Map area and Points of Interest

Users who are viewing this thread

Hello Lord and Ladys,

bannerlord lives with his Great World of Calradia and creating you own Story, but to that, it would help to get more around it,
like Points of Interest or some named area on the Map, Dagger hill, Forest of " Insert Epic Name " or Mount Delinard. To get a bigger Immersion.
It could help for the quest desgin, too.

It does not have to written totaly big on the Map, but it would help if we can get a small Message on screen.

Maybe some Bard could sing in the Tavern about the Big Brutal battle between of Sturgia and Aserai on the Poros plateau.

how do you see that? Please leave a Comment. :grin:

Regards,

DP

If I am not mistaken, whenever you cross territories or reaches near a location, a small message says "you're near X castle" or something. So it is entirely plausible to just add these regions. However I find it unlikely they will add it into the game, but it surely seems like something doable in mods.

That said, I would love me some geographical regions and spots to be like "the famous crooked hill", or "brokeback cliff"... that sort of stuff. It gives "personality" to a place.

I would also like this sort of thing to be in Bannerlord, it adds a lot of what's know as 'environmental storytelling', i.e, storytelling through a game's environment with include meaning rather than explicit exposition. Games like Inside, Fallout, and especially the Soul series (I include Demon's Souls) do this really well. It just adds an extra feeling of depth to the world, and it's something I reckon should be added in Bannerlord. In previous games we learnt relatively very little about the actual land of Calradia and there were no places on the map that weren't settlements that we could actually see. It doesn't have to be places we can visit but I would like to see more character given to the world of Calradia.

There was also a similar thread in the past about this sort of thing in which I posted my thoughts which I shall quote now:

Lord Engineer said:
DAWUSS said:
IIRC the pre-Warband Calradia sorta had this feature:

https://sites.google.com/site/mbcharcreation/
It's been a looooooooong time since I last played the original Mount and Blade (which I'm going to have to change) but I don't remember any, canon, references to geographical locations.

The site you linked shows a map originally made by 13 Spider Bloody Chain, the map was originally posted as an accompaniment to a larger post in The Duck & Spackle Tavern. AKA where players post their own stories.

This particular post advertises itself as A Traveller's Guide to Calradia.

An interesting read if I do say so myself, but not canon: At least I don't think it was officially recognised as canon, though the quality is probably good enough. A real pity it was never finished, but I can understand why. It did seem like a lot of work. It wasn't perfect but it was entertaining.
(I'm going to use spoilers to make it more like a book and then post that here at a later time)

It would be pretty cool to have something like this is Warband or Bannerlord, officially or unofficially, though you could argue that the dev blogs already fill at least part of this role. And yes I realise the Encyclopedia is similar in concept to a Traveller's guide but a Traveller's guide is more personalised and generally told from a first or second person perspective. It also delves into more specific subject matters.

Maybe someone could even make a compendium about the geography, history, and cultures of Bannerlord with all the information from the dev blogs. Not too sure how much of that information is still relevant though, the game is still in development and keeps undergoing changes (the faction banners are a good example of this).

Warning: Very Optimistic
It would be pretty cool if a developer were to see this post, decides to get a map of Calradia and creates lots of unmarked locations that NPCs will reference and use for quests, each with their own little story that players can learn over time or many playthroughs, and puts that in the game.
Anyway back to the topic at hand. I reckon having named geographical points in Bannerlord is a good way to add extra lore (my personal favourite) to the world of Calradia, and provide a layer of history and environmental storytelling. For example in Warband Matheld mentions one of the very few unmarked locations 'Gundig's point' where Gundig Hairy-Breeks, a Nord leader from the past, intiated his ill-fated conquest of all of Calradia. This isn't anything major but gives history to the land of Calradia.

In Bannerlord we could have places like 'Tyrant Hill' where the ancient hero Calradoi Echerion killed the tyrant king Cypegos or 'Wilund's grotto' the final resting place of the Vlandian warlord Wilund the Bold whose Calradic name the Vlandians are named after.

