Line rotation order

Users who are viewing this thread

I noticed that in comander battles I have problems with the direction in which my line is facing. So I think a line rotation order would be very useful. Left and right rotation order. Thats it.

NICK.ALTMAN said:
I noticed that in comander battles I have problems with the direction in which my line is facing. So I think a line rotation order would be very useful. Left and right rotation order. Thats it.

+1

It`s neccesary i tell you(!)

Unless bot AI is recoded at a very fundamental level, this isn't likely to be possible. Bots always face their nearest threat/mass of the enemy...it simply isn't possible to have them face other directions without repeatedly knocking them out of an alarmed/battle-ready state. Likely the same reason you don't see any orders for bots to form battle squares and the like. It would take reworking the engine's handling of bots, targeting, etc that could have unforeseen consequences--like ranged units facing away from the enemy--or very hacky modder-level attempted workarounds that probably wouldn't have particularly good results.

Caba`drin said:
Unless bot AI is recoded at a very fundamental level, this isn't likely to be possible. Bots always face their nearest threat/mass of the enemy...it simply isn't possible to have them face other directions without repeatedly knocking them out of an alarmed/battle-ready state. Likely the same reason you don't see any orders for bots to form battle squares and the like. It would take reworking the engine's handling of bots, targeting, etc that could have unforeseen consequences--like ranged units facing away from the enemy--or very hacky modder-level attempted workarounds that probably wouldn't have particularly good results.

Sadly being a moder my self for M&B I noticed the bots inteligence to be very very low and I know what are you talking about. Its something that can't be changed in this M&B engine. Maybe in some future M&B 2.

To be honest what annoys me more is people who spread out their lines. I mean I know it makes sense in terms of ultra competitive metagame, but it looks crap and spoils the whole theme and alot of my fun. Anyone who does this and reads this post PLEASE STOP. The games more fun without it!

Wasn't there an earlier version of warband or vanilla M&B where they would line up and face whatever direction you're facing when you issue the Hold Position order? I'm almost sure of it...

I realize many have said this isn't possible, but it's almost absolutely NECESSARY for Commander battles. I'd love to see if Vince or another dev could find a way to do it.

wickerman_156 said:
Wasn't there an earlier version of warband or vanilla M&B where they would line up and face whatever direction you're facing when you issue the Hold Position order? I'm almost sure of it...
The line might have been slanted the direction you were facing (this was a bug), but the bots themselves were always looking toward their nearest threat/mass of the enemy, so even if the line was like
Code:
      /
     /
    /
   /
  /
 /
/
all of the bots would be looking toward the top of the page if that's where the mass of enemy was.

this is definitely needed and I hate to say it but I just don't buy the "it would take fundmental coding changes to the bots" line. Implying that to do it would mean a drastic overhaul, I don't buy that at all.

Caba`drin said:
wickerman_156 said:
The line might have been slanted the direction you were facing (this was a bug), but the bots themselves were always looking toward their nearest threat/mass of the enemy, so even if the line was like
Code:
      /
     /
    /
   /
  /
 /
/
all of the bots would be looking toward the top of the page if that's where the mass of enemy was.

Not necessarily true, actually. Bots would aim the nearest VISIBLE enemy, therefore, changing the direction the line is facing could be very useful indeed depending on your regiment's position terrain-wise.

Caba`drin said:
wickerman_156 said:
Code:
      /
     /
    /
   /
  /
 /
/

It's fine if they look/aim at whatever they care to so long as your line could turn to face the direction you intend.  Currently, they may all be facing along their own line, but the line is facing 90 degrees the wrong way so their muskets are all aimed to the side.  This just requires coding them to reform facing another way, not what target to aim at.  That, you're saying, is a feat not possible in this engine?

Well, if we can't have line rotation, how about the ability to choose which regiment your men fire on?
Won't make them turn that direction, I know, but I would definitely love the ability to tell my fellow captains in teamspeak:
"Focus fire on the Grenzers on the right" and then volley the hell out of them.
Is something like this possible?

(If I am not mistaken, Floris Mod Pack has an order doing this, doesn't it Caba?)

SirNitram said:
Well, if we can't have line rotation, how about the ability to choose which regiment your men fire on?
Won't make them turn that direction, I know, but I would definitely love the ability to tell my fellow captains in teamspeak:

(If I am not mistaken, Floris Mod Pack has an order doing this, doesn't it Caba?)

It might be possible to tell your troops to fire at "light infantry", "cavalry", etc. since the engine knows the difference between different units based on their class, but I don't think it would even be remotely possible to have them fire at units under spyglasses as had been previously mentioned, or to specifically target one unit based on sight alone.

You'd be required to manually visually ID the unit type yourself, give the command to attack that type, and then hope there wasn't more than one of that type in view.  That would probably be the best we could hope for in this engine.

Choosing who the bulk of your troops fire at can be easily controlled by clever use of terrain and, spacing, and number of ranks, but what we can't do is turn said line in any direction other than where the majority of the enemy is.  That's a little more frustrating to me.

SirNitram said:

Floris (via PBOD via moto's formations) has this for melee, yes--though it is just a fancy way of having the game order a division to move to the same location as a specified enemy division. There's nothing changing what the bots are aiming at (there are no modder-level operations to tell individual bots who or what to target)....just forcing the player-targeted division to be their closest enemies so they fight them. You can see why this wouldn't (and doesn't) work for ranged troops.

WilsonMG said:
It's fine if they look/aim at whatever they care to so long as your line could turn to face the direction you intend.  Currently, they may all be facing along their own line, but the line is facing 90 degrees the wrong way so their muskets are all aimed to the side.  This just requires coding them to reform facing another way, not what target to aim at.  That, you're saying, is a feat not possible in this engine?
What is possible without changing the fundamental targeting code is creating an order that makes a line of troops move from
Code:
 |  |  |
X  X  X
(with the x as the bot and the | as the musket/direction they are aiming)

to
Code:
 | 
X  | 
   X  |
      X

or
Code:
 |
X
|
X
|
X

There's a chance that positioning them like this might adjust their targeting decision-making enough to have them aim the 'appropriate' direction...but no guarantees...and no modder-level commands to force it to happen.

Which is why I say that actively turning them to they face/aim elsewhere would need changes to the engine handling of targeting.

Back
Top Bottom