My Custom Knights

Users who are viewing this thread

UniversalWolf

Sergeant
A long time ago I promise some screen shots of my custom knights.  I'm still tweaking these, but here they are:

My character, Romulus Atrasolaris:

355TVWO.jpg

Victory after storming a castle:

msA8gjB.jpg

Victory in the field:

Wg1lGGF.jpg

A column of knights:

uM5FANG.jpg

For the armor I re-colored the Rus Scale Armor texture.  The helmet is one of the Nordic Helms (normanhelmet, IIRC).  The shield is a full re-texture of the Steel Shield model.  I think it looks a bit like bronze plating on the front.  The boots are a simple re-color of the Rus Cavalry Boots.  The horse is one of the Rhun horses from the awsome mod The Last Days.  It's scaled to 120 so it look huge even next to chargers and warhorses.  The sword is also from The Last Days.  It looks really nice, but I'm not sure whether or not I'll keep it because there are some really nice swords in Silverstag.

I can clearly see something is wrong with the outer terrain background texture...hmm  is it just in the Steppe its doing this?  And this is basic version?  Reason I am asking is because mine is trashed but only in the steppe.. is this the case for everyone using the Basic version?

Dawg of War said:
I can clearly see something is wrong with the outer terrain background texture...
It's the full version, and it happens everywhere.  I suspect it's related to me having set my graphics settings really low for performance reasons.  The far away tree models look very simplified.

UniversalWolf said:
Dawg of War said:
I can clearly see something is wrong with the outer terrain background texture...
It's the full version, and it happens everywhere.  I suspect it's related to me having set my graphics settings really low for performance reasons.  The far away tree models look very simplified.

The outer terrain mesh wont change with the tree texture or low texture settings.  It should look like this...although its night time you can still see it.

I believe its caused from a texture overwrite somewhere...tree or xtree meshes texture.  I will look into it.

Edit: - Redownloaded the texture files from the drop and then copied them into the texture folder of the mod over writing them and that seemed to fix the problem for me.

Dawg of War said:
The outer terrain mesh wont change with the tree texture or low texture settings....I believe its caused from a texture overwrite somewhere...tree or xtree meshes texture.
I see what you're getting at.  Thanks.

I'll see if I can fix it too.
TripleThreat said:
Yes yes, those are some pretty cool looking Knights :grin:

Thanks!  Mainly I just wanted something that looked unlike anything else in the game.

The Rhun horses from TLD look great, even though the textures are lower-res.  I scaled them up so they're huge, but now they look correct for big warhorses, and that makes me think the horses in MnB are all a bit too small.  I've seen wooden models of medieval warhorses made to fit real medieval warhorse armor, and they're really quite enormous.  The funny thing is, if I talk to one of my companions, the horse is so big I'm talking to his belly because his head sticks up beyond the top of the screen!

They remind me the late Byzantine cataphracts who have stopped using bows because of the poor training which applied to the Byzantin Empire's troops some centuries before it collapsed. And they are very nice :grin:

TrolKabu said:
They remind me the late Byzantine cataphracts who have stopped using bows because of the poor training which applied to the Byzantin Empire's troops some centuries before it collapsed. And they are very nice :grin:
Thanks!

It's funny, the norman helmet does seem to go pretty well with the eastern-looking Rus armor, and it makes them have an overall eastern look.

What I really wanted was a small, square wooden shield.  Turns out it's pretty hard to find a square shield model though, especially a small one.  I may have to make one sometime.

Leifdin said:
Perhaps if they were added into mod as mercenaries? (as long as you wish to share)
Well, I certainly wouldn't mind, but the warhorses are a big part of it, and they're from The Last Days.  TLD has become open-source recently, but the horses would still need new, bigger textures because they were made for original Mount&Blade.  That's something Windy can decide for himself 'cause I don't know whether that's something he would want to do.  TLD is a pretty incredible, iconic mod, so cannibalizing items from it could be considered tacky by some.

I'm perfectly happy to donate anything I've done, which amounts to a re-colored Rus Scale Armor texture, a very simple re-coloration of the Rus Cavalry Boots, and a new texture, normal, and specular map for the steel shield (although I don't consider that finished).

Mostly what I've done is just cobble together a bunch of disparate pieces.

Got a few more shots to add.

Another warhorse I made by re-coloring the red tournament horse and giving it a decent specular map:
Tbu3wVi.jpg

A shot of my re-colored texture for the Rus Scale Armor next to the regular version.  My PC sits higher up on his giant warhorse:
OhmxcuP.jpg

Same, with boots:
PApRdZq.jpg

I made a re-color of the vanilla Warband Scale Armor for my lower tier troops.  Here it's modelled by Ymira in victorious pose:
cbojTJl.jpg

After trying numerous swords I wasn't happy with any of them, so I decided to use the vanilla Morningstar.  I think it fits.

UniversalWolf said:
Leifdin said:
Perhaps if they were added into mod as mercenaries? (as long as you wish to share)
I'm perfectly happy to donate anything I've done, which amounts to a re-colored Rus Scale Armor texture, a very simple re-coloration of the Rus Cavalry Boots, and a new texture, normal, and specular map for the steel shield (although I don't consider that finished).

Mostly what I've done is just cobble together a bunch of disparate pieces.

UniversalWolf said:
Got a few more shots to add.

Another warhorse I made by re-coloring the red tournament horse and giving it a decent specular map:
Tbu3wVi.jpg

A shot of my re-colored texture for the Rus Scale Armor next to the regular version.  My PC sits higher up on his giant warhorse:
OhmxcuP.jpg

Same, with boots:
PApRdZq.jpg

I made a re-color of the vanilla Warband Scale Armor for my lower tier troops.  Here it's modelled by Ymira in victorious pose:
cbojTJl.jpg

After trying numerous swords I wasn't happy with any of them, so I decided to use the vanilla Morningstar.  I think it fits.

Would you be willing to upload a rar with those changed armors and shields? After leading a group of Southward Cataphracts, it's made me want to start my own Byzantium-like nation.

Pallanza said:
Would you be willing to upload a rar with those changed armors and shields?
Sure I would.  The armors are really nothing more than new .dds image files (and a little tinkering with OpenBRF).  The shield will take a little longer because I want to redo it with a new texture map.  The current one is very low-res because it was crammed into a small area on a huge composite sheet of weapon textures for vanilla Warband.  I want to try making a whole new texture for that model, since that's something I've never done before in M&B.  I'll figure it out, but I have to find the time to get to it first.

Leifdin said:
Wow, those look much better!
Thanks!  The original textures for those armors - especially the Rus Scale - are actually really great.  I just tinkered with them a bit to suit my preference.  Making something like that from scratch is another order of magnitude more difficult and impressive.

I think of my troops as sophisticated Ostrogoths with heavy cavalry.  :smile:

Here are a couple of shots of my new shield texture.

Matheld, I think:
Ii9ehNu.jpg

and Artimenner:
epH5gCl.jpg

They still need a little work, but they're coming along.

Back
Top Bottom