I agree with what @HUMMAN said in the OP. It would also be nice if large landscapes or geographical features had names: the deserts are named, mountains/mountain ranges have names, rivers and lakes too. Settlements sharing names, or derivative names, and vice versa would also be a good feature.
Edit: If they do make a Nord Invasion DLC for Bannerlord, then I can't wait to see totally-not-Ragnar-Lodbrok, Lodbrok translates into Shaggy Breeches by the way, also known as Gundig Hairy-Breeks.

yeah few interesting points would be immersive, also special battles scenes for these 5-6 points would be cool. You would remember oh i fought in this weird pass, oh i remember capturing the sturgian lord near this lake etc.

monoolho said:
If I am not mistaken, whenever you cross territories or reaches near a location, a small message says "you're near X castle" or something. So it is entirely plausible to just add these regions. However I find it unlikely they will add it into the game, but it surely seems like something doable in mods.

That said, I would love me some geographical regions and spots to be like "the famous crooked hill", or "brokeback cliff"... that sort of stuff. It gives "personality" to a place.

I can picture it now.... Jake Gyllenhaal's infamous raiders staring down at you from Brokeback Cliff.  Jake, their leader, saying, "I wish I could quit this immoral life of raiding and pillaging!"

Phalnax811 said:
I can picture it now.... Jake Gyllenhaal's infamous raiders staring down at you from Brokeback Cliff.  Jake, their leader, saying, "I wish I could quit this immoral life of raiding and pillaging!"

And every pillaging and raiding season you go with Jake to the cliff, to... raid and pillage... invade some caves and do some stabbing with pikes and spears...

In an attempt to stay more on topic...

Maybe there should be semi-historical points of interest that provide bonuses for owning, though some of them could be unique to factions.

So for example owning the city of Onira is a source of pride for whichever branch of the empire owns it and if an empire faction owns it they are seen as more legitimate by other factions. Basically a more politically based Jerusalem.

I know that is not a very good example, but I can't really think of any examples. Still I think that my idea could work, despite my inability to provide an ample quality, and quantity of examples.

Lord Engineer said:
In an attempt to stay more on topic...

Maybe there should be semi-historical points of interest that provide bonuses for owning, though some of them could be unique to factions.

So for example owning the city of Onira is a source of pride for whichever branch of the empire owns it and if an empire faction owns it they are seen as more legitimate by other factions. Basically a more politically based Jerusalem.

I know that is not a very good example, but I can't really think of any examples. Still I think that my idea could work, despite my inability to provide an amble quality, and quantity of examples.

This is a good idea! All factions could have some kind of faction capital and the clan in control of it would get a right to rule/influence bonus.

Regarding the topic, points of interest and geographic names would add a lot of immersion and also be useful for game play purposes. Why aren`t the forests named? Or the lakes and rivers? The largest mountain ranges and the most important passes should also be recognizable.

Like you know the quest where you have to hunt for a bandit hideout? It would be so much less frustrating if the quest giver sent you to Mirkwood (to use a lazy example) instead of "this area".

I think there was a thread on this same topic earlier and there were some pretty good ideas.

This is a feature I’d be hugely excited about. Some should be there at start of game others spawn when discovered while traveling or through quest dialogue. Not much else to add. Great suggestion! and something I have mentioned a few times elsewhere.

Overall I agree with this idea, but I need something more Calradian than Mount Delinard or Brokeback Cliff.

I'm not the author of this game so I wont embarrass myself the hazard to throw some ideas about, but I do like the idea. Forests, mountain ranges, rivers, that sort of thing would be cool to have names, maybe a particularly momentous site like a hill renown for valiant defenses, or a pass in the mountains. Especially when you run across battle sites.

I think something like they do in Total War games, where when you win a big battle they show a little spot on the map that says who fought, who won, how many, the date, etc. would be cool. Perhaps travelling past a famous site where you won would give your troops a morale buff, while a battle you lost would provide a debuff.

Roccoflipside said:
I think something like they do in Total War games, where when you win a big battle they show a little spot on the map that says who fought, who won, how many, the date, etc. would be cool. Perhaps travelling past a famous site where you won would give your troops a morale buff, while a battle you lost would provide a debuff.

This would be great! It would also be awesome to visit the battlefield and scavenge for loot. Maybe even speak with mourning widows bringing flowers or something. It would also be great if these sites could spawn for battles without the player, provided they are big enough.

Back
Top Bottom