In Progress Map Entity Limit

Users who are viewing this thread

Version number
Branch
Main
Modded/unmodded
Yes, I used mods.
Summary: I have a mod that alters the Main Map. It is perfectly functional. The game does not support entities past a given point, and will crash directly to desktop, without a report (Butterlib) or a crash dump popup (TW's). I know it is related to entity count, because after a certain point, this issue would 100% occur, regardless of what I added: both empty entities and fully functional fiefs (tested by reducing the limit beforehand, to make sure they werent a source of crashes) would crash it.

It cannot be debugged either by attached debuggers. This leads me to believe it is an engine-side, memory issue. I do not know the entity limit, but it is around 50K entities.

The crash does NOT happen on the editor, the editor is fine. It is triggered by starting or loading a game with a scene with too many entities.

How to Reproduce: Have a scene with over 50K entities. My current scene works, the xcene file contains 98341 instances of the word "game_entity". Considering most or all entities have an opening and closing statement with this text, that would be around 48K actual entities.
Have you used cheats and if so which:
Scene Name (if related):
Media (Screenshots & Video):
Computer Specs:
GPU: Nvidia Geforce RTX
GPU Driver Version:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz
RAM: 16GB
Motherboard:
Storage Device (HDD/SSD): SSD

Can we please get some attention to this, any modder looking to create new maps/worlds are going to run into this problem. This seriously impacts any modder looking to do this and will affect future modders looking to create large overhauls which we know are going to come. This issue continues in 1.2.8 and has not been fixed. Please fix the issue with the entity limit! Can we at least know if someone is looking into this or is aware of the issue?!?!?!

Could you send us your scene so that we can take a look? IT would be great if you could upload the files it would be great.
There are 2 folders located under the below paths with your scene name:
  • WOTS\Modules\SandBox\SceneObj
  • WOTS\Modules\SandBox\SceneEditData
Please RAR/ZIP the scene files and upload the RAR/ZIP file via the ticketing system. You can find more info about how to upload files to us with the new ticketing system here.

Could you send us your scene so that we can take a look? IT would be great if you could upload the files it would be great.
I have attempted to use the ticket mechanism. It says the max size of files is 100MB. SceneEditData weighs more than 500MB. I opened the ticket but only after removing SceneEditData as an uploaded file, otherwise it keeps loading without ever giving any result.

Just chiming in, I can confirm I had similar issues and reducing the number of entities solved the problem; that is not ideal though, as I had to completely ditch my approach (like using and altering settlements from vanilla to simple map icons so that I can place a large number of settlements).
This has been reported previously(link below), and the limit is supposed to be 512k entities according to the Devs, so I understand we're at 10% of what we should be having? Anyway, it would be great to have this fixed as it may severely compromise ongoing projects.

The Europe map cannot progress much from where it is, and its current lack of detail is comical. Please take a look at this problem.

Back
Top Bottom