quo for years, you have to assume that Taleworlds was pleased with (and possibly instructing him to provide) that level of interaction with their community.....Regardless of the whole "NA vs EU" ****, while we can argue about which scene was more ignored over which time period, the truth is that none of us got the attention and involvement we deserved and needed to help the competitive scene flourish.  That is 100% Taleworlds' responsibility and 100% their failure.

My assumption is that Taleworlds wasn't ready for all of us -- the multiplayer competitive base that sort of refuses to die.  They **** the bed with how they handled us and supported us in Warband, no question.  My only hope is that they can look at the lessons learned and manage to do a better job with Bannerlord.  But, I'm not really that hopeful.

it is my eternal hope that bannerlord does not succeed

aqpfOT6.jpg

Rake said:
I'd say it probably was, gaming wasn't and probably still isn't as big as it is in Europe. Like most PC gamers are still socially retarded nerds in the states.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection

*GREASE WARNING*

NA's end-clock started when the already limited number of skilled (skilled compared to fellow NA teams) clans trickled out of serious competitive play. Some may say the shrinking of these skilled teams began inbetween Post-BiT and immediately after UNAC 1, but many players who are currently semi-involved in the scene label the end of UNAC 4 as the start of NA's battle with terminal lung cancer. Following UNAC 4 and excluding WPL1, NA finally lost commited involvement of wK, TMW, Balion, HB, and KoA committed competitive teams; aka, the only teams holding up the community for a few years.  Essentially, from January 2015 through late 2016, no semi-competent clans outside of super teams (Kingdom of Blacktide to name one) existed in the entire NA scene. Only two to four clans consistently scrimmed, and every other team or clan was dead outside of organized tournaments. Now that those clans have moved on, NA players are left in even more disarray. Combine all this with the obvious fact that community members moved on to pursue interests outside of Mount and Blade Warband: Native. And of course our community was already small to begin with, so...

NA wizards residing within the betrothed snow-covered halls of North Ichamur have much pondered and debated on this topic

/tip

VornOfSwag said:
...label the end of UNAC 4 as the start of NA's battle with terminal lung cancer. Following UNAC 4 and excluding WPL1, NA finally lost commited involvement of wK, TMW, Balion, HB, and KoA committed competitive teams; aka, the only teams holding up the community for a few years.

Pretty spot on, imo.  We (wK) stopped competing in Warband after winning UNAC S4, and even though a few of us merc'd for some of the compilation teams (Kingdom of Blacktide, SJW), like 90% of our team didn't touch Warband from UNAC S4 until WPL1.  We had to try to grind back into shape for WPL1 and WPL2, and it was really difficult to find practice scrims, since the activity (both pub and clan) had dropped so dramatically.

Back
Top Bottom