Merge Update and question: Troop Tree.

Users who are viewing this thread

I need to know what I can get away with in terms of changes to the troop tree.  The basic 1755 troop tree is not fully compatible with the Native Mof Compilation as it does not have the Diplomacy NPC's in it, the peasants and manhunters are in the wrong place on the list, and I edited the item_kinds.txt to make sure all the new books are there, which set some of the numbers off wrong so the wrong items are turning up in inventories.  It's the biggest remaining obstacle to actually getting this done.

My inclination is to issue the release with the default NMC tree in all its messed-up glory and let you guys add your stuff in manually.  I may have to do the same with the items eventually, but I want to try this first.  And I don't want to do it myself because I'm not intimately familiar with 1755's troop tree, nor am I a 18th century history wizard so much of what I do would need to be done over for stylistic reasons anyway.

The other way of doing it is MUCH more tedious -- transcribing everything from the old troop tree into troops.py, transcribing the NEW item tree into item_kinds.py. and recompiling.  It will work, but before I do that much work on a mod like this, I want to either be paid (lol) or to know that it's definitely going to be exactly right the first time I do it.  Either way, that's going to involve you guys giving direct input.

So what I intend to do after church today is "release" the Mod as is, with the edited Item Kinds and the default troop tree and see if anyone is interested in taking the troop tree in hand and restoring it to what it should be.

I responded in the other thread of yours but I'll repeat how you could get the troop tree to work for you. 

Somewhere in this mod subforum there is a picture of the troop trees.  You could use Morgh's mod tools to make the upgrades and equipment in your mod the same as they are in 1755.  If you need more slots for troops [I know that is a module system term for something else but it is applicable here] in troops.txt, add them after the last troop.

You would want to add all the items [uniforms/weapons/etc] obviously before you assign them to the troops.  Some positions in the item_kinds1.txt file are hardcoded.  An example of this is the reward you get for defeating the drunk in the tavern.

You really should pm Gaston.  He is reverse engineering the txt into py.  The two of you could split the work [and headaches]. :grin:

Actually with what I'm doing the hard coding is less important Crumbs, because I'm not using your scripts or module codes.  I can't, because of all the changes to the scripts in NMC.  I'm strictly using your items list, skins, textures, images, sounds and most of the convos, and trying to use them to re-skin an already-released module.  I appreciate knowing that though, because it's a potential landmine with the way I'm doing things.

Back
Top Bottom