M&B Wow Mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Lumos said:
But if I sent them an email describing that I'd like to use their music in a video game mod, not making money out of it, and they said "Yes, please send us the final version", will this be IP theft? Note that I forgot to mention that I'll distribute the mod.

If by distribute you mean sell, then yes. Otherwise I believe it wouldn't, since you asked for permission and permission was given. Can't give you a definite answer as there's information lacking here.

Too many variables to say. Their license, the way the permission is worded, whether or not the person you're talking to even has the authority, where both of you live, et cetera, et cetera.

It's generally a good idea to just make your own materials or take materials that have a completely open license.

He is not making a profit from it, neither is he causing harm to blizzard in any way. I'm pretty sure that if it would come to a juridic struggle he would be found unguilty or at least come of from it really easy.
Big corps look at the money, they wont lose any with this, so sueing is costlier than the mod is, ergo: he is left in peace :wink:

Janlulhannes said:
He is not making a profit from it, neither is he causing harm to blizzard in any way. I'm pretty sure that if it would come to a juridic struggle he would be found unguilty or at least come of from it really easy.
Big corps look at the money, they wont lose any with this, so sueing is costlier than the mod is, ergo: he is left in peace :wink:

If only that were true, a cease and desist is a pain in the ass. Doesn't matter though, a WoW mod isn't going to be made anyways.

Galtran said:
I believe that on the mod you mentioned they made the models and such, simply using Starcraft as inspiration. Blizzard owns the IP for Starcraft, so they made Starcraft related stuff, which is plagiarism. qlithe simply took the models from WoW, stating their origin, and put them into M&B, that's IP Theft.

Actually, since they gave credit, it wouldn't be plagiarism; but instead it falls under derivative works, as does this mod (as well as blatant copying of existing models). Regulation of derivative works are a right reserved to property right owners, and I believe Blizzard are very strict with derivative works.

Either way I think it would be cool to see some wow models crashing into each other via m&b engine.

I think what you may run into is  problems distributing the models since they are not your IP. If you made your own that sorta look like wow models / textures, I believe that is 'safe'.

What you could do is do all the scripting work and distribute the mod minus the models, then leave instructions how to extract the models from your own copy of wow for people to finalize it if you wanted to be 100% safe. Honestly if you own wow already then you have purchased that IP and can use it how you see fit... though actually right now the glider vs blizz case is raging whether or not you are actually licensing software from them when you purchase it, and do not own it at all, which in my mind would be pure insanity.

So... could you do this mod then youtube a video of a m&b battle with them all please? Thanks :smile:

Reapy said:
Honestly if you own wow already then you have purchased that IP and can use it how you see fit...

No. Definitively no.
I read the terms and contracts this afternoon and they do not accept any copy / alteration / modification of their games, all contained confused (sounds, models, visual, concept art, etc. ...). In addition, we can not even write a novel about the world blizzard.

I find it very stupid, but it is their right.

And I personally do not see what they could do against someone who is a module, anonymously, by taking the direct content of WOW. I'd really like to play a real alternative to Warband ... I would like to see the real races and classes derived from Warhammer, Lord of the Rings or blizzard in this case, even though I've never played WOW.

Emfromkraland said:
Reapy said:
Honestly if you own wow already then you have purchased that IP and can use it how you see fit...

No. Definitively no.
I read the terms and contracts this afternoon and they do not accept any copy / alteration / modification of their games, all contained confused (sounds, models, visual, concept art, etc. ...). In addition, we can not even write a novel about the world blizzard.

I find it very stupid, but it is their right.

And I personally do not see what they could do against someone who is a module, anonymously, by taking the direct content of WOW. I'd really like to play a real alternative to Warband ... I would like to see the real races and classes derived from Warhammer, Lord of the Rings or blizzard in this case, even though I've never played WOW.

They could say "Taleworlds, what the hell are you doing letting these criminals run rampant on your forums? SHUT THEM DOWN!" and of course Taleworlds would comply(since they're legally right, it would be dumb on taleworld's part not to comply) and most likely have to ban all involved in this.

Emfromkraland said:
Galtran said:
They could say "Taleworlds, what the hell are you doing letting these criminals run rampant on your forums?

I don't think so. The author have just to move on a personnal forum.  :mrgreen:

Then they could contact the forum provider with the mesage ""[Forum provider name here], what the hell are you doing letting these criminals run rampant on your forums? SHUT THEM DOWN!"

Blizzard could easily sue Taleworlds if this thread keeps on this forum, that's why most of the M&B based on a copyrighted work other's than Taleworld is being moved to other forums.

Besides, I woulnd't play, I hate WoW flashy fancy fantasious aesthetics.

Guys... You seriously need to relax, Blizzard is not going to sue whole ****ing taleworlds for a thread about a possible WoW mod. I ran my own World of Warcraft server with website and ****, blizz never knocked on my door. Truth is: They wont do anything unless you make a considerable profit from it.

I liken mod tools, mod chips, etc etc to a gun. They are a tool, it is legal to own a gun, it is illegal to shoot someone. The same with my original moded xbox, it made the best media server ever. The second I download a game I don't own and play it, I've committed a copy right violation, but until then, all I've done is mod hardware that I own.

Also, a lot of times EULA's and liscenings agreements and all sorts of things that you sign, may not actually uphold in court (if you've got the cash to prove otherwise). Sort of like in CA I see game developers sort of laugh at non compete clauses they sign since basically you couldn't hold someone to them, since they basically tell a person they will have be unemployed after leaving the company they signed it with, you just cant force a person to do that.

But anyway, Janlulhannes has the spirit of it right there. Look at all the mods out there, every game has like a star wars mod, a lord of the rings mod, a battlestar galatica mod, a warhammer mod, whatever. Only in EXTREMELY rare cases do mod creators have company permission to create the things they do with their IP.

Finally, in terms of derivative works and blizard themself, look at their stuff! Warcraft and Starcraft are disgustingly obviously copies of gamesworkshop's warhammer fantasy and warhammer 40k, everything down to the art style even! It now has a life of its own in bliz world, and there are enough 'differences' but yeah, its pretty much pound for pound imitation of it.

So use that as an example of derivative works and whats 'safe'.

Anyyyway, just go on making what you want to make, post it all over the internet, and that'll be the end of it :smile:

Janlulhannes said:
Guys... You seriously need to relax, Blizzard is not going to sue whole ****ing taleworlds for a thread about a possible WoW mod. I ran my own World of Warcraft server with website and ****, blizz never knocked on my door. Truth is: They wont do anything unless you make a considerable profit from it.

they wont sue you because they have nothing to gain from you...

Whether or not they'll sue is a trite conversation, there will not be a WoW mod, because anyone with the module system capabilities to actually pull it off, has no interest.

Austupaio said:
Whether or not they'll sue is a trite conversation, there will not be a WoW mod, because anyone with the module system capabilities to actually pull it off, has no interest.

Well the op seems pretty keen, and at least competent enough to get the models in game and learn whatever else is necessary. All you have to do is download crpg mod and customise it so that it replaces the default models with your ripped resources (since crpg doesn't change anything of this sort so you can make the changes to native then swap a few text files). Hey presto, an almost perfect m&b wow clone using only the techniques just demonstrated!

Cool, you've got vanilla M&B with some models. That's just like WoW.

I know no one will miss the monsters or magic or having different races or anything.

Whoah, steady on. Just do what you can and you can see about those things later. M&B modding is very easy, but also very rigid in what it allows you to do, so it's best to just look at what tools you have and work from there.

Austupaio said:
I know no one will miss the monsters or magic or having different races or anything.
Who said that? Fantasy mod was awesome. What's the idea behind modding if you keep it as realistic as native?
I'd like to see a WoW mod for one...

Back
Top Bottom