Mouse lag

Users who are viewing this thread

italiano

Grandmaster Knight
Over the last few days my mouse has stretches of bad lagging, while at other times there is no problem. At times the computer is just unusable. I had this issue months ago but buying a new mouse seemed to fix the problem. It often seems to suggest a problem with the USB connection (it often disconnects and reconnects), but since it usually works, I'm assuming it's a system problem? I read that it may just be a problem with some usb bios setting (how much cpu for that port?), but I haven't tried fiddling around with that yet. I also saw suggestions of checking for spyware and malware, but that isn't the issue.

I forgot some details.

1. The performance of the system seems fine.
2. The system has crashed twice but it immediately resests, so I'm not sure what the error says.
3. A fan stopped working a few days ago, I'm not sure why (I haven't bothered to check it out), but temperature levels seem fine, and it was a general fan not a dedicated one.
4. It doesn't happen with any other sub devices.
5. I've tried updating the driver, but apparently windows thinks they are fine.
6. The problem occured with an old mouse months ago, which is when I replaced it. I haven't had the problem with the new mouse until now.

It comes and goes, a few minutes ago it was unbelievably bad, while now it seems to be normal. I did change a few bios settings (just obvious ones, such as enabling temperature warnings, but also enabling usb mouse and keyboard? I just assumed that maybe it powers the usb ports a little better?).

what OS do you have? both xp and vista can force-reset the comp to "save data" when a critical error is encountered. I think this can be turned off somewhere IIRC.

I used to have the same issue, what mouse do you have? My problem was, AFAIK, that the mouse wasn't getting enough power or something.

Archonsod said:
Tried plugging it into a different USB socket?

Yes and it made no difference.

Shiro, I have XP.

Nahkis, it's a cheap mouse. I would think it was inadequate power, but why would that cause a system error? Could constant and rapid connecting and disconnecting do that?

Considering it is you Zaro I will give you the benefit of the doubt and avoid the straight forward bull****. You did try your mouse in another pc didnt you ?  :lol:

So you said one of the case fans stopped working? fans dont go bust often, was it connected to the mobo?

Try to connect it directly from the supply ( if it has the connectors)  try it in another mobo connector or use another working fan in the same mobo connector. Basically make sure it's the fan that is dead and the connector is fine. 

Both case fans and USB normally receive power from the mobo (same 5V for some fans) if you had mobo problems it could explain the usb disconnections the busted fan and the system crashes. Check if your Vcore and other voltages are acceptable.
Whats your mobo?

You did try your mouse in another pc didnt you ?

The mouse plugs into whatever it wants :razz:.

The fan is working again. I took a look at it and it seemed as if it was sitting low, so I touched it and it was hot. I pushed up and it slipped into place and began working normally. A few days ago I dropped a lamp onto the case. I thought it might have loosened a wiring or something, but obviously it just knocked the fan out a little so we can rule that out as a symptom. I can't imagine it how it would affect it since temperature wasn't an issue (the fan cools it down by a few degrees, and I guess helps more under higher loads, but I was having the usb problem with minimal loads).

Zaro said:
You did try your mouse in another pc didnt you ?

The mouse plugs into whatever it wants :razz:.

The fan is working again. I took a look at it and it seemed as if it was sitting low, so I touched it and it was hot. I pushed up and it slipped into place and began working normally. A few days ago I dropped a lamp onto the case. I thought it might have loosened a wiring or something, but obviously it just knocked the fan out a little so we can rule that out as a symptom. I can't imagine it how it would affect it since temperature wasn't an issue (the fan cools it down by a few degrees, and I guess helps more under higher loads, but I was having the usb problem with minimal loads).
*cause :razz:

I've had a recurring problem where the power cable falls out of my internal DVD drive, and the system (Vista) freezes up for minutes at a time, and I always have to shut down, fix the problem, and restart.  Are you sure nothing like that is happening?

You could try deleting the USB hubs et al in Device Manager, restarting and letting Windows auto-detect them, that would rule out a driver problem. If that doesn't fix it then you're looking at a hardware issue; if the mouse is fine in another machine then probably with your USB hub, if it's ****ed on another machine then the mouse is dead.

It is a cheap mouse and does get heavy use, so it being worn out wouldn't surprise me. I'll forget about it unless it happens again for some reason.

I've been having the same problem again, and I've worked out the the mouse starts working again every time I punch it. Should I assume the mouse is just nearing the end?
?

I've had an identical problem as you, also I switched a couple of mice but to no avail. Tried various usb and ps2 mice, in the end it turned out to be the mobo. Changed couple of burnt condensers and presto it works. Have you checked the condition of your condensers?

Branko said:
Have you checked the condition of your condensers?

Before you posted this I had no idea they even existed. With your problem, did the mouse ever work for long periods of time? This has happened for a total of maybe week out of the last few months.

I had a problem like this just the other day, the mouse would freeze and then report "USB device not recognized."

To fix it I opened Device Manager and expanded the tab labeled "Universal Serial Bus Controllers," opened the USB Root Hub,went to the Power Management tab and unchecked "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."  I did this for all the USB Root Hubs listed (I have five).

This fixed the problem and it has yet to come back, when before the fix the mouse would freeze two minutes into my session.

Edit:
I found the support link.  It may work for you, apparently this is a common bug in WinHexP.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871233

Back
Top Bottom