Melee In NW

Users who are viewing this thread

There's this thing in game called blocking, you should try it sometime.

The fact that you are free and safe to feint with such a dodgy animation means that yea there are two directions is easy but blocking successfully when someone is feint a lot is easy said that done in a lot of cases.

I think the re-introduction of tap blocking and a small increase in turn speed would be nice, although this has all ready been discussed don Hekko's thread.

For me atleast (And me being a self proclaimed "Not ****ing terrible at the game"), the combat I get involved is devolves into a few things

One. Upstab over and over and over. It has more range, more chance to hit the head, and fairly easy to spam. It also apparently tends to glance less.

Two. No chambering. The melee animations are so alike, by the time you realize what they just did you already chose where you blocked. Native and MM was much easier to tell which way the bayonet was going for obvious reasons. Now it's a guessing game. I'm bad at guessing. So there goes throwing off your opponent, and blocking almost with it.

Three. Glancing or instakilling. I mean, I could pull off the same move over and over and it feels like it'd be 50/50 glance or instastab. Even with a ****ing shortsword against plate I could probably land an actual hit more than a bayonet against cloth.

Bayo melee is quite ****ed up cause of the upper stab - upper stab doesn't have real sweetspots, it'll do decent damage at 0 range if you're moving into your opponent (cause of constant head hits) and will only glance if you hit with the very end of the anim. It makes hell for everyone with ping over 60, because at 0 range you HAVE to block up constantly, if your block was in other direction and he feinted, overhead will pass thru your block (seems that blocking speed is lower than native, or I'm just imagining things). Yes, it's counterable but it gives unfair advantage to lower ping people (when I play with different ISP and lower ping, it's really easy to block those overhead feints at 0 range).
Also, guy 1 hitting people with overhead, while he's standing still and dude he's stabbing is moving backwards either means that overhead needs serious damage nerf or something with damage calculations is wrong.
As I said before, bayo vs bayo combat is horrible now, 2 almost identical attacks coupled with easily blockable chambers and range which makes kicking impractical just leads to duels in ending who gets bored first.
Also, swords need more speed (officer swords should have at least 97-99 speed not 93).

I think you may have over analyzed this...a lot.
Anyway, the fact is, melee is melee. There is nothing any of us can do about it, except recommend changes to the devs (which would be very annoying for them, as I'm sure they are busy enough as it is). An opinion is fine, as long as it isn't presented as a complaint, but rather as a constructive suggestion.

That being said, I'm sure there will be another thread identical to this one in the next few days.

I ain't going to get into discussion, just going to put in that just cause people disagree, does not mean they suck, as Evan pointed out, some of the best players from MM have disliked the melee, and some have liked it, but that alone is a simple thing of proving that it isn't cause we suck, I can still get really good scores, doesn't mean I like the melee though... derp

I totally agree with Oposum.

But if you chamber the upper stab with perfect timing the enemy will have no chance.

I have found something.

Poll 3:
How do you like the bayonet fighting attack directions?

Change upper swing into an upper stab    55 (44.7%)
Add side-swings            31 (25.2%)
Remove upper swing and have only stab    5 (4.1%)
Remove bayonet figthing completely    1 (0.8%)
Keep it as it is now          31 (25.2%)

Total Members Voted: 123

http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=184581.0

The Dev Team said: "It wasn´t our decision"
Was it the decision of the community?  :arrow:

Yes but noone knew how poor it would turn out. The WFaS animations are all a load of toot to be honest. I certainly didn't vote for any changes however.

I dont see "change upper swing into butt stab".
I would like to see that. As this is far more realistic bayo fighting technik. And will remove lots of problems we have right now.

What about a moral system? one that lets you stab but depends on how much moral you have like say the bar is full and the you upper stab which takes up half of it. and then you can down stab and take only 1/6 of the bar?

BetaKnight said:
What about a moral system? one that lets you stab but depends on how much moral you have like say the bar is full and the you upper stab which takes up half of it. and then you can down stab and take only 1/6 of the bar?

It's been discussed and rejected and rightly so. This isn't really an RPG. I want to experience the emotions of fear or bloodlust in the real world and not have my game telling me how I am feeling. I don't want my game telling me 'you've got too low morale to be able to fight as well as your opponent' when I actually want my fighting skills to determine whether I can face up to someone and for my real-life morale to have the true impact on the situation.

Back
Top Bottom