SP Medieval Other Live by the Sword Part One - v1.0 Public Alpha Release

Users who are viewing this thread

grailknighthero said:
Spong, what I am doing for the Peasant's Rebellion (a Bretonnian mod that needs each knight to have his own heraldry) is that I am making about 5-6 kinds of Knights for each type of knight.  So for each type of knight (7) there will be a type that includes all blue heraldry, all red heraldry, all green heraldry, all black, etc.  It's kinda redundant but I like the look better than when I placed all the heraldry together into each base type of knight. 

I'm not sure that would work for what I'm trying to do. I think the simplest way to do what I'm after would be two have two new factions but I'm no longer good enough at coding to do that. I've been looking for a released mod with source code that has at least two more factions in than the 5 native but no luck so far. My modding ability got seriously crippled by the newer versions of the mod_system. I'd happily go back to  the earlier versions but physics and siege warfare are so appealing!

Ok time for a sort of update and some questions for you guys.

In my rebuild of this mod I have decided that the Swadian Empire will be ruled by King Harlaus with two key dukes; Klargus von Suno and Lord Plais of Uxkhal - all three of these characters have their own distinct heraldry.
There will be a militant Order formed within the Empire that is entirely loyal to the crown of Swadia and is based out of Praven - it too has its own heraldric design that is displayed in some form by most members - all Swadian troops and knights belong to this order and display its colours.
Most other named Swadian lords are knights holding the rank of Baron or Earl and control village fiefs and castles - they will have their own heraldric designs but will hold membership within the order.
The Grandmaster of the order will be loyal to the king and will be one of the other named Swadian heroes holding the rank of Duke but not ruling a city like the others - he will have his own heraldry on his flag but will always wear order colours.

some points:

Order heraldry is a black field with a red 'Y-shape' with white edges.
King Harlaus will have his own heraldry - a gold eagle on a black field - which he will wear on his surcoat, shield, horse trapper and banner
I'm not sure whether to have the key dukes displaying just Order heraldry on their equipment and having their own banner icon or just displaying their own heraldry on their equipment, perhaps with or without Order badges. Or even perhaps a combination - ie: wearing an order surcoat but with their own shield (with or without order badges).
Likewise with the lesser named lords I am not sure how much to display of their own heraldries but at the least I think they should wear Order surcoats and ride horses with Order coloured trappers and have their own banners.
I concluded that the regular unnamed knightly troops should wear order surcoats (perhaps a few variants) and ride horses with order trappers, shields could be a mix of regular order shields and a few variants of  heraldric designs in complimentary colours (black and white checkered, red and white stripes etc.)
non knightly troops would wear order coloured surcoats and shields.

I'm also not sure what to call this order, I had a few ideas but nothing solid;

The Pravenian Order
The Swadian Order
The Imperial Order of Praven

For those of you who have played my mod you will no doubt be familiar with the Order of St. Olaf - the re-branding of 'Manhunters' as an independent militant Order modeled after the Hospitallers of St. John. Due to the restructuring of the Swadian faction I am unsure  of whether to keep the Order of St. Olaf as they are and have them as a second in-game knightly order that is independent (non-joinable) or whether to redesign the manhunters as bounty hunters, inquisitors, mercenaries etc.

Any suggestions or input on all of these topics would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,

-Spong

Thanks Zathan :smile:.

Does anyone have any suggestions with regard to my previous post? I really need some help with making decisions in those areas.

If it is any encouragement to you guys to help me out on this I am now strongly considering a 903 release and subsequent ports for later versions. I've also pretty much finished all Salgurid and Khergit items (excluding horses) and alot of Vaegir stuff so I really need to make these decisions on Swadia so I can start churning out Swadian equipment.

thanks to anyone who helps.

-Spong

Back
Top Bottom