Merchant quest

Users who are viewing this thread

John Xenir

Knight
I r noob at modding m&b, so I decided to start with doing quests and initial merchant quest looks quite interesting as it features many different things. I am able to follow how the quest progress via dialogs and quests modules, but when it goes to "action", I am kinda lost. To be specific, where (in modules) is merchant brother spawned. I looked in triggers module, but I am not able to find it there.

If you are a noob quests are a challenge. But you may be a persistent SOB type of noob, so here we go.

Where is merchant's brother spawned? Here's how to go about it:
1. The merchant brother must be a separate troop, so first search the troops file for "brother" or whatever his onscreen name is.
You get this:
  ["relative_of_merchant", "Merchant's Brother", "{!}Prominent",tf_hero,0,0,fac_kingdom_2,
  [itm_linen_tunic,itm_nomad_boots],
  def_attrib|level(1),wp_melee(10),knows_athletics_1|knows_ironflesh_2|knows_shield_2, 0x00000000320410022d2595495491afa400000000001d9ae30000000000000000, mercenary_face_2], 

2. Now if you search the module system for "trp_relative_of_merchant", you will get all the references for the brother, including his spawning code. Like here in the "bandit_lair" mission template:
This sequence:
          (try_begin),
            (eq, ":starting_town_faction", "fac_kingdom_1"),
            (assign, ":troop_of_merchant", "trp_relative_of_merchant"),

... is followed by code to find the nearest entry point, and spawning the brother there:
          (add_visitors_to_current_scene, ":nearest_entry_point", ":troop_of_merchant", 1, 0),

Ok thanks, but what is overall purpose of mission template module? They are not explained in Armagan's module system documentation. I pretty much understand other modules, maybe only what would be a difference between triggers and simple triggers and why they are separated.

Mission templates define what happens in scenes, like walking around town, battles(!), or anything else. They ARE explained in Chapter 11 of this tutorial: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,56798.0.html.
Triggers and simple triggers are basically the same, (the) triggers are slightly more powerful. Read the top comments in the files to see why.

module_triggers and module_simple_triggers run on the world map.

Only the triggers in a specific mission template's list within module_mission_templates run in the mission/scene defined by that mission template.
Mission template triggers are of the same format as the old-form/module_triggers. See my syntax guide for more info...but definitely start with the link MadVader posted.

Okay, I went through the tutorial (except texture things which I won't need for now), it went everything well, except battle arena with geoffrey, how to actually activate this mission template.

Btw, what the sign {!} stands for?

Back
Top Bottom