My way of playing as Teutonic Order vassal

Users who are viewing this thread

KnightPeter

Sergeant
i want some critic from you.

First of all i am keeping my army at full capcity and mainly having sergent (10-20) - sariantbruder (10-15), cavalary hallbruder (5-10) and ritterburder (4-5), and mix of other troops with lover versions. I dont have any archers they seem useless to me. Also spears are okey but something wrong with AI when i said keep close they insist to leave other units and keep attacking and dies. in combat i dont have any problem with this setup.

Ok this army weekly wage is about 5000 dinar. its expensive for starters and i am starter what i  did to survive? Easy i am hunting enemy lords with this way i am gaining honor reown keeping my kingdom safe. lots of prisoner lots of gold. if i cant see much enmy around i am attacking hostile kingdoms villiges. With this way i have 5 invest at other towns beside i manage to built salt trader at my manor. now my weekly income is about 5000 dinar.

with fighting making money and having strong army this is my way of playing since i find trade boring not fit Teutonic Order lord :smile:

i did this in 3 week game play. 2 8-10 hour RL.

I am stick with this playing style and i would like to learn if anyother fun style you find out, thanks.

That's a nice start. I did it almost the same way while I was a lord of TO, constant fighting was my life. However, if you would like to take a little bit of trading into consideration you could make much more money. Simply buy some linen in Elbing or Thorn or any other OT towns where it's cheap, then go to Gdansk or Poznan, sell your linen there and buy salt. Then return to Ordo Teutonicus and sell your salt in any of its cities. This will give you a very nice additional income and you don't even have to travel around that much.

Astacius said:
I dont have any archers they seem useless to me.

Theyre completely useless in this mod.

You should go and try the Cymry archers, you'll change your mind. They're recruitable in the taverns of England. If you are able to protect them from cavalry you will see how useful archers may be.

For me i am not playing advanced but what i do is at start keeping man close to each other after that spear man at front against cavalary charge. after my enmy engaged spearmans  with cavalary fallowing me i try to flank (or rear)  them then i order charge to everyone.

why i find archers useless biggest reason is they dont stand close to rest of my army (some problem also for spear man). They die fast kill less. if m&b has some more controls (easier) i could use them more effective. maybe there is i just dont know. i am still using vanillia style controls.

KnightPeter said:
For me i am not playing advanced but what i do is at start keeping man close to each other after that spear man at front against cavalary charge. after my enmy engaged spearmans  with cavalary fallowing me i try to flank (or rear)  them then i order charge to everyone.

why i find archers useless biggest reason is they dont stand close to rest of my army (some problem also for spear man). They die fast kill less. if m&b has some more controls (easier) i could use them more effective. maybe there is i just dont know. i am still using vanillia style controls.

I select my infantry (I don't bother about spearmen or swordsmen, I combine them all in infantry, group one), let them advance four times (10 paces each time) by pressing 4 times F2;F1. This catches the cav charge if I can't meet the enemy cav with my own in time. If ever possible, I position my archers on higher ground than my infantry, to give them a clear shot over my own shieldwall. If not possible, I let them go backwards (F2;F2) two times, so they can shoot better. If I have to do that, I hold my cav close, and intercept enemy cav when they go for my archers. If not, I lead my cav to the flank, wait for the enemy cav to impact on my infantry, and then charge my cav into them. With a little luck, you dispose most of the enemy cav before the enemy infantry can come in fighting range. I lead my own cav out before it gets all too messy with enemy infantry, break clear, and shift my archers to the side and forward, so they can shoot from an almost right angle at enemy infantry in close comabt with my own, or dismount the leftovers of the enemy cavalry. Leading the cav first to the enemies ranged units, and after finishing that business, let them charge the back of the enemy infantry, at least what is left of them and doesn't look like hedgehogs. Rinse and repeat in big battles, hold formations and don't charge silly after retreating enemies who unite again with their reinforcements. don't forget to tell your archers to hold fire if there aren't plenty of worthwile targets for them around.

