Morale sucks

Users who are viewing this thread

i have never had to worry about it except in mods like New world where wages were mega high, and even then it didnt matter because when you have 500+ troops it doesnt matter if 1 deserts each day.

I don't like that it's so simple in terms of the men needing to fight every bloody day at some points, but you get used to it / counter at high levels by slamming an army or castle and getting 40 morale :grin:

I do think the party size penalty is too severe, and that the recent events bonus should last longer - capturing an enemy town should keep your troops in high spirits for at least a week. When I build up a huge party I tend to keep 1 of each food item in my inventory to really boost morale. The morale system in this game is pretty good despite any complaints I might have.

Someone made a thread once where to change certain things with Morale for 0.960 I wonder if that still works? Do a search!

Temujin said:
Someone made a thread once where to change certain things with Morale for 0.960 I wonder if that still works? Do a search!
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,36638.0.html

The problem with morale is that the part for Recent Events deteriorates way too quickly. One game week should not affect Recent Events morale much at all. Losing battles, sure, but not for being forced to follow the king.

that's because recent events is a misleadin' description of what your army's actual morale is from battles and then subtracted from the sum of other morale modifies above it.. it's just a formula and if ya run outta food buyin' more food won't increase your morale's total.. it will just decrease the recent events instead.. stuff like that.

I like the morale feature.  It adds another facet that you have to take into consideration while managing your party, making the game more interesting.

I'll probably get blasted for this, but I think it would be cool to see morale implemented on the individual troop level during battles.  If you're getting slaughtered, troops would become fearful, even routing from the field if things got really bad.  The check would need to be for each soldier and occur at regular, short intervals.  If you were demolishing the enemy on the other hand, your troops would fight with greater enthusiasm and perhaps, effectiveness.  A Loyalty factor could apply too, where a higher loyalty to the character would lessen the affects of a battle going bad, and heighten the affects of a battle going well.  It could help to distinguish merc troops from troops trained from raw recruits a bit.

This kind of morale is something I really  liked about playing the older Total War games (Medieval 1, Shogun) online in teams against other teams of human players.  It was the player/team that maintained morale in addition to effective strategy and team tactics that won the battle.

Togakure said:
I'll probably get blasted for this, but I think it would be cool to see morale implemented on the individual troop level during battles.  If you're getting slaughtered, troops would become fearful, even routing from the field if things got really bad. 

I believe there was a mod that incorporated that aspect into it at least...not sure if there was an added buff of some sort if you were doing well, but I distinctly remember routing was a possibility...can't for the life of me remember what that mod was called...

HardCode said:
It's Chel's mod ... Battle Moral Mod? Something like that.

Thats the one where the troops would all coagulate in the cornere of the map if they were losing.  It also displayed their health if you pressed a ceartain key.

Interesting.  At some point I'll have to check that mod out.  Thanks for the pointers.

Hmm ... coagulating in the corner isn't what I had envisioned.  I was thinking they'd route in the direction they came from, and leave the map when reaching the edge.  Reinforcements would arrive with reduced battle morale, affected by their fleeing mates.  Conversely, reinforcements for the winning side would be impetuous, anticipating victory, etc..

Togakure said:
Interesting.  At some point I'll have to check that mod out.  Thanks for the pointers.

Hmm ... coagulating in the corner isn't what I had envisioned.  I was thinking they'd route in the direction they came from, and leave the map when reaching the edge.  Reinforcements would arrive with reduced battle morale, affected by their fleeing mates.  Conversely, reinforcements for the winning side would be impetuous, anticipating victory, etc..

Well the problem was that Chel couldnt put AI retreating into the game, so thats the best he could do.

Back
Top Bottom