Main Thread - 3.0 released!

Users who are viewing this thread

jacobhinds said:
KhivalrousBear said:
Hey, what about adding a low-pitched breathing when soldiers are walking/running? It would add pretty much immersion you know, and screaming perhaps?
EDIT: And spear bracing perhaps?? i saw your videos and the pikemen doesn't do pretty well i guess.. I guess :neutral: Just a suggestion you know

sounds made while moving are hardcoded unfortunately. and I'm not a fan of spear bracing - it feels cheaty and means that cavalry can be wiped out in seconds by pikes. I actually nerfed couched lancing because of how cheaty it feels to me.
but not too much - i.e. if you couch a guy in full chainmail with a normal cheap lance, you'll take about half his health off. believe it or not this is realistic, because couched lancing can only deliver as much force as the arm/shoulder holding the lance. there are written records of people surviving couched lanced at full speed and surviving with hardly a scratch. in real life, if it happens that you significantly penetrate metal with a lance like in native, the chances are you've broken your arm.
however if you're at full strength, have a fast horse and a good lance, you can 1hit the majority of troops in the mod. on the other hand, if you have decent-ish armour on (30 defense), you can take a lance from almost anyone.
anyway, in that video you're seeing some of the worst pikemen in the game go up against a much larger than normal detachment of the best cavalry. in most situations cavalry can only win against pikemen if it's 1:1, which almost never happens outside of custom battles.
Ahh okay then, it's reasonable :mrgreen:

This mod is looking pretty interesting. Even more as factions doesn't seem to be all 'jacks-of-all-trades' which, unfortunately, happens with many mods. I will surely be looking forward to its release.

Have you ever thought of adding a faction which is basically your own spin on the Tsardom of Russia/Grand Duchy of Moscow?

Sayazn and the provinces seem to me like a Fantasy-Counterpart Ottoman Empire, and it would be cool to see them face off against something resembling one of their traditional rivals.

I've got a psuedo-safavid thing going but as i said i wanted to keep as far from history as possible. If you ignore the fezzes the mainly faction is probably more like 1750s austria pr something.
Anyway I've finished all the factions and uniforms and the remaining work is strictly coding and scening :smile:

Captured Joe said:
Kadoken said:
Sayazn and the provinces seem to me like a Fantasy-Counterpart Ottoman Empire, and it would be cool to see them face off against something resembling one of their traditional rivals.
What about Persia? Or Egypt? Or Wallachia? :razz:

Well, I did say "one".

Edit: How does one pronounce the title? "Saiy-Yaz-in"? "Sah-Yahz-in"?

Kadoken said:
Captured Joe said:
Kadoken said:
What about Persia? Or Egypt? Or Wallachia? :razz:

Well, I did say "one".

Edit: How does one pronounce the title? "Saiy-Yaz-in"? "Sah-Yahz-in"?

*prepares to expose dweebiness*

All the names in the game are based off a complete language i invented a couple of years ago. I use it for stuff like personal notes and reminders. There a even a few stupid injokes in there that i put in when i was tired. Either way it was a good exercise in worldbuilding because unless you want a carbon copy of English, you have to think about what the emphases of the culture are. For example there are a lot of past tenses, indicating that people talk about history enough that they need a separate tense for that.

It's pronounced "SYA-zn" with the first vowel unvoiced.

mike56 said:
Any ideas about the release date?
Can't you make another beta version like the one you mad time ago?

I'm refraining from releasing it because I'm very close to completion (most scenes done, only a few minor but frustrating issues to clean up), and i feel it'd be a waste of everyone's time to release it this early when i know for myself what the bugs are.
At the end of the month I'm going to be away for a while (3-4 weeks) though, so if I've fixed the annoying stuff by then I'll release it, then hotfix it when i come back. I'll have no internet out there so feel free to spam the page with questions and bug reports etc.

jacobhinds, how will be your take on firearms(slow/fast reloading, accurate/inaccurate, damaging/not-as-damaging)? As with too many mods, I feel like firearms end up being inferior to bows, mainly due to horrible accuracy.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, you mentioned that some factions will rely on using swarm infantry with poor morale, while others will have highly professional armies that are slow to train and expensive. To further simulate that, will you edit how many 'slots' (if that is even possible to mod) certain troops take on the party size? Example: a highly professional cavalry unit taking 4 party slots instead of the usual 1.

And I'm really looking forward to sieges that doesn't consist on going up ladders and swinging melee weapons wildly, hahahaha.

Wow... jacob this is simply amazing. Simply some of the best modding work I've ever seen in my life. The amount of detail alone is... amazing.

I hope this does release soon, and I wish you all the luck possible.

Maximilionarie said:
jacobhinds, how will be your take on firearms(slow/fast reloading, accurate/inaccurate, damaging/not-as-damaging)? As with too many mods, I feel like firearms end up being inferior to bows, mainly due to horrible accuracy.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, you mentioned that some factions will rely on using swarm infantry with poor morale, while others will have highly professional armies that are slow to train and expensive. To further simulate that, will you edit how many 'slots' (if that is even possible to mod) certain troops take on the party size? Example: a highly professional cavalry unit taking 4 party slots instead of the usual 1.

And I'm really looking forward to sieges that doesn't consist on going up ladders and swinging melee weapons wildly, hahahaha.

Firearms differ quite a lot, and some of the higher tier (and late game, but thats spoiler territory) musketmen have almost triple the effective range of some of the out-of-the-village ones. It's (i hope) balanced at this point, so that you get what you pay for in terms of firing range and accuracy. Even so, you'll still need a large number of them regardless of skill if you want them to turn the tide of a battle.

Regarding bows, even the worst muskets outrange bows by enough that bow factions can't just engage in a line shootout with you. The range is also such that on flat terrain, a musket line will usually defeat an infantry line of equal size if they start far apart.

Regarding damage, you can quite easily kill an unarmoured man at point blank, but horses or soldiers wearing almost anything will take 2-3 shots. This means that cavalry don't get mowed down, and you won't get 360noscoped from across the map because bullets slow down by quite a lot at distance.

Regarding reloading, it takes about 10 seconds (maybe more) to reload. I was cosidering making it more, but then it makes then a one-shot deal in most battles, especially since  the ai tends to shoot at the beginning of a battle regardless of how unlikely they are to hit anything. Musket skill tends not tp affect this time much, with the main advantage of higher tier soldiers being their better morale and equipment.

The idea about slots is interesting, but there are a ton of codes that count the number of men in an army and i don't want to mess with them because of their dependencies. What I've done instead is changed the "ideal party size" of each faction, so that some factions will stop recruiting after a certain amount.

did a bit of messing around with polished landscapes as i thought it was a little bit dark. any thoughts?

x2D5E.jpg
31scT.jpg

The unique langauge thing is really cool actually, wow. So you use that in your day to day life? And about the guns, I'm a tad worried/curious. A muzzloading flintlock should reload at the same rate really no matter if its "fancy" or not.

spyczech said:
The unique langauge thing is really cool actually, wow. So you use that in your day to day life?

Every now and again, or if i need to write a reminder that nobody else can read. It's incredibly useful actually.

spyczech said:
And about the guns, I'm a tad worried/curious. A muzzloading flintlock should reload at the same rate really no matter if its "fancy" or not.

They do - i was testing it today. There's a couple of seconds between the highest and lowest skill levels, and there are rifle type weapons that take around 4 seconds longer than normal ones.

What are party sizes going to be like?  I've been playing some mods that increase the base size and bonuses from leadership and renown, and it's really nice to be able to field armies without having to spend all your stat points on charisma.

Back
Top Bottom