Loading mods directly

Users who are viewing this thread

dia151

Knight at Arms
Is there a way to make shortcut that will lead you directly to your mod and load the game, skipping the mod selection menus that warband has?

dia151 said:
Is there a way to make shortcut that will lead you directly to your mod and load the game, skipping the mod selection menus that warband has?

Using Warband Script Enhancer. Yes, it's possible. Take a look to the thread for further documentation.
But I think that using the
Code:
 -m
parameter with the module name will do the trick. Haven't tried it yet though.

Code:
WSEloader.exe -m Native

Barabas said:
nope, just loads up the launcher with that module selected, unless I'm missing something.

Then just patch the exe to jump over the launcher's options' switch loop, and you're done.
I can do a mempatch, but I doubt Caba would allow me to post that on here.

EDIT: Here you have it anyways. It does nothing apart from skip it all. Loads the pre-selected module.

If you want to do it by yourself get a cute hex editor called HxD, open the game's executable (
Code:
mb_warband.exe
) with it, and do the following search&replaces:

1. This avoids the launcher window:
Code:
[b]ff 15 8c 53 89 00[/b] 3d
Code:
[b]90 90 90 90 90 90[/b] 3d
Type: Hex values

2. This avoids to freeze the main thread:
Code:
ff 50 [b]ff d7[/b] 8b 0d
Code:
ff 50 [b]90 90[/b] 8b 0d

3. Optionally: If you also want to skip videos then use this pattern:
Code:
binkplay.exe
Code:
-inkplay.exe
Type: Text String

It only works with the 1.143 version of Mount&Blade Warband. As the offsets change and they're difficult to nop out cleanly.
Save it as a copy... something like
Code:
mb_warband_skip.exe

The patched one you've just made will launch the latest played automatically.
Run the normal game for changing the selected module.

That's all. :smile:

Cool =D

That will same me quite a bit of silly clicking time =)
Oof... it doesn't work with WSE as it checks the .exe for the correct checksum which is ofcourse changed by patching it =(

btw, if you want to skip the intro movies you can also just rename/delete the files :smile:

Barabas said:
Cool =D

That will same me quite a bit of silly clicking time =)

btw, if you want to skip the intro movies you can also just rename/delete the files :smile:

I know. I've done it myself since the first day of getting the game. But with this method you have both possibilities.
And overall is a cleaner way.

Let me know if any of you have any problem, I've done an effort for making it as simple as I could.
You know,... Is always fun and exciting to fiddle with hex editing.

------------

Edit: I'll try to do a patch for WSE also.

wow, thank you , :grin:
another question just crossed my mind, is it possible to add a new intro movie and make the mod play it instead of the original one?

dia151 said:
wow, thank you , :grin:
another question just crossed my mind, is it possible to add a new intro movie and make the mod play it instead of the original one?

If I remember correctly WSE allowed to do this cleanly. Anyways, download the RAD Video tools to view and convert Bink files, that is the format the game uses.
If I were you I'd replace the
Code:
taleworlds_intro.bik
by your intro file, as
Code:
paradox.bik
has a timer.

I had some trouble patching the
Code:
WSEloader.exe
in a way that only affects this exactly file. I don't want to overcome anything.
The CRC checks are there for something after all, and I'm not going to lie anyone, I've had a great time doing it in the proper way! :smile:

Yet again, get HxD, open
Code:
WSELoader.exe
with it, and do the following search&replaces:

1. This makes the Launcherless game WSE compatible:
Code:
[b]ff 15 8c 53 89 00[/b] 3d
Code:
[b]90 90 90 90 90 90[/b] 3d[/s] --

Hmm... I'm guessing you've got another version of WSE or something cause I can't find: ff 15 8c 53 ...
I got a few ff 15 8c 60 's though.

wolfstar97 said:
I would usually say use the search function but it seems like your new so here you are: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,159154.0.html

Wolf.

ive seen this tutorial before, but all it does is just replaces the original one, but i my question was is it possible to make module load a different one, that would be placed inside of module folder. without modifying the original one.
is that possible with wse?

Oops, I completely forgot about this... I couldn't found the crc32 offsets, maybe they're xored or something... So good work.

I suppose that if I can do this ugly hack anybody with more interest, patience and skills with registers can work it around easily anyway in a more elegant way. Anything is better than nopping out stuff like a possessed.

1. Simple emergency jump patching.
Code:
[b]68 78 69 40 00[/b]
Code:
[b]EB 0E 90 90 90[/b]

dia151 said:
wolfstar97 said:
I would usually say use the search function but it seems like your new so here you are: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,159154.0.html

Wolf.

ive seen this tutorial before, but all it does is just replaces the original one, but i my question was is it possible to make module load a different one, that would be placed inside of module folder. without modifying the original one.
is that possible with wse?

Not directly. This is called externally, the
Code:
binkplay.exe
thingie is the one that does all the hard work.

And there's absolutely not way of doing it natively without external help, like my IronLauncher (as seen in The Last Days!) for the original game.
I fear that they did it to skip the high price tag of the Bink video tools integration. Cheap asses! :smile:

Back
Top Bottom