Making a good grenade particle effect?

Users who are viewing this thread

So, I have been in need of a good grenade explode effect for my mod for a long time. So, I finally decided to give it a shot. Well, I'm currently trying out stuff and I must say, I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm just playing around with stuff but I just can't really understand what each thing does. I tried reading the instructions at the start of the file, but didn't give much help. So, I'm asking you guys if you could help me make a good one, wich could also be shared for public here? Current one in my mod is kinda crap, as it's only a small puff of smoke. Nothing else.

The most important thing is a good mesh. You need it to be sized to avoid needing massive amounts of particles but not so large that it looks bad.

Actually, why don't you give me what you have and I will try to improve it later today.

I don't really have nothing currently. I mean that I did a few test ones just to see what each change does, but nothing serious. Cant I just use the default native default meshes? There quite good me thinks. I just cant understand all the stuff on the particle scripts.

It seems pretty straightforward to me.

This is how I understand the particle system:
psf_always_emit = constantly creates particles
psf_global_emit_dir = creates particles based on the global position if this is no there it uses a local position
psf_emit_at_water_level = creates particles on the surface of water
psf_billboard_2d = particle effect that appears in 2d on your screen without depth(used for rain)
psf_billboard_3d = particle effect based on a 3d position
psf_billboard_drop = not sure what this does
psf_turn_to_velocity = rotates the particles based on velocity
psf_randomize_rotation = what it says
psf_randomize_size = not sure if this is size of particles or emit_box
psf_2d_turbulance = use this with psf_billboard_2d to create movement
    ("pistol_smoke", psf_billboard_3d, "prtcl_dust_a",
    90, = how many particles are produced per second (overridden by some operations)
    2.5, = how many seconds the particles last (overridden by some operations)
    0.6, = how much friction slows particles down
    -0.2, = how fast particles will fall to the ground (negative has opposite effect)
    60.0, = amount of wind to affect particles
    1.5, = speed of wind that affects particles
    (0.0, 0.75), (1, 0),  = the visibility of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.0, 0.7), (1, 0.4),  = the redness of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.0, 0.7),(1, 0.4), = the greenness of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.0, 0.7), (1, 0.4), = the blueness of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0, 1.5),  (0.5, 11.0), = the size of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.1, 0.1, 0.1), = determines the size (x, y, z) of the area that particles are created from
    (2, 2, 0), = determines the speed that particles are shot out in the (x, y, z) directions
    0.1 = how much to randomize the direction that particles are facing
    ),

mr.master said:
I don't really have nothing currently. I mean that I did a few test ones just to see what each change does, but nothing serious. Cant I just use the default native default meshes? There quite good me thinks. I just cant understand all the stuff on the particle scripts.

If you want quality results make your own meshes. I prefer to make my own library of particles with simple alpha-blended colors, and later combine them in a subtle way.
For example. In SWC I'm using the same
Code:
256x256px
particle + mesh for the planet icon atmospheres, ships engines, sunflares, muzzle flashes,... using subexposition blending.

It requires some basic notions of shading and a bit of patience. You're retouching the parameters blind after all.  :razz:

At least the Source modders have real-time previews... We have to close the game, save, recompile, restart... Ouch!, the
Code:
{Z}
is off: -1.638... And again.
But I'm pretty happy with the results at the end.

ithilienranger said:
It seems pretty straightforward to me.

This is how I understand the particle system:
psf_always_emit = constantly creates particles
psf_global_emit_dir = creates particles based on the global position if this is no there it uses a local position
psf_emit_at_water_level = creates particles on the surface of water
psf_billboard_2d = particle effect that appears in 2d on your screen without depth(used for rain)
psf_billboard_3d = particle effect based on a 3d position
psf_billboard_drop = not sure what this does
psf_turn_to_velocity = rotates the particles based on velocity
psf_randomize_rotation = what it says
psf_randomize_size = not sure if this is size of particles or emit_box
psf_2d_turbulance = use this with psf_billboard_2d to create movement
    ("pistol_smoke", psf_billboard_3d, "prtcl_dust_a",
    90, = how many particles are produced per second (overridden by some operations)
    2.5, = how many seconds the particles last (overridden by some operations)
    0.6, = how much friction slows particles down
    -0.2, = how fast particles will fall to the ground (negative has opposite effect)
    60.0, = amount of wind to affect particles
    1.5, = speed of wind that affects particles
    (0.0, 0.75), (1, 0),  = the visibility of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.0, 0.7), (1, 0.4),  = the redness of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.0, 0.7),(1, 0.4), = the greenness of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.0, 0.7), (1, 0.4), = the blueness of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0, 1.5),  (0.5, 11.0), = the size of the particles at the start and end frames
    (0.1, 0.1, 0.1), = determines the size (x, y, z) of the area that particles are created from
    (2, 2, 0), = determines the speed that particles are shot out in the (x, y, z) directions
    0.1 = how much to randomize the direction that particles are facing
    ),

We'll have to make another section in the Command Database for that... :wink:

How does those effects working? I mean, how to put them in? I was trying to make a cool muzzle flash for my rifle but i failed...

I think, its time for a particle tutorial :neutral:

SergeantOG said:
How does those effects working? I mean, how to put them in? I was trying to make a cool muzzle flash for my rifle but i failed...

I think, its time for a particle tutorial :neutral:
I tried to do the same thing, but I can't create the needed meshes. If I had the right mesh, I could make a muzzle flash.

Back
Top Bottom