[LEGACY] Quick Questions // Quick Answers

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Uzpian said:
If I create a chapter of my own custom knighthood order in a city/castle and decided to give that city/castle to a AI lord, will that lord use my custom knighthood order on that fief? If yes, will any future stats training from companions still affect my custom knighthood orders under the AI control?

TIA :smile:

Yes, they will.
Ditto. If you upgrade for example Empire Immortals ten times then all the hope of beating Syla Uzas with marshall's armies are gone. Some players are careful about buffing and upgrading a troop which is also available for NPC. I don't give that much care, still all the same. but if NPCs in question are your vassals - what could be better?!

So I'm thinking about taking the CKHO stronghold and doing the noldor jatu quest for entry to elecrai and I have some questions

First I should mention I play realistic saves, 100% damage, good combat/campaign AI, 150 battle size and won't scale any of these down or close my game window to escape from defeat (not even from accidents like not watching where I am going on the map and running into enemy parties by myself). This means that I only have one shot at this (according to the wiki I will lose my whole army if I am defeated)

So I know I can whittle down the jatu warband a bit at a time and retreat. I plan to do the jatu quest first so I can get some good equipment for the order stronghold. I've played the game a lot and I think this setup will work well, what do you think?:

20% heavy cavalry, these will act as mobile walls to disrupt the enemy charge and fix them in place, as well as chase down horse archers
20% sarleon armored longbowmen. Alternatively fierdsvain bowmen since sarleon is near defeat and might get wiped out. These guys have good armor and a fast rate of fire, so they can survive a bit better when the cavalry close in on them than ravenstern bowmen and can fire quickly at riders that get stuck in place
60% 2H infantry. Thinking of Sarleon Halberds but I might go with Fiersvain berserkers or a mixture. 2H infantry make very short work of cavalry when they are fixed in place. The halberds hit hard and have amazing range, they can hit the riders or bring the mounts down fast and several can attack the same enemy at once due to their range. Fierds berserkers do even more damage but with a shorter range, they are less likely to whiff their attacks probably but fewer can attack at a time, might go 50% fierd berserkers and 30% heavy cav

I might use 10% sarleon longbow and 10% fierds longbow and seperate them into 2 groups so it's more likely that only 1 group gets disrupted by cavalry

So the plan here is to take a position on a hill, pref with obstacles like rocks and trees nearby and order my cav and infantry to charge when the AI closes in. Focus on taking out their lancers first, I can come back with more heavy cav to mop up the horse archers on subsequent attempts but it's those lancers that I truly hate

Alt strategy:

2 types of 15% cav, 2 types of 20% 2H weapon infantry, 4 x 7.5% missile units empire, ravenstern, sarleon and fierds. Try to sandwich each charge and split up my archers all around them to fire in from all angles. I'll be spending my time directing troops and chasing stragglers away from my ranged divisions but I'm afraid this setup might be too difficult to coordinate

I'm not too concerned about the Jatu, it's more a matter of when than if for them since I can take as many tries as I want. What I'm really concerned about is the snek stronghold

From what the wiki says:
50 serpents
50 anacondas
100 cobras
300 armsmen
500 followers

The comments talk about saving and reloading a lot which isn't an option and neither is cheesing by lowering my settings. According to the comments a retreat counts as a surrender and I lose my troops. Can anyone confirm if the damage done to the stronghold remains? Will my companions also be captured and can they escape on their own or should I dismiss them all prior to the assault? Can I escape if I am captured or is it essentially a game over for me? Can I reassault if I fail or do I need to do this first try?

Seems like no one has tried and failed this with realistic saves on the comment section so I just can't find in-depth info on the consequences of failure here and whether I should do this in the very end game with a monster CKO or if I can do this prior to starting my own kingdom for access to the armor/weapon upgrader smith

So my initial thoughts on this stronghold. Only 100 good units. Serpent priestesses are very vulnerable to missile fire and have only 300 prof. Anaconda knights are worse. Might need upgraded KO troops but I can probably shoot down the serpents myself. I think I should bring a small division of archers and order them to hold fire, then I can sacrifice them for ammo during the fight as the enemy uses crossbows and throwing weapons not arrows for me to take

I've fought this siege quite a few times before. It's actually really hard for the defenders missile units to aim at the top of the stairs so I think I should just ignore their crossbowmen. Because it'll be a tight packed melee at the top of the stairs I think I should use some kind of infantry with close range melee weapons and shields, and fight the entire battle in the gateway where we are safe from missile fire. The shields should protect from throwing weapons, and also crossbow fire as we ascend the staircase and descend between enemy reinforcement waves.

My knight order will be silvermists. I don't see either of their units being helpful for this fight I just like the order.

