Who made the biggest impact on earth

• Muhammad Founder of Islam

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Jesus Founder of Christianity

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

I'm of the opinion that time travel in the sense that the "real" past can be changed by going back in time is impossible due to the very fact that by time travelling, you will have changed the circumstances of the world to the point where the exact opportunity for you to time travel in the present would no longer exist in the same fashion, thus causing you to cease to exist. The past, in that case, would be a self-correcting entity.

Skot the Sanguine said:
I do, I just don't attribute it to him.  Personally I attribute that to the successor states, like the Ptolemies and Seleucids.

By the way, the Persians like Nebuchadnezzar and Cyrus the Great had more of an influence on the development of monotheistic religions, specifically Judaism.  There is ample evidence that before their imposed exile Judaism was actually polytheistic.

The successor states wouldn't exist without him, and even if the Macedonian Empire had been brought about by a different man, Alexander's efforts at syncretism, which would put him at odds with many of his contemporary peers, would help ensure the successor states would stand for their hundreds of years and not be a mere passing phenomenon.

(also Nebuchadnezzar was not Persian) Though I'd like to see your sources on how those two were more of an influence on Judaism, that is more of an aside. Though there was certainly philosophy existing prior to the coming of the Greeks, the way in which Greek philosophy formed their inquiries, and what they asked, would be decisive in forming the much more influential monotheist faiths of Christianity and Islam. And just as you mention pre-exile Judaism was polytheistic, the Greco-Roman faith in the days leading up to the ascension of Christianity, and later, Islam was becoming markedly more monotheist.

No, Nebuchadnezzar was Babylonian, but I added his name after having just Cyrus and left the "Persian" in from the latter.  Point being, both were from the Orient instead of Greece.  If one merely looks at the fact that both were mentioned numerous times by name in the Old Testament (which was based on important Jewish texts), they were more important than Alexander was.  To be more specific though, there is some compelling evidence that the Torah was written during the exile in Babylon (due to Nebuchadnezzar) of most Jewish scholars.  Most anachronisms of the Torah would suggest it was written during that period, emphasizing a cult of Yahweh (which was certainly prominent before then) to be the sole deity.  I wish I had the passage on hand, but in one of the Old Testament books it is mentioned that on their return to Jerusalem (due to Cyrus), a group of Jewish priests "found" a copy of the lost holy books used in days of old within the ruins of the Temple of Solomon (which sounds suspiciously similar to the later finding of the spear of destiny in Antioch by Peter the Hermit during the 1st Crusade...similarly when the flock was in danger of scattering).  So, the exile imposed on the Jews was probably the single most important event to catalyze a truly monotheistic take on Judaism, which subsequently influenced all later major monotheistic religions.

By the way, I challenge your comment that the Greco-Roman faith on the eve of Christianity was anything near monotheistic.  The Romans were very much polytheistic, the only difference by the time of the Imperial period was that most only publicly gave any emphasis to it.  Like the Greeks before, many began to doubt its veracity and only went through the motions due to tradition and public piety.

I also can not agree with attributing the events of later generations upon an individual (like Alexander).  If we played that game, the first Indo-European trumps him by default and in turn the first Homo Sapien couple trump all.

Skot the Sanguine said:
I also can not agree with attributing the events of later generations upon an individual (like Alexander).  If we played that game, the first Indo-European trumps him by default and in turn the first Homo Sapien couple trump all.

As has been discussed at length in the thread already. The rest of your arguments are focusing more on the tangents of my argument, not exactly the meat of it.

Ok so im going to add a poll between Muhammad and Jesus. Now this is not about whos the better one or whos the nicest one. This is more about who had more impact on this world.

Well, I'd say Jesus since the most powerful and populous nations ended up being Christian rather than Muslim... but it's obvious that reason doesn't play into this loaded question.

Austupaio said:
Well, I'd say Jesus since the most powerful and populous nations ended up being Christian rather than Muslim... but it's obvious that reason doesn't play into this loaded question.

Yea . But i think muhammad had more impact. Christianity didnt become big until Byzantium accepted it which was about 300 AD . I think it was the people after jesus that really made christianity for what it is today. Muhammad kinda united the whole arabia himself.

Amontadillo said:
The question is no less idiotic than it was when the thread began.

Thanks for dropping in to inform everyone again. If the thread is so offensive to you in its idiocy then campaign for its removal, don't contribute to the activity within it.

ancalimon said:
It was in response to this:
Austupaio said:

I was saying that Jesus wasn't as wholly more influential than mohammed as he was suggesting.

Amontadillo said:
Vermillion_Hawk said:
Thanks for dropping in to inform everyone again. If the thread is so offensive to you in its idiocy then campaign for its removal, don't contribute to the activity within it.
Never claimed I took offense.

I never did either, I was simply putting forward that if the thread was offensive to you in its idiocy then you could probably do better things than state as much twice in the thread if your goal was to get rid of it. That was my scenario for a logical motivation behind the posts, because the other scenario was that they were equally idiotic wastes of words and time, spent pointlessly where they would likely not be heeded. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt in assuming you weren't stupid.

That was not, no, but reiterating your thoughts on the thread being idiotic for no particular reason was. Unfortunately it seems your penchant for wasting both time and space is contagious.

Muhammad Founder of Islam
    Jesus Founder of Christianity
this thread is too silly to even generate controversy
did you know that Muslims cant even vote here
because they believe in both at the same time?!

its like asking Christians to vote between Jesus and Moses!

matmohair1 said:

So, in a Moses vs Jesus vs Mohammed contest Moses would win always? That explains why Jews are behind every conspiration.
:mrgreen:

Maybe certain categories?

Science:

Darwin, Newton, Tesla, Einstein, Edison

Generals:

Napoleon, Alexander the Great,  Caesar, Washington, Genghis Khan

Of Kings and Queens:

Charlemagne, Henry VII, Victoria, Louis XIV, William the Conqueror

Religion:

Jesus, Muhammad, Martin Luther, Gautama Buddha, Saint Peter

Literature:

Dickens, Shakespeare, Homer, Poe, Voltaire

Philosophy:

Cicero, Socrates, Aristotle, Marx, Locke

Music:

Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Handel, Wagner

matmohair1 said:

This isn't necessarily a matter of believing in one prophet or another, but which has had the bigger impact. Of course Muhammad, as the Final Messenger and Prophet, would be considered more important to Muslims than Christ, who they do indeed believe in, but did not believe was the Son of God nor the Messiah, but was merely another in the line of prophets.

matmohair1 said:

I didnt ask who do you believe in. Im asking who changed our history as we know the most, its a  question about history not a religious one

There are only two real inventions made by humankind...
and thus...

1. The one who developed the wheel, sadly history forgot his/er name.

2. Max Planck, The Godfather of Quantum mechanics.

Back
Top Bottom