If you order your archers to charge they will scatter all over the battlefield like the other troops and do no harm to anybody but themselves. They are best and most effective in a group, almost like it was in real life. Try to just order your infantry, spearmen and cavalry to charge and position your archers to the right flank of your enemy (no shield cover on this side) and let your archers shoot at them from a distance of ~ 50 metres or less.

Here's an arrangement I mostly use for fighting typical Central European armies:
spearmen along with infantry packed together 3 or 4 times (f2-f4) because if cav gets dehorsed by spearmen my infantry will give 'em the rest. About 20 metres behind this group there are my archers (stand closer, once f2-f4) and right behind my archers are my mounted companions who all have some kind of ranged weapons - both are ordered to hold their fire. So, if some cav breaks through my first line of defense (or tries to flank) and tries to kill my archers, they're surely done because my companions will tear them to pieces with supporting fire from my archers. Cav is placed to the right flank of my army, somewhere behind a hill if possible and relatively far away, more than 50 metres, to avoid them or their horses being shot. With this formation I await the enemy. As soon as I can see the enemy nearing, I myself will ride against them, try to kill one in order to initiate a charge, and then flee from them in a wide and long turn (praying, hoping, swearing and begging, all at the same time, while on my way back to my troops), so that the enemy is presenting its right side (again, no shield cover) or its backs to my archers and companions. If the enemy is ~70-80 metres away from my troops I order everybody to fire. I myself then try to get behind my foot troops and stand there in the centre so that the enemy charges straight on into my spearmen/infantry. This means the end of at least half of the enemy's cavalry even before they reach my army's first line of defense. Finish off the first wave by letting your infantry, companions and cav charge in.

If the first enemy wave is done don't just let your troops and especially your cav further charge in, they will die en masse. Instead, draw them back, regroup and order your infantry and spearmen to charge in for the 2nd wave. Wait until they have almost reached the enemy. Right before they arrive at the front line order your cav and companions (if mounted) to charge. Occasionally I lead the mounted troops so that we hit right into the enemy's back. With this, your enemy is more than busy fighting against your infantry/spearmen but has not enough time to kill any substantial amount of your infantry and won't even notice the nearing massive wall of death, your cav + companions, coming down on them like a thunderstorm. Now, call your cav back (f1-f2 -> follow me) after the first charge has succeeded and let your infantry, spearmen and companions, supported by archery fire, finish the enemy (almost) off. You may have to order your archers to advance 10 paces, maybe a few times, or put them in a flanking position in order to be in a perfect firing position and always keep an eye on them because enemy cav loves to kill archers. Do not try to kill every enemy by letting your troops go after them but order the rest of your troops to follow you immediately after the enemy begins to draw back to unite with their reinforcements. Then let your cav + companions charge in again, to finish off the remains of the enemy's 2nd wave but don't let them get too close, or close at all, to the enemy's reinforcements. Afterwards, let all your troops follow you again and position your troops anew in your preferred defense formation and await the third wave, etc. This all has to happen very quickly, so you should know your commands very good - there is no time for looking around the keyboard.

And always keep close to the point where your reinforcements are most probably going to spawn, i.e. your side of the map, and try not to fight on the enemy's side of the map. My job as the leader is primarily to give orders and kill of some straying enemies so that my troops are not prevented from concentrating on the main body of enemies. But never make the mistake to follow them too far into neverland because it then is likely that you will lose the overview over the battle.

This all I only do if I have to fight armies that are 3-5 times bigger than mine. If the opponent is about as strong as me or up to being twice as strong I just order everybody to follow me and let them charge on the last 50-100 metres, the classical avant garde - me leading the charge along with my companions.

Caeled said:
Astacius said:
I dont have any archers they seem useless to me.

Theyre completely useless in this mod.

let me guess...F1+F3 is all of the command options you need? ^^

Im using much more.

You should go and try the Cymry archers, you'll change your mind. They're recruitable in the taverns of England. If you are able to protect them from cavalry you will see how useful archers may be.

Thanks cpt. obv.

Back
Top Bottom