SP Medieval Other Live by the Sword Part One - v1.0 Public Alpha Release

Users who are viewing this thread

Excellent armor, shield and weapon textures!  The gameplay is smooth, and I found no bugs.  For whenever you are able to complete the next release, my recommendation is to replicate the missions from The Last Days, meaning that there is no equipment quest, but simply intercepting enemy agents, caravans, and patrols, with the occasional raising of troops.  Thank you for this enjoyable mod!

Just noticed how similar this mod is to what I'm doing  :sad: At least in terms of Khergits = Mongols, Rhodoks = Muslims and using new troops of typical Medieval names.

{QUOTE}my mod is a Warhammer mod in Bretonnia so you start out as a Knight Errant and have to work your way up to a Knight of the Realm before you can receive a fief{QUOTE}

It's downloadable? :grin:

These here are little things I've written for my characters from this particular mod.

I saw how dead this thread had become, and figured, if I didn't have any pictures, a story, or something along those lines would do nicely to keep people interested.

This particular tale is from the Vyag' character.

If you see this Spong, next time you lurk around the forum, and you like it, PM me, I have a few others I'm working on for each nationality, combat style, etc; if you don't mind me posting them- up to you of course, I don't want to just spam up your thread with something unwanted.

If you don't cool, this still pops the thread to the first page for a little while. Keep the support up for all those who want to see a port, or just plain like your excellent mod. :grin:

Enjoy.

vaegir5mx6.png

Marching... always marching.

We've been on the move for months now, weeks and weeks that pass without rhyme nor reason, no purpose, no point. Mile and mile of the steppe beneath the hoof, league after league of packed sod under foot. I've gazed out across un-ending waves of golden rye. Like walking on the sun, sans the life-giving warmth. There is only the cold winds that always blow on, waving the grasses and cutting at our faces, hard and crisp. We cut a highway through the grass, we did. Mile after mile, our trail snaked out behind us until it was lost amongst the shifting, ebbing horizon.

We stopped only at rivers, and short breaks at that, quick stop-overs on a campaign that is seeming to wait us out until nothing is left of us except rusted jackets of mail and bleached bones hidden beneath the grasses. So tired. So tired of this ceaseless march.

We have been struck numerous, countless times in the dead of the night, when the watchmen catch what snatches of sleep is allowed them. Quick arrows, released without mercy upon unsuspecting men. They fight like cowards these Black Khergits. But we have endured.

Our packs grow heavier, our horses tired, our oxen dwindle down to skin and bare bones. What food we have now is taken with most brutal force. These nomads have little to offer, meager helpings of venison and wisent. Barley breads and goat milk. Food not fit for anything but the lowest of the low, but it is all we have, all there is to take. Khergä flee before us. We burn their Yurts. Unnatural bonfires. Many times I've watched as dozens burn, spread out across miles and miles, great columns of smoke and heat rising into the sky. Whatever strange gods these goat-raping nomads worship, I hope, I pray to my own God that they smell that smoke, and fear us.

That is, that fear, that is all we have left in this great campaign. The fear that we drive before us, taking shape in the form of dirty, unwashed, stinking Khergit women and children, whipping their prized horses to death in fear of us. Fear of the thousands of stakes we carry with us, with full intent to mount our trophies upon in great, rotting rings around Tulga. That, and our drive for glory, almost incomprehensible to any but the Vyag'. There is no gold in this god-forsaken steppe, the Khans have no trinkets of value to us. We fight and die, or we march eternally home; lost and without honor.

And we have our courage. The Swadian would have fled long since. Fled home to his farms, his fairy-minstrels, his choir boys and laundry-maids. Worthless pederasts, and cowards too. A single charge of the Otorki has broken them, I have seen it through my own eyes; I was leading that charge and many others like it. The Salgurid Ghulam, what little spine he has would break upon feeling the first touch of wind, the first minute droplet of sleet. He would drive his slave-armies home, leaving a sickly-perfumed [as only the pansy, weak men of the Al-Salguriyyun feel the need to coat themselves in the scent of peacock ****] trail littered with broken javelins, turbans, and shattered scimitars.

Only we, the men, the might of Vyag' have a will as such to preserve through what we have gone through. An endless march through a golden, wind-whipped hell, incessant attacks on our flanks, the relentless sun on our backs. We march knowing that we may well die. Miles from home, and away from our women, our children, to leave our daughters without a father, our sons without a man to raise them right. For the glory of ourselves, for our people we fight, for whom we die.

Many horses will make the journey home riderless, but their riders will live on in the steppes. Your war will be done, your soul will be free, your memory  made glorious. My brothers, my sons, my men, my friends, now is the time to make your peace with God; as now there is only time left for that great pursuit of men, War!

vaegir11gd8.png

Many hours later, an eternity of battle condensed, Vhementsky was slain, he was struck down by no less than four arrows as he held the line against the Khergit scourge, and laid to rest amongst his fellow Boyars. His spirit fights on with the many thousands of his comrades who lay with him...

Inspiring stuff Grunwalder :smile:.

I've been getting nostalgic about this mod recently and I thought I should break my long silence. First I'd like to apologise for my abrupt vanishing act. I ceased modding because I had a number of very complicated personal issues that occurred all at once and that I have had to take alot of time to deal with. My other reason for halting the mods progress was because of the rapid release of several drastically different updates of Mount and Blade one after the other (from 0.8x through to 0.903), simply put I was finding it immensely difficult and frustrating trying to keep up with the new releases and rework the mod accordingly. Also in many respects my vision for the mod had changed somewhat and it needed a rethink, plus alot of my work had been a learning curve and from a coding and organisational perspective the mod was a bit of a mess. What I would like to state here and now is that this mod is not, and likely never will be, dead. Mount and Blade offers a gaming experience like no other that I value very highly so I do not see myself leaving the game or the community entirely. At the moment, however, the mod (as you have probably noticed) is on indefinite hold and my reason for that is I feel I need to wait until the final version of M&B is released, otherwise I'm just fighting the updates - I'm a slow modder and I believe realistically (and through prior experience) that if I work on it now by the time I approach releasing the mod the next version of M&B will get released (Murphy's Law) thus setting the development back again. I want to avoid this so I am going to just wait for the final release.
I'm sorry if this is an annoyance to any of you and a big thanks to all of you who have continually supported and played the mod.

