Need More Info My game is not oppening on steam

Users who are viewing this thread

When i click on the game it shows the page "performing first time setup" but it's not loading the bar and after a while game is just closing itself without opening

Same here.
In detail:
Click play
Firewall posts "Do you want to allow this app to make changes..." = Yes.
Opens box: Performing first time set-up. Step 1 of 1.
Box disappears:
Play button shows CANCEL.
Play button shows STOP.
PLAY button becomes active again.

I have read several posts to try to resolve:
Re-installed in native steam directory (C:\Program files x86\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord) - I usually install games to a different drive. NO EFFECT
Set all .exe files to run as administrator. NO EFFECT
Followed directions in this post: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/game-failing-crashing-at-launch.397007/
: I am unable to install .NET v4.8.2 - My PC has .NET v4.7.0, and that is as high as it will go. Windows 10 has failed to install updates for some time - and after looking into this, I believe it would need a complete re-install to fix the issue - that is beyond me atm. I mention this because the crash reporting software packaged with the game requires .NET 4.7.2 or above (...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\CrashUploader.Publish\CrashUploader.Publish.exe). I don't know if there is a connection, but the software won't run with my version of .NET. Note that I have no trouble with any other game on this PC, so my out of date Windows install isn't usually an issue. I'm probably not up for trying that big of a fix unless it starts impacting on all my games.
: My virus checker and firewall is set to allow Steam games. Created exceptions for Bannerlord specifically, and then tried turning both off. NO EFFECT.
: Deleted the language file referenced in the above link: NO EFFECT.
: Verified and reinstalled several times (including deleting all game references in other directories), with and without changes outlined above. NO EFFECT.

If I try to launch using the .exe files directly (...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\...):
Bannerlord.exe: Nothing happens.
Bannerlord_BE.exe: "The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFE669B9E08" - I believe this file has something to do with anti-cheat in multiplayer?
TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe: Nothing happens.
Bannerlord.Native.exe: White screen with a cursor for a while, the some kind of picture screen (as if the game were loading), then it just drops back to windows with the PLAY button active again.

That's all I know.
A lot of threads seem to be raising variations of this, but it's all a bit vague to-date.
I would like to play this game - it looks great on the YouTube play-through, and I enjoyed Warband.

Last edited:
Same here.
In detail:
Click play
Box disappears:
Play button shows STOP.

Re-installed in native steam directory (C:\Program files x86\steamapps\common\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord) - I usually install games to a different drive. NO EFFECT
Followed directions in this post: https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/game-failing-crashing-at-launch.397007/
: I am unable to install .NET v4.8.2 - My PC has .NET v4.7.0, and that is as high as it will go. Windows 10 has failed to install updates for some time - and after looking into this, I believe it would need a complete re-install to fix the issue - that is beyond me atm. I mention this because the crash reporting software packaged with the game requires .NET 4.7.2 or above (...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\CrashUploader.Publish\CrashUploader.Publish.exe). I don't know if there is a connection, but the software won't run with my version of .NET. Note that I have no trouble with any other game on this PC, so my out of date Windows install isn't usually an issue. I'm probably not up for trying that big of a fix unless it starts impacting on all my games.
: My virus checker and firewall is set to allow Steam games. Created exceptions for Bannerlord specifically, and then tried turning both off. NO EFFECT.
: Verified and reinstalled several times (including deleting all game references in other directories), with and without changes outlined above. NO EFFECT.

If I try to launch using the .exe files directly (...\Mount & Blade II Bannerlord\bin\Win64_Shipping_Client\...):
Bannerlord_BE.exe: "The exception unknown software exception (0xe0434352) occurred in the application at location 0x00007FFE669B9E08" - I believe this file has something to do with anti-cheat in multiplayer?
Bannerlord.Native.exe: White screen with a cursor for a while, the some kind of picture screen (as if the game were loading), then it just drops back to windows with the PLAY button active again.

That's all I know.
A lot of threads seem to be raising variations of this, but it's all a bit vague to-date.
I would like to play this game - it looks great on the YouTube play-through, and I enjoyed Warband.
Same here.
In detail:
Click play
Box disappears:
Play button shows STOP.

That's all I know.
Thanks, i tried these options too and as just like you said nothing changed so if you find anything that could change this situation can you also please write to me

Patch e1.0.2: NO EFFECT.
@ Sasmehmet - I'll post the recipe if I ever get this working... But I'm guessing we're waiting on something from the developers.

I am getting the exact same issue and it still hasn't be acknowledged. So many people are getting it. Games that came out this year start with no worries, but this game somehow won't because of the error you speak of.

They did make a general comment in their release report: "We know many of you are experiencing issues that are preventing you from enjoying the game right now, for which we are very sorry."
They are clearly working on things, and as I, personally, have no idea how hard it is to identify and fix issues, I am not in any position to comment on their prioritisation - some things must be harder to fix than others.
I will certainly feel better if they post a note somewhere to the effect of 'we know some of you can't even start the game... We're working on it'.
In the meantime, as it's in the first week of early access, I'll keep uploading the patches, reading the forums and posting any results (or lack of them) that I get.

I suspect that posting detailed reports is the most useful thing that players can do to help things along (that is what early access is for, after all).
As I can't use the crash report tool, and am not any kind of IT professional, it would be useful if they posted a list of the information they want, and how to get it.

I did stumble on a report in some obscure part of windows saying that:

TaleWorlds.MountAndBlade.Launcher.exe had caused multiple critical errors yesterday - the time stamps matched my attempts to start the game.

Unfortunately it was a tool that I don't use, and I can't remember where I stumbled on it.

it’s not that we aren’t aware they are clearly working on a lot of issues but this specific issue is so under radar that if we stop posting about it? It might not ever get fixed. So all we can do is make sure that it doesn’t get buried into nothingness

I’ve tried editing in the regedit cmd to make it work. So many hours, I’ve spent 12 hours now of my free time to find fixes and work around and there are none that not ITs can fix

I agree on the need to keep posting... It took hours yesterday to find clear posts about the game not starting at all - it's pretty clear now that people have this problem.

I'd be surprised if it never got fixed - there's a limit to the number of people who would buy a game that might not even start.
I don't know why companies are slow to acknowledge specific issues like this - it's frustrating. To hazard a guess, they need some clarity about how the problem works before publicly acknowledging it - but who knows? I will be happier once it gets listed in their 'Known Issues' thread - it isn't at the moment.

I don't know what regedit cmd is? Well, OK, I just looked it up - better say I wouldn't know what to do with it without a guide to follow. That's another reason I agree we should keep posting - if there is a user fix, hopefully someone who knows how to do it will post a clear guide for the rest of us. 12 hours sucks - I've done that once or twice to get complex mods up and running, but never for an off the shelf game - I haven't found anything yet that makes me think anyone knows what's actually causing the problem.

Too true.

all of these hours were in between my work shifts, I shouldn’t have to mess around this much just to get the game to launch let alone past the start button.

welp just gonna keep posting till they do fix it

I have the same issue. I tried many things to solve it yet any changes. I think problem is about .net framework, I am using win8 and didnt update since 2014 or something. win8 cant support 4.7.x versions or above. gotta update my OS or sit down and wait for the developers fix that issue.

I've thought about the .NET thing and re-installing windows - aside from the work involved, couple of reasons why I haven't tried it yet:

:If it's such a big deal, why am I able to play other 2020 releases straight 'out of the box'?
:Some people have posted that they re-installed their operating systems without success. That's a lot of work and a fair bit of risk for a 'maybe'.
As far as I can tell, from a very limited knowledge base, the .NET requirement is for the crash reporting tool - If that is correct (?), I would have thought they could make a workaround without however many people needing to re-install their operating systems.
Plenty of people have the issue and say they have fully updated the .NET framework (along with all the other suggestions out there).

Mind you, it seems to work for some people, so if you can do it easily it might be worth trying - IIRC, when I first installed Windows 10 it just did it's thing without needing any real help from me.

Some of the threads about this are starting to get replies to the effect that 'we are working on it', so there may be hope.

Last edited:
As previously said, it would be a relief if at least they add this problem to the oingoing technichal problems, because as it is right now, it looks like that message from Callum sorts out the problem, yet it doesn't, as we can see in the forums.

Agreed.
I'm not 100%, but reading the various threads, it looks as if there is more than one problem with launching the game - I only get the white screen (etc.) issues by directly clicking on .exe files, and it never asks me about sending any crash reports.

it’s not that we aren’t aware they are clearly working on a lot of issues but this specific issue is so under radar that if we stop posting about it? It might not ever get fixed. So all we can do is make sure that it doesn’t get buried into nothingness
I agree on the need to keep posting... It took hours yesterday to find clear posts about the game not starting at all - it's pretty clear now that people have this problem.

I'd be surprised if it never got fixed - there's a limit to the number of people who would buy a game that might not even start.
I don't know why companies are slow to acknowledge specific issues like this - it's frustrating. To hazard a guess, they need some clarity about how the problem works before publicly acknowledging it - but who knows? I will be happier once it gets listed in their 'Known Issues' thread - it isn't at the moment.

I don't know what regedit cmd is? Well, OK, I just looked it up - better say I wouldn't know what to do with it without a guide to follow. That's another reason I agree we should keep posting - if there is a user fix, hopefully someone who knows how to do it will post a clear guide for the rest of us. 12 hours sucks - I've done that once or twice to get complex mods up and running, but never for an off the shelf game - I haven't found anything yet that makes me think anyone knows what's actually causing the problem.
Too true.

all of these hours were in between my work shifts, I shouldn’t have to mess around this much just to get the game to launch let alone past the start button.

welp just gonna keep posting till they do fix it
As previously said, it would be a relief if at least they add this problem to the oingoing technichal problems, because as it is right now, it looks like that message from Callum sorts out the problem, yet it doesn't, as we can see in the forums.
Hi all,

Please be assured that none of the threads go unnoticed or ignored. We and the developers are all aware of the crash related issues and this includes all types (launcher, white screen, mid-game, CTDs, quest related, all of them). If you look here, you will see that some of the crash related issues are already fixed. We constantly monitor the crash issues on here and constantly direct them to the developers, and these issues are not ignored. If your questions are not being answered, it isn't because we ignore them, it is because the huge workloads each of us have our share of due to the early access release. The "Known Issues" and "Fixed Issues & Crashes" topics will be constantly updated for you guys, and in the meantime, we all do our best to answer all of the threads.

Please try the recommended steps on the threads below and update me if you're still having the same problem.

Back
Top Bottom