SP - Player, NPCs & Troops Make smithing not a skill just a feature

Users who are viewing this thread

Because

Sergeant
Smithing as a skill doesn't fit in well with the rest of the game because

1: it slows it down due to all the waiting to regain stamina (especially with the speed factions can be wiped out currently)
2: it breaks the economy with some of the over priced weapons, but would be an even more painful grind if it didn't turn a profit
3: it clogs towns and shops with cast off crafted weapons that were created just to level to unlock parts and gain SP in a skill
4: it is an odd thing for a lord and retinue to be doing
5: it is entirely random if you will ever get the parts you need so it's a skill that might never let you build what you want to.
6: it is either a long winded way of getting things you could just buy or a long winded way to get the best weapons in the game for you and your companions
7: it slows you down literally lugging all of the crafting components around
8: by not including armour, shields, arrows, ranged weapons or horse armour it has limited value in and of itself to some play styles
9: to level a character up you need to try and utilise all skills and so it feels like you are dragged into it just to get the SP needed to get a focus point in a skill you do want.

I do think that the idea of building custom weapons though is cool, it's just having it take up a skill slot and all the accompanying grind that doesn't work. You create so much rubbish on the way to that cool sword that the process becomes a chore rather than doing something interesting to get a great item. It would be much better if it was either
A: You could use the interface to commission the exact weapon that you want in towns (which I think would be the best as you would only use it on something that really mattered.
B: It was just done when you got enough parts to build something. Parts would be rare, but could be acquired through loot or shops and if you didn't want a part it could be smelted down to raw materials (at an unfavourable exchange rate) so that you could always build whatever you wanted if you had the patience.
Either of the above solutions would make the crafting process more of a special treat and a use for all your cash rather than an extra chore to do.

Just my thoughts, but there is a poll
That gives you a bit of wider feeling on the subject

More than this, I would say hold off on it completely unless you can outfit your troops as well.
A system designed for only you and your companions, when there are 3000 unit battles to fight is just a dumb investment

^ IF it stays a skill, the only thing that would make it worthwhile is if you could benefit your troops with your crafts, or perks somehow.

I was going to make similar feedback, but less extreme. After all, medieval nobles might partake in crafting, but most of the time they would be paying other people to make their stuffs.

My proposition is Smithing can stay (but need a lot of fixing, it's broken), and ADD crafting commission in exchange for money, so that the people who hate crafting or have ****luck with discovery can still get what they want.

For weapons, we can reuse the current Smithing interface, with an added Weaponsmith alongside your character and companions. Self-crafted costs stamina/time/material and need discovery, while commission only costs money and the Weaponsmith already know many if not all of the recipes and have very high skill. We can even divide the smiths by culture, so Vlandian smiths know all Vlandian recipes + some others, etc..

Better yet, we need ARMOR COMMISSION, which is just a fancy way of saying we need a way to order the exact armor we want, instead of relying on shop RNG. Go to friendly towns, talk to armorsmith, select a piece of armor we want, pay money, wait sometime and receive it. That's it! Perfectly logical and immersive way of acquiring gears!

Back
Top Bottom