SP - General Medieval Weapons - More Types and More Versions

Users who are viewing this thread

We all want weapons right! This is for me and for others one of the best reason we play these kind of games!

What if we help TaleWorlds and the Moders to make a list with weapons in order to have a very clear goal about creating an amazing game?

I can start by posting this link with a site that list many medieval weapons and also with pictures.

If you have any ideas, or better and clearer categorizing list about all the weapons please post it here.

So there are of course types of weapons which are not yet in the game. I'm sure TW and/or the moders will expand the arsenal, but personally I expect more from TW, because they can balance better the vanilla and it will not be so confusing for us to install all kind of mods (I'm not talking about mega mods like LOTR etc) which are sometimes unbalanced and conflicting with others, etc.

So I see the Voulge in the game and tried it, but here is a large variety of hybrid polearm-spear-axe weapons.

Here's a short list.

Corseques
A corseque has a three-bladed head on a 6-8ft. (1.8m-2.5m)

Fauchards
A fauchard is a type of polearm used in medieval Europe from the 11th through the 14th centuries. The design consisted of a curved blade on top of a 6–7-foot long pole.

Glaives
A glaive is a polearm consisting of a single-edged tapering blade similar in shape to a modern kitchen knife on the end of a pole. The blade is fixed in a socket-shaft configuration similar to an axe head, both the blade and shaft varying in length. (180–210 cm) long

Guisarmes
A guisarme (gisarme, giserne or bisarme) was a pole weapon used in Europe between 1000–1400. It was used primarily to dismount knights and horsemen. Like most polearms it was developed by peasants by combining hand tools with long poles, in this case by putting a pruning hook onto a spear shaft.

Halberds
A halberd (or Swiss voulge) is a two-handed pole weapon that came to prominent use during the 14th and 15th centuries but has continued in use as a ceremonial weapon to the present day.
(I would like to see more of them, there are many shapes and forms)

Sparths
In the 13th century, variants on the Danish axe are seen. Described in English as a sparth (from the Old Norse sparðr) or pale-axe], the weapon featured a larger head with broader blade, the rearward part of the crescent sweeping up to contact (or even be attached to) the haft. Another development extended the forward part of the crescent.

Pollaxes
In the 14th century, the basic long axe began to evolve, gaining an armour piercing spike on the back and another on the end of the haft for thrusting. This evolved into the pollaxe of the following century.

Mauls
The maul is a long-handled hammer with a heavy metal head, either of lead or iron. It is similar in appearance and function to a modern sledgehammer but is sometimes shown as having a spear-like spike on the fore-end of the haft.

Becs de Corbin
A bec de corbin is a type of pole weapon that was popular in medieval Europe. The name is Old French for "crow's beak".

Arbalests
The arbalest (also arblast) was a late variation of the medieval European crossbow. A larger weapon, the arbalest had a steel prod ("bow"). Since an arbalest was much larger than earlier crossbows, and because of the greater tensile strength of steel, it had a greater force.
(these were used even by two men. One charged the weapon, the other one was holding a large shield to protect, because was taking long)

Flails
The military flail or simply flail is a weapon commonly attributed to the Middle-Ages but for which only a limited amount of historical evidence currently exists for most of this era.

Morning star
The morningstar is a medieval weapon consisting of a spiked club resembling a mace, usually with a long spike extending straight from the top and many smaller spikes around the particle of the head.

War Hammers
A war hammer is a late medieval weapon of war intended for close combat action, the design of which resembles the hammer.

I'd love to see some tweaks to already existing polearms, maybe some additions to the smithing system. As of now, I find it disappointing that I can build a long bladed hewing spear that can only stab, my hewing spear cannot hew. Maybe specify the difference between a polearm and a spear in-game to determine thrusting weapons vs multi-use slashing weapons? This could let players even make their own halberds by adding axe-head parts to spears or pikes.

