Making your own Sake

Users who are viewing this thread

Hey, i actually did this, but i was wondering if it's going to work. so far, using these instructions (http://www.geocities.co.jp/Foodpia/1751/sake.html), i'm letting it ferment at the moment. It smells like cheap dimestore wine at the moment (the kind your grandparents seem to love) with a touch of rice, and it fizzes when stirred. I'm asking about this because i don't want to open up a pot two weeks latter and seeing green mold crawling up the base of the pot

yes, i know this is illigeal, but i regret nothing!

Just to clear something up - is it pronounced "seik" or "sah-kee"?

It shouldn't be illegal - just as brewing cider and wine isn't illegal.

^ I second that. Why drink various fermented grain when you can have fermented honey?

hmm, i know it's definatly against the law in Japan, but im in Canada. I actually thought that i could be charged with 'moonshining' (of course, im not making moonshine, i think it's a slang for home liquor). I guess it should be legal if i don't sell it

PS. the smell has gotten somewhat sweeter, just slightly. also, the rice is starting to vanish alltogether. what was once a solid similar to pudding is now a nigh liquid.

Jaghatai Khan said:
Where can I find some? Sounds nice.
Err... Find a recipe on the internet and make some. You need about 6 pounds of honey to make it work, but that shouldn't be a problem as (IIRC) there is plenty of honey in Turkey
TheDrunkenMoron said:
I guess it should be legal if i don't sell it
You could buy an off license license for consumption of goods off the premises.

Update- I think it MIGHT have gone sour for some reason, oddly enough. My guesses is that some 'lumps' are starting to rise out of it. on top of that, i found a small black 'thing' (i don't know what it was) inside it when i was stirring it. the smell of course, is starting to smell very slightly more sour then when it was first fermenting. I suppose the fermenting might be starting to actually work (it still is going to take a week and a half according to that) full time now.

If it is going sour, i'd like to know where i went wrong. i think that by not cleaning the egg beater that i use to stir it every day, i ****ed up quite bad (i must admit though, that is quite low), the rice on the beater might have gotten infected and then i stirred it. I can't see temperature being an issue, it's only about one degree colder in the basement, and it's only not covered in a pot when i stir it.

regardless, i'll keep watch on it!

We're making damson wine at the moment. It will be ready next year some time. If only there was some sort of SETA device in real life :mad:

You need to sterilize all the equiptment you use or it WILL (more than likely anyway) get infected! Same with beer, wine, all alchoholic beverages! I suggest you pay a small boy tu'pence to taste it and see if he goes blind! :mrgreen: Concerning legality I think it depends on % of the brew.

Hang on... isn't Sake distilled? Distillation of alcohol without alcohol is illegal! ZOMG HAX!111one :shock:

Back
Top Bottom