Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody said:
Say we have a companion, Borcha. By default he looks like a horse thief, and wears a khergit armor. He's a troop entity. What he's wearing and his stats are data saved in the savegame so those require a new game to update. If you place an item before the khergit armor, he'll have the new item in his armor slot (which isn't a good thing) and every item after that is also screwed up in hero inventories.
Now, your party consists of yourself, Borcha, and a Farmer. If you put something before the Farmer, he'll get bumped down and you won't see him in your party. Say you change the farmer to be also able to upgrade to a bandit. That change is a reference between the farmer and bandit which will apply in your savegame.
Slots are data much like troop inventories. Pretty much everything you'll see in module_constant is a reference, but the game doesn't care what your references were called in the module system - it's all compiled into numbers now. So if Borcha's slot_troop_morality_type had a value of tmt_honest=4, and you later shifted slots so that slot_troop_morality_type = 63, the script accessing an older savegame will instead access what was slot_troop_morality_value.

Ok, so entities are the troops (and items?) themselves. Data is the information that tells what an entity wears/it's stats. And References are the things that tell what data/entities are put into certain places. Hope I got that all right.

On the dialogue problem side of things, I'm still not able to find the problem. I went through each and every line of scripts/troops/strings that relates to creating a companion but there's got to be something I'm missing.

OK, took a quick look at the problem I was having.  This appears to work, although the precision is still not quite what I'd like; I'll have to adjust it a little bit manually I think, it's aiming a little bit high (but not missing altogether, like it was before, which is a huge improvement).

Anyhow, here's a script to point the Z axis (forward-back) towards a target position.  There's probably a cheaper way to do it but this appears to work.
Code:
  # script_point_z_toward_position
  # based on script_point_y_toward_position by motomataru
  # Input: from position, to position
  # Output: pos63: modified position with corrected Z vector
  ("point_y_toward_position", [
	(store_script_param, ":from_position", 1),
	(store_script_param, ":to_position", 2),
	(position_get_x, ":dist_x_to_cosine", ":to_position"),
	(position_get_x, ":from_coord", ":from_position"),
	(val_sub, ":dist_x_to_cosine", ":from_coord"),
	(store_mul, ":sum_square", ":dist_x_to_cosine", ":dist_x_to_cosine"),
	(position_get_z, ":dist_z_to_sine", ":to_position"),
	(position_get_z, ":from_coord", ":from_position"),
	(val_sub, ":dist_z_to_sine", ":from_coord"),
	(store_mul, reg2, ":dist_z_to_sine", ":dist_z_to_sine"),
	(val_add, ":sum_square", reg2),
	(convert_from_fixed_point, ":sum_square"),
	(store_sqrt, ":distance_between", ":sum_square"),
	(try_begin),
		(gt, ":distance_between", 0),
		(convert_to_fixed_point, ":dist_x_to_cosine"),
		(val_div, ":dist_x_to_cosine", ":distance_between"),
		(convert_to_fixed_point, ":dist_z_to_sine"),
		(val_div, ":dist_z_to_sine", ":distance_between"),
		(try_begin),
			(lt, ":dist_x_to_cosine", 0),
			(assign, ":bound_a", 90),
			(assign, ":bound_b", 270),
			(assign, ":theta", 180),
		(else_try),
			(assign, ":bound_a", 90),
			(assign, ":bound_b", -90),
			(assign, ":theta", 0),
		(try_end),
		(assign, ":sine_theta", 0),	#avoid error on compile
		(convert_to_fixed_point, ":theta"),
		(convert_to_fixed_point, ":bound_a"),
		(convert_to_fixed_point, ":bound_b"),
		(try_for_range, reg0, 0, 6),	#precision 90/2exp6 (around 2 degrees)
			(store_sin, ":sine_theta", ":theta"),
			(try_begin),
				(gt, ":sine_theta", ":dist_z_to_sine"),
				(assign, ":bound_a", ":theta"),
			(else_try),
				(lt, ":sine_theta", ":dist_z_to_sine"),
				(assign, ":bound_b", ":theta"),
			(try_end),
			(store_add, ":angle_sum", ":bound_b", ":bound_a"),
			(store_div, ":theta", ":angle_sum", 2),
		(try_end),
		(convert_from_fixed_point, ":theta"),
		(position_get_rotation_around_y, reg3, ":from_position"),
		(val_sub, ":theta", reg3),
		(val_sub, ":theta", 90),	#point y-axis at destination
		(position_rotate_y, ":from_position", ":theta"),
	(try_end),
	(copy_position, pos63, ":from_position"),
  ]),

Hello, new to this thread and whatnot, but I wanted to ask if someone could give me a quick tutorial on how to get the janissary uniform and a wheelock musket from With Fire and Sword into Warband. I understand I must put .dds files into textures, and .brf files into resources, but I am still lost. Which files do I need to move, and how do I reference them in the troops file. Also, How do I put it into the items file(And which one is the items file??) and finally, am I missing anything or do I have all the necessary steps down? Pics would be appreciated, thank you in advance for all the help.

Could someone tell me what the environment map in the materials section does.

Also is the 15 at the end here how much parties of the certain party is spawned, so if I wanted just one party of this group running around I would change the 15 to one. I just want someone to confirm this so I can be sure.

("militia_sp"  ,"militia_sp",pf_disabled|pf_is_static, no_menu, pt_none, fac_outlaws,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(1.88, -27.8:cool:,[(trp_looter,15,0)]),

xPearse said:
Also is the 15 at the end here how much parties of the certain party is spawned, so if I wanted just one party of this group running around I would change the 15 to one. I just want someone to confirm this so I can be sure.

("militia_sp"  ,"militia_sp",pf_disabled|pf_is_static, no_menu, pt_none, fac_outlaws,0,ai_bhvr_hold,0,(1.88, -27.8:cool:,[(trp_looter,15,0)]),
No, that is telling it to make that party template have 15 looter troops, always.
You could do (trp_looter, min, max) and then it would randomly select a number between min (inclusive) and max (exclusive).

This is explained at the top of the party templates file.

Bravo2255 said:
How do I change the swing of weapons to only upper swing and lower swing, Not the two side swings, I know you can do it through morgh's but when you update MS again, it removes it.
Those are the itcf_ flags; remove the itc_ ones from the item (these are just pre-set groups of itcf_ flags) and specify only the itcf_s that you want. You can see them all in header_items

I deleted all itc_  This is what I get

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "process_init.py", line 2, in <module>
    from process_operations import *
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\mountblade warband\Modules
\WarForIndependence\Module_system 1.151\process_operations.py", line 13, in <mod
ule>
    from module_items import *
\WarForIndependence\Module_system 1.151\module_items.py", line 1235
    53 , weight(2.0)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(102) | weapon_length(120)| thrust_da
mage(25 ,  pierce),imodbits_polearm ],
     ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
  File "process_global_variables.py", line 12, in <module>
\WarForIndependence\Module_system 1.151\process_operations.py", line 13, in <mod
ule>
     ^
Exporting strings...
Exporting skills...
Exporting tracks...
Exporting animations...
Exporting meshes...
Exporting sounds...
Exporting skins...
  File "process_map_icons.py", line 6, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting faction data...
  File "process_items.py", line 4, in <module>
     ^
Exporting scene data...
  File "process_scenes.py", line 15, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting troops data
Exporting particle data...
  File "process_scene_props.py", line 7, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_tableau_materials.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_presentations.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting party_template data...
  File "process_parties.py", line 6, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting quest data...
Exporting info_page data...
  File "process_scripts.py", line 7, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_mission_tmps.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_game_menus.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_simple_triggers.py", line 5, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_dialogs.py", line 9, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_global_variables_unused.py", line 3, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting postfx_params...

Script processing has ended.
Press any key to exit. . .

Code:
["spontoon", "Spontoon", [("spontoon",0)], itp_type_polearm|itp_offset_lance|itp_merchandise| itp_primary|itp_wooden_parry|itcf_carry_spear,itcf_thrust_polearm,itcf_overswing_polearm
 53 , weight(2.0)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(102) | weapon_length(120)| thrust_damage(25 ,  pierce),imodbits_polearm ],

Hi ! I have a question about dialogs : what's define (sorry for my english :sad: ) who is a taverner ? (why troop trp_tavernkeeper_townX is using tavernkeeper_talk and not start ? (For an example)

Bravo2255 said:
I deleted all itc_  This is what I get

Code:
  File "process_init.py", line 2, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_global_variables.py", line 12, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting strings...
Exporting skills...
Exporting tracks...
Exporting animations...
Exporting meshes...
Exporting sounds...
Exporting skins...
  File "process_map_icons.py", line 6, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting faction data...
  File "process_items.py", line 4, in <module>
     ^
Exporting scene data...
  File "process_scenes.py", line 15, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting troops data
Exporting particle data...
  File "process_scene_props.py", line 7, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_tableau_materials.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_presentations.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting party_template data...
  File "process_parties.py", line 6, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting quest data...
Exporting info_page data...
  File "process_scripts.py", line 7, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_mission_tmps.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_game_menus.py", line 8, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_simple_triggers.py", line 5, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_dialogs.py", line 9, in <module>
ule>
     ^
  File "process_global_variables_unused.py", line 3, in <module>
ule>
     ^
Exporting postfx_params...

Script processing has ended.
Press any key to exit. . .

Code:
["spontoon", "Spontoon", [("spontoon",0)], itp_type_polearm|itp_offset_lance|itp_merchandise| itp_primary|itp_wooden_parry|itcf_carry_spear,itcf_thrust_polearm,itcf_overswing_polearm
 53 , weight(2.0)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(102) | weapon_length(120)| thrust_damage(25 ,  pierce),imodbits_polearm ],
Flags refer to specific bits that get joined into one 'number', so you use the bitwise OR operation | to join them not a comma (just like the other item flags you see there)
itcf_carry_spear|itcf_thrust.... yadda yadda

Hi, guys...just asking, is there any OSP cannon available that is compatible with WFAS?
- If not, is there a tutorial on how to implement a "simple cannon"?
        - Is a fully A.I. controlled cannon actually possible to create (can be moved, aimed, reloaded, and shot by the A.I.)?

Also, sorry for so many questions but...how would one modify reinforcements in WFAS for Single Player?
- I can't seem to find the code snippets in the modules or text files that are stated by various tutorials.
- Also TweakMB doesn't seem to have a functional reinforcements editor.

Thank you in advanced!  :grin:  :grin:

Is there a way to move position of a Firearm?

3D9F254A93D6D9A18173B10CB88A32025B3FD802

Devotion said:
Hi, guys...just asking, is there any OSP cannon available that is compatible with WFAS?
- If not, is there a tutorial on how to implement a "simple cannon"?
        - Is a fully A.I. controlled cannon actually possible to create (can be moved, aimed, reloaded, and shot by the A.I.)?

Also, sorry for so many questions but...how would one modify reinforcements in WFAS for Single Player?
- I can't seem to find the code snippets in the modules or text files that are stated by various tutorials.
- Also TweakMB doesn't seem to have a functional reinforcements editor.

Thank you in advanced!  :grin:  :grin:

Sorry to double post, But no, it is very hard to make AI controlled cannons ( I don't wanna say Impossible, Bacause nothing it) But anyway, very difficult.

I see there's a "use next item as melee" flag on the module system. For say, javelins, that you can use as melee. However, I'm trying to have a spear used as melee, but when hitting the 'x' button it'd become throwable. Same for a sword and use the throwing knives animation or so. But there seems not to be a flag for "use next item as ranged".
Is there a way around this?

izaktj said:
I see there's a "use next item as melee" flag on the module system. For say, javelins, that you can use as melee. However, I'm trying to have a spear used as melee, but when hitting the 'x' button it'd become throwable. Same for a sword and use the throwing knives animation or so. But there seems not to be a flag for "use next item as ranged".
Is there a way around this?
Since only the player can use different weapon modes (so far as I am aware) it should work to set it up like a javelin, but then only have the second, melee item marked as merchandise.
Scratch that, read what Madoc said...I didn't think through things enough.

I have seen ai on numerous occasions switching modes: they just don't have the opportunity to do so much in native. Anyway, marking the second item as merchandise will mean that you buy a melee item that can't "switch back" to a throwing item. Keep in mind that "use_next_item_as_melee" is a misnomer: you can have the first and second item be any type, and it will switch between them; however, going from melee first to throwing second messes up the ammo count, so you can only have 1 as your max ammo if you want the melee version to come first.

For a mod I'm working, I've basically re-scripted the AI for aiming and firing from scratch. It wasn't strictly necessary to do that, but it seemed like the best thing to do. The only problem is that the bots shoot at where their target is, and not where it's going. So if you're sidestepping, their projectiles will always fly just past your side. It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with an algorithm that would make them shoot the right distance in front of their target, but I have no idea how to do it. I failed math in school, so I'm going to need the help of some kind soul who's willing to take pity on me. :razz:

MadocComadrin said:
I have seen ai on numerous occasions switching modes: they just don't have the opportunity to do so much in native. Anyway, marking the second item as merchandise will mean that you buy a melee item that can't "switch back" to a throwing item. Keep in mind that "use_next_item_as_melee" is a misnomer: you can have the first and second item be any type, and it will switch between them; however, going from melee first to throwing second messes up the ammo count, so you can only have 1 as your max ammo if you want the melee version to come first.
Thanks, so would "use_next_item_as_melee" be more correct if named "use_next_item_as_alternate"?

Edit: When I do this, I get the message "You're not carrying any bolts"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom