Resolved Militias don't take casualties when being starved

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
No, I didn't use any mods.
Summary: I besiege any town in the game or castle and when they run out of food, the garrisons die off from attrition, but not the militias. So just then I besieged a town with 700 troops, 200 garrison and 500 militia for 15 days, the garrison all died but they still had 500 militia left which took no losses.
How to Reproduce
: Besiege anything until it starves

Summary: I besiege any town in the game or castle and when they run out of food, the garrisons die off from attrition, but not the militias. So just then I besieged a town with 700 troops, 200 garrison and 500 militia for 15 days, the garrison all died but they still had 500 militia left which took no losses.
How to Reproduce
: Besiege anything until it starves
You can't starve the militia anymore, pretty sure it was in the patch notes.

I believe it's by design. The militia is made up from the population. Whilst in real life, starving a stronghold would starve everyone (with the population likely starving before the garrison), it would result in you taking a town with no people left and therefore no prosperity which is bad in the game sense. Besides militia are easy to kill.

Last edited:
I'll also mention that I'm pretty sure the garrison doesn't 'die off'. They just become incapacitated to the point where they are unable to fight. This is a good thing because it means you get more prisoners when you take the settlement and they are higher quality than the militia, so more money from the ransom broker or, prisoners you can recruit better troops from.

I believe it's by design. The militia is made up from the population. Whilst in real life, starving a stronghold would starve everyone (with the population likely starving before the garrison), it would result in you taking a town with no people left and therefore no prosperity which is bad in the game sense. Besides militia are easy to kill.

The garrison and population dying off should be the trade-off for taking a city with no casualties in your side. Why is the neutering of this mechanic a good thing?

Warband had the same issue, starving guys out would just wound them and they would recover in a couple of days. The attacker would then run out of food before the defender which was ridiculous. As a result nobody used the mechanic and you had to do tedious assaults on every settlement.

Very well then your army should all be diseased, with a third dying from it, upon entering the town with all the dead bodies as a trade-off; you can go on and on like that but this is the developers intended design.

Back
Top Bottom