Mount & Blade Warband Infantry Primer

Users who are viewing this thread

Really found this helpful when I first started playing online, cheers Reapy!

On the note of style: I've noticed no matter what game I play I'll go kamikaze soldier, I'll die a Hell of a lot but I'll take people with me!

Good guide, but it needs one correction: SCIMITARS are sarranid swords. If it's Vaegir's, like you said, something is very wrong with the game. Just google "scimitar".

Whew, that was a long and to me very helpful guide. There was A LOT of stuff that i didn't know here. Like chamber blocking, stunning and other stuff. Thx Reapy :grin:

Sliiight update to the top there, nothing spectacular just a quick mention about control settings (I get asked this in comments on my youtube videos frequently) and a link to the manual.

It probably needs a once over again, but I am becoming slightly rusty and I don't want too much misinformation. I think I need to catch up on some inner workings of the game still too. Anyway, yeah, way past me bed time as usual, and as always very glad that the guide is still helping people get better!

I always love when people can climb the skill cliff and see what the game really has to offer when both opponents are well versed in the game.

Well, I usually pick a glaive,hafted blade or a spear.In maps like Port Assault I take Siege Crossbow and Steel Bolts and go to my spot. I am quite good with spears,glaives,hafted blades,crossbows and bows.

I have an infantry question for someone.  A tactic that some people really rape me with is to take a fairly long spear or axe, and simply attack-kick-attack-kick until I'm dead.  Basically, they have a reach advantage, so I'm forced to block their first attack, which locks me down long enough for them to kick me.  Then during the stun they have time for a quick jab.  As far as I can tell, I can't attack fast enough to break the cycle, and I can't move fast enough to dodge either the kick or the attack after being stunned or blocking the previous one.  I sure hope there's a counter to this.  Any advice?

fabittar said:
Good guide, but it needs one correction: SCIMITARS are sarranid swords. If it's Vaegir's, like you said, something is very wrong with the game. Just google "scimitar".

they were originally Vaegir swords. Sarranids did not get them until later.

wcparker said:
I have an infantry question for someone.  A tactic that some people really rape me with is to take a fairly long spear or axe, and simply attack-kick-attack-kick until I'm dead.  Basically, they have a reach advantage, so I'm forced to block their first attack, which locks me down long enough for them to kick me.  Then during the stun they have time for a quick jab.  As far as I can tell, I can't attack fast enough to break the cycle, and I can't move fast enough to dodge either the kick or the attack after being stunned or blocking the previous one.  I sure hope there's a counter to this.  Any advice?

The thing is you have to move forward slower than normal. A person who can block with a pike can be a big pain in the ass. The first thing you have to learn here is kick range. Even with 1h weapons you can still hit a person and not get kicked. Also remember that you cant kick 'first' moving forward, but you can still be slow enough to let someone step forward behind a swing and kick you right after. I let it happen to me all the time.

So with the pike, work up to them blocking, and someone using the range of the pike make you work for it. Their first hit is theirs totally, so often they will shuffle up / down attacks at whim. When you are now half way along the pike they can typically jab again. What happens with a good pike user is they will jab that second time, then advance close enough to kick you and kick as soon as their swing is over.

So what you need to do is if you know the pike user is a good one, is after that second block, really mind your distance. If he comes forward at you, back up, keeping that kick range. If you are running up on him, make sure you stop outside of kick range and don't get too close. You can even try to peel off to the left or right to try to slip around the kick if you feel lucky, but the 'safe' way is to maintain that distance.

Remember just because you reach the pike user after all that work, doesn't mean you are prone to win, or even going to be able to maintain that close distance. Pikes can be a real pain in the ass with someone who knows how to use them, you just have to be very patient sometimes and keep working at them while avoiding the kicks.

Good luck!

Sounds like my problem is a good grasp of distances.  I usually stay right up in someone's face where I know I can hit them.  I'll have to get a better feel for how far I can get from someone and still be able to land a blow.

