• 4 EST

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 6 EST

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

Cool, cool.
Hopefully next one will be even less superficial, whatever he means by that :razz:

The next line battle will be Portugal v Spain at 3 PM EST (still experimenting with times to see which one has the best output.)

BattleOfValmy said:
Yes, brits won. Something like 5 or 6 to 3? I don't remember.

And what do you mean by "superficial"? The previous line battle wasn't genuine enough?

If you remember correctly, we all kind of lined up and shot at point blank. There was a little more advancing and maneuvering this time around, thanks to a larger, more open map. It seemed more practical to fight in a line in the open, where as on the Ruins map, we were doing so to our own peril and disadvantage.

...if that makes sense.

If you remember correctly, we were the ones maneuvering around your stationary formation (the vast majority of the time).

I don't see how that makes this line battle any more genuine than the one before.

Mainly, the difference being the method of engagement. You guys would appear from behind a wall, already at medium-close range, and we were left with the dilemma of whether to fire on you, or give you the first volley (which, at such a range, is quite devastating). It was kind of "run up to and prepare to obliterate each other on command." It was just awkward.

On an open map, that isn't so much an issue -- you usually form up at longer ranges, and so it is quite a bit safer. You have time to form up properly, and give orders. The battle isn't decided in the first few vollies, and therefore winds up being more interesting. There is room for maneuver, and the results are less "random" and more dependent upon use of terrain, good formation, and proper aim - insofar as compensation for range is concerned, over a long period of exchanged fire. You could even, in such a situation, implement proper tactics to advance on and engage an enemy.

Practically speaking, we shouldn't have fought in formation on the ruins map. However, had it been a normal game, even, I do not think we would have been at the same disadvantage fighting in formation on a wide open map, as we did.

It didn't help you that you made us charge you every round. It took quite a bit coercing for you guys to advance on us the couple times you did.

That, and we did fight about 4 or 5 rounds on a wide open and flat plains map.

Aye. Well, honestly, I would have liked to advance more myself.

And that giant forest in which we fought with 3-4 men on either side hardly counts.

On a bit of a different note, I notice you have an odd habit of attacking relentlessly. Should I explain one point, you move on to another, and another, and another. Any new and undefended opening, whether relevant or not, is the next target. This characteristic serves you quite well in melee, but it makes correspondence quite a bit of work =P

Do the Portuguese still not have swords? If so, I need to make sure to be Spanish.

By the last couple of rounds we had 5 active players on both sides, and we weren't fighting in the forest, we were fighting in a big open plain right next to it.

Yay! They used my pictures. They arn't that good cause I was mostly actually playing and not spectating. I can spectate next time. Maybe even record the battle. Wait, where's the Courtesy of J1219 caption? :grin:

So, what happened with the line battle? I logged on at 4:00 but it was just normal fighting by that point.

Keep it going.. coordinate with the 7th and 42nd leadership to see when you can get it going on the X Server.

I completely forgot about this, but yes, the playerbase has definitely expanded since I started this, and when I start this back up we'll hopefully see larger battles.

Back
Top Bottom