M&B and Multiplayer Discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quantity is both irrelevant and impossible to measure in this case. What matters is that computers can handle split screen, and that one should be able to play M&B with a gamepad.

I played Heroes of Might and Magic hotseat for quite some time.  Also, Silent Storm hotseat.  You're right, its not that popular because the control schemes tend to be a bit awkward.  Besides, why get close to somebody when you could each play on your own computer, sitting much more comfortably?"  Multi-user games were killed by the advent of internet, certainly not by graphics concerns. 

Merentha said:
I played Heroes of Might and Magic hotseat for quite some time.  Also, Silent Storm hotseat.  You're right, its not that popular because the control schemes tend to be a bit awkward.  Besides, why get close to somebody when you could each play on your own computer, sitting much more comfortably?"  Multi-user games were killed by the advent of internet, certainly not by graphics concerns. 
Well i'm thinking more of the lesser computer users. But yes, thats what i meant when i said multi user games died off in the DOS era

DamienZharkoff said:
Merentha said:
Well i'm thinking more of the lesser computer users. But yes, thats what i meant when i said multi user games died off in the DOS era
Oh?
DamienZharkoff said:
Pii100 said:
I meant more like on same computer, e.g if you somehow manage to get another mouse connected, or other plays with keyboard and other with gamepad.
Is that possible?
to much stress on your average computer, games like that went out in the DOS Era (Only ones that still do that are SNES and gameboy Emulators)
Then what the **** is this?

edit:  I'm done. 

WTF is that? Thats saying that right now the average gamer who downloads to play games tends to work on a budget, therefore not always having access to top line computers. So playing the game on multi screen with the setup it has now would be death to them
(Imagine two diffrent battles of diffrent troops, and diffrent sizes on one comp being played at once)

To elaborate

Open the game up twice, get into two big battles, and see how quickly your PC smacks you for abuse

Point is, there wouldn't be a need for 2 seperate battles. What else would you need multiplayer for if you aren't going to see eachother ingame? :roll:

You also assume that we're talking strictly about regular battles. I think most players would be content with any kind of multiplayer - be it arena or big battles; Lan, split-screen or ISDN.

Raz said:
Point is, there wouldn't be a need for 2 seperate battles. What else would you need multiplayer for if you aren't going to see eachother ingame? :roll:

You also assume that we're talking strictly about regular battles. I think most players would be content with any kind of multiplayer - be it arena or big battles; Lan, split-screen or ISDN.
Well split screen, there wouldn't be much call for. LAN play though would work excelently.
(But honestly, whose gonna take much excitement with their buddy after the first few arena fights? Arena only would be neat over lan, but for split screen, wouldn't be worth the coding effort)

DamienZharkoff said:
Open the game up twice, get into two big battles, and see how quickly your PC smacks you for abuse
Doesn't drop so much as a single fps. Benefit of multiple cores :razz:

Thing is, you wouldn't be running two games on the same machine would you? You'd be running one instance of the game with the screen split so it's rendering two separate views. Given that the game renders the entire battlefield already regardless of whether the player can see it or not the additional load would come purely from processing the extra input, which isn't exactly demanding.

Archonsod said:
DamienZharkoff said:
Doesn't drop so much as a single fps. Benefit of multiple cores :razz:

Thing is, you wouldn't be running two games on the same machine would you? You'd be running one instance of the game with the screen split so it's rendering two separate views. Given that the game renders the entire battlefield already regardless of whether the player can see it or not the additional load would come purely from processing the extra input, which isn't exactly demanding.
Well that is true but.. Ain't that much fun if you can't go your seperate ways on split screen (Anyone remember good ol' medal of honor, rising sun, or Halo 1-2 Co-Op where if you seperated, you got teleported back to the other player?)

I was speaking more of, two players running on the map seperetly doing their own thing

But yes I do see your point for split screen SAME battle scenarios

i dont know if its a huge task to add LAN possibilities, but its all i could ask for. the game is already great, and some of the mods are pretty cool. LAN would just be the icing on the cake, and what kinda cake doesn't have icing...