Edit:  I just watched your fantastic tutorial video, and I see that my other problem is that I'm not sharp enough on attacking after a block.  Not so much an issue with attack-kick chains, but just spamming in general.  Plenty of people can attack me, get blocked, then hit me before I get a swing off.  *sigh* back to the tutorial mode!

I also just watched your "Warband Education" video on youtube, which is another excellent infantry resource.  If you'll indulge me:  From 2:53 through 3:10 or so you tear up a 2-h axe-wielding nord using a rhodok cleaver.  He manages to block one of your swings, but otherwise, you keep hitting him before his weapon is even chambered.  What was the correct thing for him to do there?  Even supposing he could block you all day, how could he possibly have ever hit you?  I get into this situation a lot, where I can block my opponents attacks, but I'm punished every time I try to swing and eventual killed.  Also, do you have any recommendations for a "learner's" infantry kit?  Not for scoring lots of kills, but one that will punish bad fighting habits and reward good ones.  Polearms, one-handers, or two-handers?  Heavy armor or naked?  Shield or no shield?  Or just whatever I can score some kills with?

Thanks for your advice.  I'm glad you still check on this thread!

Lets see, with that video I made it when warband just got released, so it was chalk full of people who were really new. They all had bad distance and timing so it was easy for me to just get in range and swing first. That isn't so much the case now.  For that guy getting spammed by me, he needed to be on the attack immediatly after a parry, on the same side as my char.  So at say 3:03 after his block, he kinda does nothing for a bit, while I am starting up another swing. The swing he started was right to left, even though I was on his left side.

So to hit me, right after that clank, he should have started a left to right attack, and started moving off to my right, to draw me into that swing arc. He has a slower weapon with the 2h axe so it would be sort of a tight thing. But if you watch that small section, at 3:03 or so when you hear the block noise, he should be starting a new swing right at that point. He doesn't do anything until 3:06, so while that is at slow time it is still enough for my swing to get up and connect first.

But really the idea is that you want to move away from someone's swing if possible and start your own up right away, and be able to judge who will impact first. After a bit, you can see who will hit first as soon as you click the left mouse button based on where his swing is in the animation, where yours is, and where you are both standing.

I am a ****ty battle player so I don't know what'll work well for you there, but in a tdm or something, most of the time you are probably pretty good to have a 1 hit / 1 kill weapon with range since it gives you less time you need to be playing defense. You def want a shield for ranged and cav people couching you somewhere on you too.  But honestly the biggest improvement you will get is being able to block and observe timing.  If you spend a moment to spectate a high scoring player on tdm that is infantry, you will see what they seem to have above most other people is defense. Many kills in TDM for me are still just a block attack back at them with pretty shaky defense. The people that are difficult can reasonably block most single swing attacks (no feints).

I am a bad shield player, but I would say the mistake I see people use with them is getting to close so I kick them, or letting me get right up to the side of them and bashing away right at the edge of the weapon sweet spot. They need to shift away from my swing arc and return swing right after I hit the shield, but also not press in too close to take a foot in the face.

So the way I take down shield users are either to wail away at that good angle, or just do 1 swing feint, most people dropping their guard when they hear the 'woosh' rather than the block impact noise.

Oh yeah Equipment wise, most defense you can get probably helps, so you can stay alive, and watch and get a feel for how people move. My main problem I have is too much aggression, so sometimes just hanging back slightly out of range and waiting and looking for openings can really help.

I don't know if this was asked before, but can you chamber block with a dagger? If so, that would explain why my archer against archer duels with dagger as secondary weapon always fails XD... (dagger usually fails, but its very common to be in an tournament or at the beginning of the game with nothing than a dagger, looking at a group of mountain bandits 2 feet away...  :shock:)

if you have doubts you can test it on the singleplayer. in the arena fights archers starts with a dagger and a bow (and arrows :smile:)

Back
Top Bottom