Map Colors?

Users who are viewing this thread

TacKY

Banned
Im confused on how I am suppose to know the countries boundries and conquest gains if they are all the same color.

TacKY said:
Im confused on how I am suppose to know the countries boundries and conquest gains if they are all the same color.

Spanky chose to do it like this to put emphasis on heraldry.

You have 2 choices:

1 - leave it like this and just try to remember heraldry or simply hover the castle/town in question with the mouse.

2 - open module.ini and change the line that reads "show_faction_color = 0" to "show_faction_color = 1"

Thanks Galtran. TacKY, this is also in the readme by the way. Don't worry, the change is pretty simple. I'd encourage you to try in this mode first, though.

I've edited the title to this thread as a heads-up to others with the same question.

I like it meself, it forces you to be somewhat knowlegeable in the heraldry of Caldaria, unless : "who's that Lord with this banner ? Looks Swadian to me, let's go and salute this fellow brotHOLY **** THAT'S RAGNAR, RUN!"  :mrgreen:

who's that Lord with this banner ? Looks Swadian to me, let's go and salute this fellow brotHOLY **** THAT'S RAGNAR, RUN!" 

Yes! Creates an "interesting" situation....a bit like stumbling upon 20 searaiders in Tihr when your crew is all in the ambuwagon or hanging onto their ponies' manes at 30% health, and you thought it was safe to go shopping.  :shock:

Now all we need is some nice "Permadeath" like in "Brutality" and we have the recipe for some serious epic fails.  :twisted:

P.S. Heraldry was created for quick and easy friend/foe recognition in a predominately illiterate society (A bit like early pictorial shop signs).....Please post if you have trouble with it, we need the data to disprove evolutionary theory.

I like the lack of colours on the towns and castles. It makes the map seem more authenic.

Its great for the time period to when people saw a town belonging to a lord, and not a country

DaveDaDude said:
I like the lack of colours on the towns and castles. It makes the map seem more authenic.

Its great for the time period to when people saw a town belonging to a lord, and not a country

Did you read my mind just now??  Cos, I think the same way. And by moving the cursor over town/castle/village/lord you can see how is your relation with that particular faction. Neat!

I know for me I kinda missed the colors at first but got used to them.  Tehn I got erally annoyed that I couldn't tell the enemy armies apart unless I moused over them.  I ended up getting ambushed by an army I was trying to aid because I thought was friendly to me.  Realistic perhaps but It wasn't fun.  I like the idea of the heralds being important but the same nation seems to have lords with drastically differnt heraldr plus on teh world map the icons are too small to be easily recognizable as tehy are moving around.

I'm glad to see there is a way to turn the colors on.  This has been my favorite mod so far.

Inquizitor said:
I know for me I kinda missed the colors at first but got used to them.  Tehn I got erally annoyed that I couldn't tell the enemy armies apart unless I moused over them.  I ended up getting ambushed by an army I was trying to aid because I thought was friendly to me.  Realistic perhaps but It wasn't fun.  I like the idea of the heralds being important but the same nation seems to have lords with drastically differnt heraldr plus on teh world map the icons are too small to be easily recognizable as tehy are moving around.

I'm glad to see there is a way to turn the colors on.  This has been my favorite mod so far.

I grant that the other system is simpler and as you say, you can always turn it back the way it was. Just two points here: 1. You've got a pause button to give you time to mouse over that army, :smile: and believe me, after a while you won't need it. 2. Yes, that's the point about medieval heraldry. Within one kingdom, there was at first no such as thing as a national flag, only the king's banner. The banners of other lords might have entirely different colors and symbols from the king's. That said, if you look carefully you will see a difference in style between e.g. the Swadian and Khergit banners, and more subtly, between the Swadians' and the Northmen's.

Well I've been playing a game with the colors off.  I might go back the other way next game though.  I've kinda gotten to the point where I'm starting to get attached to specific lords in the game but even so who you are at war with is still an on or off proposition.  Is there a way to turn on the colors for towns but hide the colors for the armies that are roaming around?

I wouldn't know about that, sorry. The color mode used in the mod is something Armagan put in there, all I did was activate it. I assume you are aware of the fact that the text is red, as opposed to green when you mouse over a town or army that is at war with you?

Yeah but I like to be able to tell at a glance or when zoomed out.  It's one thing to not know who's who until you can identify the heraldry.  It's another thing to not know who has lordship over a town, castle, what have you.  If it's a technical limitation then so be it.  I just wanted to throw that out there for your concideration.

I was playing today and I spotted that Lord Geir of the Northmen had the same banner as Sanjar Khan (they always have the same banners each game don't they?). It's the white crow/raven on a black background.

Back
Top Bottom