Also, war-hammer heads would be a great addition, as they can range from the wooden mallet heads we already got in game to some finely crafted steel heads.

There are also some weapons which lack in versatility.
One single type of crossbow, two few 2H swords and 2H axes.

And the X key is quite confusing. There is no sign that tells you in what mode you are and the stats should be different for each mode.

For example, if you use a 2H sword with a shield in 1H mode, you would swing it slower than with 2 hands.

I think flails are not an option, something about the physics involved or something.

Of course. If the game would not be just a copy paste Warband with improved animations and graphics...

Flails would require better physics mechanics and animations. But probably not like in Exanima, because on 300 troops with flails will make your PC crack.

Mods for that. The native is early middleage.

No it's not. We have Crossbows.

We can have Pole Axes, Pole Hammers, Warhammers, Halberds.

The Bardiche was used in the late 14th century to 15th century.
The Voulge and Halberds were used since 14th century. Voulge is a Swiss halberd actually.

Last edited:

Of course. If the game would not be just a copy paste Warband with improved animations and graphics...

Flails would require better physics mechanics and animations. But probably not like in Exanima, because on 300 troops with flails will make your PC crack.

The Voulge and Halberds were used since 14th century. Voulge is a Swiss halberd actually.

Crossbows were in Europe by the 11th century or before. Fair point about bardiches and voulges, but would you rather be stuck with just spears? They are simple enough to be believable-ish weapons for 11th century. Voulges are just big sharp squares with spikes on them, and bardiches are basically just large axes. Pollaxes and halberds are much more complex designs. Also I really shouldn't have to say this, but can't you just wait for mods? If you like 15th century weapons wait for a 15th century mod. The weapon variety as it is is fine, although I think more Eastern weapons are in order as opposed to late Western ones.

Yes it is. The romans hace crossbows.
And all this weapons exist in the east.

Crossbows were in Europe by the 11th century or before. Fair point about bardiches and voulges, but would you rather be stuck with just spears? They are simple enough to be believable-ish weapons for 11th century. Voulges are just big sharp squares with spikes on them, and bardiches are basically just large axes. Pollaxes and halberds are much more complex designs. Also I really shouldn't have to say this, but can't you just wait for mods? If you like 15th century weapons wait for a 15th century mod. The weapon variety as it is is fine, although I think more Eastern weapons are in order as opposed to late Western ones.

I still don't understand it! We already have weapons from 15th century in the game! and I listed them above!
The game is not historically accurate! It's fictional!
Why are you so stubborn with your mods? Can't we expect from TW to make a better game in the first place?

This is incredible. The game lacks in items and you are against it!

Last edited:
I still don't understand it! We already have weapons from 15th century in the game! and I listed them above!
The game is not historically accurate! It's fictional!
Why are you so stubborn with your mods? Can't we expect from TW to make a better game in the first place?

This is incredible. The game lacks in items and you are against it!
There are far bigger issues than pollaxes and halberds at the moment. And it's just a matter of taste. Not everyone wants to see those weapons, and they wouldn't really fit for anyone but Vlandia.

Over half of the weapons mentioned by the OP are already ingame in some form, while the others are either so utterly unsuitable to the setting or hard to implement gameplay-wise that they aren't worth considering.

Yes, I see the smithing system is not synchronized with the Market.
We also have missing parts on some types of weapons. 2H blunt weapons can have all kind of heads like the war hammer head. Pole Hammers also. Or Pole Axes.

There are far bigger issues than pollaxes and halberds at the moment. And it's just a matter of taste. Not everyone wants to see those weapons, and they wouldn't really fit for anyone but Vlandia.

No, actually this is the bigger issue because it's linked with the progression of the game. In RPG's there must be a smooth progression until the end game and that depends also on itemization.
If you have a game with end game cheap items right from the beginning the whole immersion is ruined somehow.
The game must be balanced in order to make it a good experience and weapon's variations and tiers are very important.

Back
Top Bottom