-Spong

thread necromancy got another dimension - kind of double meaning in this case. I dont think that grunwalder will ever read this appreciation..  :neutral:

Amigo said:
thread necromancy got another dimension - kind of double meaning in this case. I dont think that grunwalder will ever read this appreciation..  :neutral:

If I'm necroing my own thread does that make me a Liche?  :mrgreen:

Ok at the moment what I am doing is working on the artistic side of the mod again ie: sorting out the .brfs, textures, models, faction colour schemes etc.
Although I won't say I'm not going to use anything from the old version of LbtS I am doing a rebuild from the ground up in an attempt to keep the build cleaner and more organised. The point of me doing this is to get this side of things out the way while I have the time, so that by the time the source for the final is released I can immediately get to work on the code.
One problem I am having at the moment is given the nature of the more recent builds of M&B with multiple lords, heraldries and banners and much more compicated systems for troops and factions in general, I am afraid I am forced to move away from the previous setup of having Swadia divided into seperate Duchies - due to how complicated it is now to create new factions I am going to be using and editing the existing factions appropriately which means:

Swadians = The Swadian Empire (Western European themed)
Rhodoks = Al-Salguriyyun Sultanate (Saracen themed)
Vaegirs = Reyvadian Vyag' (Russian themed)
Khergits = Khergits (Mongolian themed)
Nords = Zargyar Királyság (Eastern European themed)

(there will still be subgroups represented through mercenaries or faction specific troop trees)

I would still like to have at least some variety of heraldry for the Swadians, the problem is how to work it in a satisfactory manner. At the moment I am toying with the idea of giving each Swadian lord his own heraldry - armour, shield, horse barding and banner - so that the major lords can be recognised on the battlefield. However, I cannot really see it being plausible to make a knight troop type for each lord in a variation of the lords heraldry and which only spawns in his lords armies. With the complication of the code I can only see it being feasible to have a single mounted knight troop type and a single foot knight troop type and in which case they would simply be wearing pattern variations of the main Imperial colours of King Harlaus's heraldry (Gold Eagle on a Black Background - so the Swadian knights could have gold and black checkered surcoats, black surcoats with gold chevrons or diagonal bands etc. while only Harlaus himself has the gold eagle on black and the major lords have individual heralrdies). Think of the knight troops (Holy Roman Empire) in Medieval Total War and you're not far off.
Its not an absolute, I am still trying to think of alternatives, but short of struggling with making several seperate Swadian factions in the new code which I am now unfamiliar with I don't know how else to get round it.

Any thoughts?

Ok I'm now looking at a couple of less than satisfactory options:

1.) Give King Harlaus his own heraldry (either; Gold Eagle on Black, Silver Eagle on Black or Red Lion on Black). All Swadian troops including Knightly troops will be wearing pattern variations of his colours (stripes, checkered, particoloured, chevrons etc.). Major Lords (ie: the ones who lead armies) will have their own unique heraldries of various colours, patterns and badges).

With this option there would be a certain amount of artistic license taken with historic fact, in this case only lords of a high rank (baron, earl etc.) are entitled to their own unique heraldry and colours, regular knights in their service are still holding tenancy of what is effectively the king's land and must wear his colours even if in service of a lord who is subordinate to the king.

2.) Give King Harlaus his own heraldry and the major lords their own heraldry as above, however, also create a heraldry for an Imperial Knightly Order which would be the heraldry used by all other knights and Swadian troops (again pattern variations on that heraldry in the same colours), the premise being that all knights in the land belong to this order and troops under their command must wear the order's colours.

Again its sort of historically inaccurate.

Both of them are less than ideal. Ideally I would like to have an indiviudal heraldry for Harlaus (Praven), Plais (Uxkhal) and Klargus (Suno) and then have seperate knights and troops for each of those colours, then have the remaining 8 lords with specific pattern variations of those above three heraldries (representing their servitude to a particular Duke in line with the regular knightly troops). To do that I would need to create two new factions from scratch which I'm not really sure I can do. Creating new factions in the old build was the hardest bit of coding I did in the whole project and with the new code I don't even know where to begin.
Unless anyone knows of a mod with 7 or more factions in it that has source code available?

I could really do with some ideas or suggestions on this subject if anyone has any.

This will only get release for 903 if I can somehow figure out a good way of implementing diverse heraldry that is easily portable later. Otherwise I will be waiting for the final M&B release and doing more complicated modification from that. I'm not prepared to do very complicated modding for 903 only to have to rework it substantially for subsequent releases of M&B. At the moment I'm not even coding I am simply trying to work out a method that can be coded for having diverse heraldry for the Swadians, once I have figured out a system I will either work on the artistic side of the mod and code later when M&B final is released or if the system is simple enough for porting I will do a 903 build and port it later.

Spong, what I am doing for the Peasant's Rebellion (a Bretonnian mod that needs each knight to have his own heraldry) is that I am making about 5-6 kinds of Knights for each type of knight.  So for each type of knight (7) there will be a type that includes all blue heraldry, all red heraldry, all green heraldry, all black, etc.  It's kinda redundant but I like the look better than when I placed all the heraldry together into each base type of knight. 

Back
Top Bottom