Users who are viewing this thread

Some pictures of what I have made:

screentsh.jpg

screen2ko.jpg

screen3ke.jpg

screen4lo.jpg

Download link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?aliql0klb41ils5

I have fixed many things in this update, many items were too big and were in the wrong position, and I made many LODs too (not in all the items, because some of them got too deformed). There are many items of this pack that will be part of a new one, with use of new textures and lods.

===================
References:
Therion Arms - http://therionarms.com/
MyArmoury - http://www.myarmoury.com/home.php
Arms and Armor - http://www.arms-armor.com/
Kult of Athena -  http://www.kultofathena.com/
Lutel - http://www.lutel-handicraft.com/
Chivalry Wiki - http://chivalry.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapons

Do whatever you want with my stuff, but credit would be appreciated.

Goodbye
===================

Great initiative!  I love the variety and you've made a lot of the weirder things that we don't have models floating around for yet, like the hurlbats, which is awesome  :grin:

I had to upload  the pack again, because one item was too big. If you find something excessively big or small, please, tell me, so I can fix what is wrong. (new link there)

Yes, that maul! There was a texture missing, "axes_o" or something like that, but I have removed it. AAAARGH! It happened again! The shaders of the materials are fixed. Now it should work fine. (Final link. Shaders and sizes are correct now, I think. No more annoying passwords).

That's great!

Great work on the pack thus far.  It's a lot of work producing this stuff and it's great to see something new :smile:

A couple of things I'd like to see:

1.  A second pass on the uvmaps, skins and normalmaps.  I took a quick look, and you're using maybe 25% of the 512s on a lot of these pieces.  That's a lot of wasted texture space.
You can either get it down to 128 X 512 or have a lot more detail.  Take a look at the Mackie items set; everything in that uses a 512.

2.  There aren't any LODs, working scabbards, etc. 

The LODs are a Big Deal; without them, the pack's not going to be performance-friendly on this engine. 

The scabbards and suchlike are not all that important, but they're something that adds a bit of extra cool.

Thanks, xenoargh! Your critique is very appreciated. After a review of the textures, I must agree with you, there is a waste of space there, but I would like to make more details, after the new UV mapping. What kind of details should I add to the textures? And what is the correct order to make the textures? Fist of all I make the diffuse, and after that, I use the "desaturate" command, with "lightness". Afther that, I noticed that using the filter "gaussian blur" the normalmap will have less imperfections. I duplicate the layer and apply "sharpen" to one layer and "gaussian blur" to the other, in grain merge mode. then I duplicate each many times until the normalmap seems good. But I think that making normalmaps this way is very crappy. How should I make my normalmaps?

I wish to ask you, how do you make your wood and metal textures? The "Mackie items" has very pretty ones

The LOD's will be added in the next release, it was my fault.

About the scabbards... How do you make them work?

Thanks!

I must agree with you, there is a waste of space there, but I would like to make more details, after the new UV mapping. What kind of details should I add to the textures?
Well, first off, having more resolution devoted to the surfaces is a great thing by itself.  Secondly, by using normalmaps, you can get rid of a lot of triangles that you've used for small details, like pins, making the model prettier and perform better, all in one step.  Take a long look at the Mackie stuff for the basics, like using edge highlighting and other details in the diffuse.

As for normalmaps, for most stuff like this, it's pretty simple, actually, and you're more-or-less on the right track, but the important thing here is to use layers for surface details, and change the relative grayscales to reflect total differences in height before conversion.  IIRC, rgcotl made a good tutorial about this stuff here on the Forge; I can provide an example if you want as well.

After that, if the normalmap doesn't feel "deep" enough, you can copy the layer and use Overlay to make it stronger. 

Past that stage, the reason why you're feeling that Gaussian Blur helps may have to do with what you're doing after conversion to grayscale, but probably it's an issue with your filter settings for the DDS tools. 

For normalmaps, you generally do not want to have any sharpen stages, because that de-normalizes the normalmap and actually screws up the results a bit.  It also makes compression errors more obvious.

I hope that makes sense :smile:

Lastly, specular maps are (imho) the most crucial bit.  Warband doesn't use the RGB data in specular maps, but my mod does (I wrote custom shaders) and a good specular is the difference between something that looks real and something that feels like plastic, even if the normalmap's excellent.  Generally, my suggestion is to use Curves on the metal areas, increasing contrast a bit and saturation in the darker areas.  With wood, leather, etc., you want to convert it to grayscale and push the levels down, so that it doesn't look too shiny.

The LOD's will be added in the next release, it was my fault.
Don't knock yourself.  It's just something that I see overlooked a lot, and this is a great pack in progress, would love to see it get polished so that it's 100% game-ready.

Thanks for your help, xenoargh! I will look at Mackie's stuff more closely (Already downloaded) to see what I can do. I think that the explanation that you gave me and the tutorials available in the Forge will help me a lot!

You said that Warband doesn't use RGB data in the specular maps... I can only play Warband here with DirectX 7, so I never see the effects caused by the changes in the RGB values of the specular maps. I can see only what OpenBRF shows, then I change the values until it looks good to me in OpenBRF. You mean that changing the values of RGB doesn't modify anything at all in the game? Should I make a coloured specular map if I want to make a blade kind of blued, as an example? (I never tried that).

(Thanks for your feedback, man! I am sure that this is going to lead this pack to some progress!)

On the specular:

For most of the mods and Native, all they use is the grayscale data.  I wrote new shaders to use the RGB.  So everything looks like it looks in OpenBRF, basically.  I probably shouldn't have bothered explaining that point, but I'd consider using this pack at some point as it gets more polished and I wanted to note that just like Narf's plate armor specular textures, if you keep the color values, it can dramatically effect the look of metals.

Anyhow, if you adjust the speculars appropriately so that they look great in OpenBRF, they'll look great everywhere.

Hello again

I have updated this pack again with some fixes, like the sizes, positioning, scabbards, and LODs. Not all the items have the LODs, because these got too deformed in many cases, but I intend to make another pack with these, with the LODs and new textures.

The link for download is at the first page.

Nice pack. But for some reason,the Strelet bardiche is really short for some reason (when measured in open BRF,it's size is around 60).

Back
Top Bottom