Modding Q&A [For Quick Questions and Answers]

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody said:
It has to do with level and skill redistribution which occurs with every new game. There's even a formula floating around somewhere - basically either reduce the level or crank up useless stats like charisma (haven't bothered testing it).

I take it that's hardcoded? In any case, any help is appreciated here, especially from people who got around this problem in their own mods after a bit of pain. I use the levels extensively to control troop quality spread, experience/level curve and other things, and I don't think that's exactly the right solution in my case. I'm a bit short on my time as well, unfortunately. Any thread of relevance will be very useful for me, I don't really know where to look for answers atm.

Could someone just quickly explain on replacing the native loading screens? D: I have done my own etc and their going for my mod. But I'm not sure how to load them. I have tried copying core_materials, textures and pictures and changing their values and making the ini load them but nothing changed.

mr.master said:
Could someone just quickly explain on replacing the native loading screens? D: I have done my own etc and their going for my mod. But I'm not sure how to load them. I have tried copying core_materials, textures and pictures and changing their values and making the ini load them but nothing changed.

The core_* resources are hardcoded. Surely cmp can make them modular (by replacing the strings on memory) but in the while you can only reskin the interface by replacing the textures.

So, how would I make them work in my mod? I mean, do I need to actually drop the files in the main texture folder or ? I need to change the main background screen and the loading screen, and some of the ui screens.

mr.master said:
So, how would I make them work in my mod? I mean, do I need to actually drop the files in the main texture folder or ?

No, simply replace the textures referenced in that core files by the ones contained in your module folder. Be sure to activate its correct loading by modifying 
Code:
module.ini
to:
Code:
scan_module_textures = 1

And that's all. If you don't want to have some screen in specific do a full alpha-layered 4x4px blank DDS.

Every banner (as in heraldry) in-game is tied to a specific colour so the back of the armour fits with the actual heraldry, right?

I'm wondering if it's possible to assign a secondary colour in a similar way to every banner, how would someone go about achieving that?

In case anyone is wondering it's to make it possible to make helmets coloured in a more interesting way; I know it's possible to get the game to colour a helmet to fit the heraldry but it would be great if other parts of the helmet would then be filled in with the secondary colour. For nice patterns. :3

i just discovered the possibility to make items out of multiple meshes, like it is often done with scene props. (naming them "mesh","mesh.1",mesh.2",...)
With this i can use multiple materials/texture sheets. I would find that quite useful for making shields, for example: one texture for the stuff all the shields use (backside, handles, buckler etc., and some more just for the pattern.

But i haven't seen items made like this, so are there any drawbacks to this?

I hope you understand what i mean, kinda hard to explain.

Somebody said:
Make a new array of colors (call it banner_second_color_array), then fill in slot values, then look at the original tableau_custom_banners and script_draw_banner for usage.
Sounds complicated, but I shall endeavour to look into it.
Not sure how I'd designate which bits to be coloured in the secondary colour though.

FrisianDude said:
In case anyone is wondering it's to make it possible to make helmets coloured in a more interesting way; I know it's possible to get the game to colour a helmet to fit the heraldry but it would be great if other parts of the helmet would then be filled in with the secondary colour. For nice patterns. :3
Wait, you can now have heraldric helmets in WB? Are you sure?

FrisianDude said:
Not sure how I'd designate which bits to be coloured in the secondary colour though.
In vanilla color mesh is projected on the the item through alpha cutout in item texture, you should make same alpha cutout in one of the color meshes, so that secondary color projected through.

Ohh. So the normal texture, with bits left out for filling in, then the alpha which fills the bits in with it's own bits left out?

GetAssista said:
FrisianDude said:
Wait, you can now have heraldric helmets in WB? Are you sure?
Relatively sure, yes, I think Othr did some and posted screens somewhere in his 1257 board but he never changed the numbers so the actual heraldry'd be in the right spot, but I think it's possible. I'm going to try a basic one (without secondary and without the actual heraldry, only the colour) today. For some reason I thought for sure it's possible but I haven't actually tried it very well yet.  :oops:

FrisianDude said:
Relatively sure, yes, I think Othr did some and posted screens somewhere in his 1257 board but he never changed the numbers so the actual heraldry'd be in the right spot, but I think it's possible.
Ok, if you find a link, please post it (I did not find any)
You can have heraldric "helm"as a part of armor mesh, rigged to head bone ofc. Just as you can have a heraldric banner or lance, but in a shield hand as a shield item. Never heard or seen anything else.

WSE might make them possible though, as well as horses, I hope

You're right, took a while to find it, but look at this. The helmet is less than perfect but he said he used the shield tableau instead of one for a helmet. I imagine it would be quite possible to get it to use only the colour of the heraldry without the actual device on the helmet. Also, both 1257 AD and Europe 1200 seem to have heraldic lances. :grin:

Any item (helm, gloves, boots) can be "heraldic", just apply a corresponding tableau in ti_on_init_item, as with body armor. I have personally only done colored helmets (using cur_tableau_add_mesh_with_vertex_color with a whiteish texture), but also applying a banner texture with an alpha cutout would be straightforward.

But it was already done, i think.maybe you didn't understand me well.
to begin we can say that i want one town to have specifics units recruitables in it.this is not hard.
now imagine that i want to make for a group of towns.(a trigger that works with all those cities will do the job well)
So are you still thinking its hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom