My experience with the Smithing system.

Users who are viewing this thread

I was assuming that the difficulty of the weapon dictated the experience... Yet another system where people have to meta game it for it to work..

--snip--
It was this before 1.1.0 I think. After that it's like Skjuld mentioned, defined by damage and also weapon speed. It's capped at around 60k to sell. This cap raises as your trading skill progresses.
I raised my smithing skill easily from ~170 that I had before that patch to 320+ by mass crafting a type of tier 4 polearm that did 152 damage at 81 speed.
Only needing 2 steel and 1 hardwood for around 19k base exp.

I thought so too. Until I crafted a cutting polearm for myself, gained a ton of xp and discovered it was worth 58000 GPs. And that a higher tier thrusting polearm was worth almost no xp and only 1861 gp, despite being harder and made of higher tier metal.

I am not very happy with current smithing implementation, its just not fun and grindy. Not to mention I have to build a shrine to RNJesus and sacrifice an infant each time I try to make a half decent weapon.

The only benefit I see for smithing is power levelling your companions in early levels. Once the high experience gain and sell price is fixed, nobody sane would touch this absurd crafting system.

- Prices are utterly ****ed up. You already must have guessed from what I've reported above, right ? I don't know what formula was used, but it's bad. Plus, I suspect, seeing how I ended up with different weapons I tried with the exact same price (58999 now ,with Beta 1.20) , that this goes actually beyond that and I've hit a price cap.

Look at top right.

Smithing should be totally rethought.

I'd actually prefer if they integrated smithing as a component of different cities that enabled upgrades to your troops and rarely provided new gear for you and your companions. A king isn't supposed to be working bellows, he's supposed to enable a team of smiths that work bellows for his army.

Besides that, I don't need to do another crafting system in yet another RPG. I got bored after the first 50 crafting systems and just don't care anymore. Hell, I haven't been interested in an RPG crafting system since A Tale in the Desert (2003).

kay, made further testing with the Smithing in a cheating play through. It definitely sucks, it's just pure garbage, you'll virtually never be able to craft the weapon you want, you'll always be stuck with whatever the **** the disgusting RNG dictates you'll unlock. Even to max out smithing is a nightmare, apparently any skill beyond 200 is virtually impossible to level up adequately. I'd wager that you'll need to grind over 10 million kills with a single weapon type to even reach 250, 300+ is just out of reach, unless you put 5 focus and all attributes into the same ****ing tree. On smithing, you'll need to craft a gazillion 63k valued weapons, and that if you are lucky to get the necessary unlocks to make such expensive weapons, even then, after 225, it's 1 skill point per crafting, which takes ages, and I mean, ages, when you're done unlocking everything there'll be M&B3 already.

kay, made further testing with the Smithing in a cheating play through. It definitely sucks, it's just pure garbage, you'll virtually never be able to craft the weapon you want, you'll always be stuck with whatever the **** the disgusting RNG dictates you'll unlock. Even to max out smithing is a nightmare, apparently any skill beyond 200 is virtually impossible to level up adequately. I'd wager that you'll need to grind over 10 million kills with a single weapon type to even reach 250, 300+ is just out of reach, unless you put 5 focus and all attributes into the same ****ing tree. On smithing, you'll need to craft a gazillion 63k valued weapons, and that if you are lucky to get the necessary unlocks to make such expensive weapons, even then, after 225, it's 1 skill point per crafting, which takes ages, and I mean, ages, when you're done unlocking everything there'll be M&B3 already.
Most funny part of smiting is:

I have 1023 right now. (some bug give me a lot of xp)
I have all parts unlocked

And guess what - i dont need it at all. Legendary weapons dissapear after 1-s reload. And espet that it has no purpose.

Most funny part of smiting is:

I have 1023 right now. (some bug give me a lot of xp)
I have all parts unlocked

And guess what - i dont need it at all. Legendary weapons dissapear after 1-s reload. And espet that it has no purpose.
thank god someone could test the ****ing legendaries... So they are broken, unsurprising. I've had a tin-foil theory that TW has made every single aspect of late game impossible to reach because those features are not working anyway, so it's better to block people from trying them out.

thank god someone could test the ****ing legendaries... So they are broken, unsurprising. I've had a tin-foil theory that TW has made every single aspect of late game impossible to reach because those features are not working anyway, so it's better to block people from trying them out.
Legendary weapons are broken in 2 ways:

1) They are OP as hell
Look at damage and speed of that thing and compare it to Romphalia

2) After loading this bonuses will dissapear.

Legendary weapons are broken in 2 ways:

1) They are OP as hell
Look at damage and speed of that thing and compare it to Romphalia

2) After loading this bonuses will dissapear.

I disagree on point 1, they are not broken for being OP, they are broken because armor soaking is broken.
After all, it's a legendary weapon, it's supposed to be OP. Currently a peasant with a tree branch can kill you with 2 hits while you're wearing full plate...

Point 2 means that it's a useless feature + perk.

Point 2 means that it's a useless feature + perk.
Yep. It is really good to know that you spend 50 hours of real time and millions game cash to something that is absolutely useless.

Most of things in this game have 2 purposes:
1) to be there
2) to look cool

And thats all.

Smithing as it is does not belong in the game. It's straight out of some shovelware MMO that want you to buy stamina potions for $1.99 while you grind for 2000 hours. They should keep the UI but just let you pay the town smith to make the weapon you design.

Well smithing is an interesting feature but it is not well implemented.
1) Grinding this skill is really painful.
2) It messes with the economy of the game due to how bad the economy is designed.
3) It is only for weapons and not for amors or at least i can find the armors at the moment.

Fixing this is tricky, i personally would:
1) Remove stamina (You already have the limits of money and materials)
2º) Value of weapons and armors should decrease considerably, after all its not like it matters in sp.
3º) Let me craft armors, shields, weapons and horse armors.

I thought so too. Until I crafted a cutting polearm for myself, gained a ton of xp and discovered it was worth 58000 GPs. And that a higher tier thrusting polearm was worth almost no xp and only 1861 gp, despite being harder and made of higher tier metal.
Yes, thrusting polearms have very low damage so they give very low exp, it's ridiculous.

Back
Top Bottom