CaiGuy said:
i dont know if its a huge task to add LAN possibilities, but its all i could ask for. the game is already great, and some of the mods are pretty cool. LAN would just be the icing on the cake, and what kinda cake doesn't have icing...
CheeseCake, New York style

Err... I've thought of an easy kind of multi-player-ish. Basically, you get a bunch of random letters for your character "3683-GUTY-R58J" or whichever, and people post it online. Then other people copy the code into a "Import Multi-player" thing, or whatever you want to call it. After that, the hero there'll will be in the game as an NPC. He'll do Hero-stuff, rather than Lord-stuff.

I know it isn't very good, but it's the closest I can think of to multi-player without something hugely difficult I don't even understand.

Conners said:
Err... I've thought of an easy kind of multi-player-ish. Basically, you get a bunch of random letters for your character "3683-GUTY-R58J" or whichever, and people post it online. Then other people copy the code into a "Import Multi-player" thing, or whatever you want to call it. After that, the hero there'll will be in the game as an NPC. He'll do Hero-stuff, rather than Lord-stuff.

I know it isn't very good, but it's the closest I can think of to multi-player without something hugely difficult I don't even understand.
I actually fully support that idea, would be awesome if they also allowed you to make heroes lords (Therefore having your friends hero work under you  and vice versa)

hi, i am new to the forum
and i also request a LAN function add simple things like fighting eachother in the arena

next to the awlready awsome SP
a LAN combined with hamachi would make this game SUPER awsome
i recon thad it would take about a week of scripting becouse you can use things you already have made, models scipts textures everything

if the development team just PLEASE add some sort of lan it would mean you would please SO MANY players
remember, without the players there would not be any income of selling the game,
customer is king
and the king requests a multiplayer

GonZ said:
I don't think it's that people don't "want" a multiplayer... I suspect that the majority would really enjoy it (and deep down inside even the likes of Orion really want it).

The harsh reality is that we're going to have to wait for M&B2.

ive read many times now "wait for M&B2.
WHY MAKE M&B2 IF M&B1 IS ALRIGHT!
its like you 'need' an M&B 2

why wait for an multiplayer in M&B if it is posible to put it in M&B 2

or do i miss something and is M&B 2 an acual heavy weight game made by a renown producer?

Heres a tip:Rather then concintrating on new things why dont you work on what you have?I say this because ive encountered alot of **** that needs fixing and i suggest implenting multiplayer when you have bugs worked out so that other cant cheat with bugs and stuff.

Mr.Fuzzy said:
Heres a tip:Rather then concintrating on new things why dont you work on what you have?I say this because ive encountered alot of **** that needs fixing and i suggest implenting multiplayer when you have bugs worked out so that other cant cheat with bugs and stuff.

That's exactly what the developers are doing right now. The main point of .95x-1.00 is to clean up the game before a commercial release. And they aren't working on multiplayer at all because they would have to redevelop M&B from the start to do so.

Twistedbro said:
ive read many times now "wait for M&B2.
WHY MAKE M&B2 IF M&B1 IS ALRIGHT!
its like you 'need' an M&B 2
Because you would need to effectively recode the entire engine to get the combat working right. At this stage, it's far too late to do so.

Alright. This game is the best (YES, THE BEST) game I ever played. But with multiplayer, it would be like 1000x more popular!!! Anyways, guess I gotta stick to singleplayer, cuz most likely my comp won't be able to run MnB 2. So........... Thanks for ruining my dream

Argoneus said:
Alright. This game is the best (YES, THE BEST) game I ever played. But with multiplayer, it would be like 1000x more popular!!! Anyways, guess I gotta stick to singleplayer, cuz most likely my comp won't be able to run MnB 2. So........... Thanks for ruining my dream
Your welcome, and to bid you adue, I play a theme song for your sporty attitude

"Craaaaawling through my skiiiiiiin"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom