Movie Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
Hmm I don't agree with that. It's not self-indulgent on the part of the actors, acting is really natural plain and not overwhelming at all. The plot is also very simple. The first half of the movie might seem a bit self-indulgent because it's slow-paced and not much goes on but that's just a consequence of the realism of the film. And all scenes I can think of contribute to the character building and exposition of power dynamics inside the house relevantly to the second half of the movie except the fire scene.

It's ridiculously self-indulgent on the part of the director, literally since apparently the story is based on his life. Everything about this movie was anathema to the reason I go to movies in the first place and it depressed me to think that I ended up watching as much of it as I did.

Naturally it will win an Oscar.

Calradianın Bilgesi said:
kurczak said:
The House That Jack Built - a new Lars von Trier movie with Matt Dillon as a serial killer. I'm not a massive LvT fan, but this is a masterpiece. Clear 10/10.
Seemed a bit self-indulgent to me. Matt Dillon and Uma Thurman are very nice, I most liked dialogue scenes with the victims. As much as I like forcing people to listen to my favourite classical music, lots of Glenn Gould Bach Partita 6 sprinkled throughout the movie, without any reason I could yet find. Not much psychological insight, and a lot of exploration into 'art'. Lots of weighty ideas that were mentioned seemed to just mysteriously float around without being really illustrated in the film. In the end I think it has some success in exhibiting 'hey violent and destructive can be beautiful' but I'm not sure why that is controversial in 2018. And I'm not sure what justified existence of last half an hour(except last 5 mins) of the movie.
That's what I liked, I was hoping the whole time it wouldn't descend into some petite bourgeois psychoanalyzing and excursions into his childhood when his "abusive uncle shoved a sandwich in his ass and that's why he confuses people with food" or some **** like that which only serves to comfort the audience that "don't worry, you're not like that at all". Yes, a lot of the scenes and the protagonist's ramblings about the noble rot and whatnot don't really have a point, but *hits the pipe* not really having a point is the point. It was about pure joy of creating. Asking what's the point of that is like asking what the point of orgasm is.

Today I saw Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. It's legit, do recommend. It made me laugh, and it shat on Spiderman 3, so it's automatically a good Spiderman movie.

Watched Valerian and the city of a thousand planets. It's mediocre at best, CGI was sometimes like from one of those cheap computer animation kids shows (especially the planet Mül), plot was stupidly predictable and lead actors were as charismatic as a sack of potatoes.

I have recently seen Jules et Jim (1962) and La Peau douce (1964). They are both excellent, especially the latter, but why does there need to be a death at the end in both of them when it is completely unnecessary for the messages of the films. It feels forced, it takes away the subtlety, the understatement and the implicit way of showing things. It is definitely not that the films would be devoid of emotions without them. I just cannot understand why there is a need for someone to die. Sigh.

BIGGER Kentucky James XXL said:
Am I an idiot for thinking that death in drama fiction is kinda cheap?

Not necessarily because you're entitled to your own taste.  There are certain dramatic conventions I'm easily annoyed with that most people seem fine with.  I will say I think it'd be odd for all, or even most stories, to avoid it.  A story can be good with or without it.  But since it is the only possible conclusion to all human life it'd be odd to not see that reflected in fiction.

Arvenski said:
If you're talking about how some dramas (movies or series) kill off a/the main character(s) at the end, I hate that. Absolutely hate it.

Yep, this kind of thing is what I mean. Where deaths feel like they exist separately to the rest of the story, or are sprinkled in such a contrived way that you see every new character and wonder if and when they're going to die.

Arctic is pretty good on its own. Also, it has Mads Mikkelsen, so that makes anything 9/10  :cool: But seriously, it's good. In a theater; would probably be less captivating on a computer if you are a degenerate who watches movies that abominable way.

Recently we were surprised with the moon landing on the hidden face (presumably to look for helium-3) and now I find this trailer:

I liked Polar quite a bit, recommendable for a Sunday afternoon on the sofa

Back
Top Bottom