So I'll probably bring along ravenstern archers for my missile store and keep them outside for me to shoot for arrows. They'll be a very small number of my force, 20-30 max. The rest will all be close range sword and board infantry. Without access to knight orders I think the best units would be fierdsvain armoured axemen. They have lower profs than huscarls but huscarls sometimes bring arming sword which are a medium range weapon, and I need the near point blank power of the axes to take out the anaconda knights in close range melee. I've seen axes with 105 range in the stores tho and I'm worried they might bring those and then whiff at point blank. What I really need is something with a shield that can hit at point blank. Sadly no factions have mace troops who are my go-to troops for sieges

Ideally I would love to have some ebony gauntlets for this. Their maces would definetly make short work of those anacondas. Considering founding a chapter just for these but then I'll have to mess around defending the castle while I recruit more of them, I'll need to grind a lot more honour probably, they'll suck up all my prestige and it's jarring from a lore perspective. I've heard doomguides are good, could be difficult to get a large number of them and I'd probably need to get a castle to store them in so they don't die. They upgrade from seer favourites and they use bows so they would be hard to get by myself but if I went at them with more doomguides it should be easy, I'd have to find a three seers army and farm it and I'd probably need a castle of my own to keep them prisoner in

I suppose what I could do is try to get my right to rule up by joining a faction, the break away and take a sarleon castle. Once that faction is dead no one should bother me since the sarleon territory isn't their's so they won't declare war for it, and with my RTR so high they won't declare war for that either. In theory. I suppose I should be working on my CKO training anyway. Or I might have to just join a faction that's strong right now and keep enough troops that they never siege me compared to other castles, though really I would like to do this as an independent and before I start my own kingdom so I can use the castle to upgrade my gear, store troops in and spend more time farming renown before I get serious

Does anyone have anything to add that can help me please? Are there any troops you know of with good armour and profs, a shield and a weapon that can hit at point blank? Or can I just throw hundreds of ravenstern archers at them while my companions are checking with their connections and gradually whittle down the garrison over several assaults?

Edit: Also I'm wondering does the AI get infinite ammo for this siege like a normal siege? If not I can just use 30-40 archers and the rest huscarls. Let my huscarls soak up all the ammo and then I'm free to just shoot over and over with a ruby bow, kill the serpents, break the shields and kill the anacondas, keep shooting and shooting until either all the serpents, anacondas and cobras are dead and order a charge, or if the AI charges then we wait for them outside where my huscarls have room to swing. We can wait outside the entrance gate so they get no room to use any ranged weapons and are immediately forced into melee combat

KiriKaneko said:
KiriKaneko

You love PoP, don't you?! :grin:
Well, that is very detailed plan which points to the very vast amount of experience you have about the mod and the game in general. Proof of that for me was the FAA choice for the hard-hitting infantry. Other choices are FAA mixed with Berserkers and Gladiators.

I do not plan that much usually, I just level every companion just above either F.Warrior or E.H.Infantry mostly int builds so spamming is the way in my case. I've never tried with FAA but the testing thread which you can easily find among non-pined topics (It's fairly up in the list) changed my opinions about what and who is more efficient.

Edit: P.S.: The thing about the percentages, they never work unless opposing parties fit nicely into battlesize number. or the battlesize is very very high. Basically what you would end up with is that first slot troop which is 15% of your 300 sized party will be the 80% of your first wave.

davvynn said:
KiriKaneko said:
KiriKaneko

You love PoP, don't you?! :grin:
Well, that is very detailed plan which points to the very vast amount of experience you have about the mod and the game in general. Proof of that for me was the FAA choice for the hard-hitting infantry. Other choices are FAA mixed with Berserkers and Gladiators.

I do not plan that much usually, I just level every companion just above either F.Warrior or E.H.Infantry mostly int builds so spamming is the way in my case. I've never tried with FAA but the testing thread which you can easily find among non-pined topics (It's fairly up in the list) changed my opinions about what and who is more efficient.

Edit: P.S.: The thing about the percentages, they never work unless opposing parties fit nicely into battlesize number. or the battlesize is very very high. Basically what you would end up with is that first slot troop which is 15% of your 300 sized party will be the 80% of your first wave.

Thankyou for the useful info. I hadn't considered that the large number of Jatu would disrupt my team. I suppose what I could do is go with 30% heavy cav at the very top of my list and everyone else is 2H infantry. If my first wave of 2H infantry can dehorse a lot of the enemy then if I lose cav and end up with mainly 2 handers they should make short work of the dismounted cavalry so long as they have space to move

I love warband in general and I have played a lot of different mods. I discovered in native and Perisno that short range infantry is excellent for tightly packed sieges. The redwood elves fell quickly to the dwarves in my defensive sieges because I observed my elves were whiffing constantly with their long swords. In native I discovered that huscarls performed poorly in offensive sieges but rhodok sergeants became the bane of my life and on testing they performed remarkably well as offensive infantry

My general idea was to go with exclusively close ranged infantry but then I saw my samurai getting dominated by ashigaru spearmen in gekkokujo, my cavalry in pendor getting wrecked by mettenheim two handers, my cavalry in warsword getting destroyed by some kind of very fast and lightly armoured two handed infantry. I did a lot more testing with different units in different mods after that and discovered some interesting things

The primary power of AI ranged units seems to be down to missile speed and dropoff. This seems to make much more of a difference than their proficiencies when it comes to accuracy. They lock on to the closest unit in sight and won't change targets unless they either get shot by an enemy on their line of sight or someone gets very close and aggroes them. Ranged weapons have a much closer aggro range so you can stand 5 metres from an enemy with a 2H sword and no shield, they'll ignore you for the sword and board guy 20 metres away that they were already locked onto, but if you pull out a bow they'll suddenly switch target to you. You can control who is targetted by controlling line of sight. This means not only can you avoid being fired at by hiding behind trees while your tanks stand in the open but you can make your missile units target archers on walls over sword and board infantry by breaking your archer's line of sight of the infantry by positioning them to the side of the castle, then bringing them back around in such a way that they see the archers first. I was confused by how archers sometimes perform spectacularly on the battlefield or get dominated and concluded it comes down to whether or not they get disrupted and whether or not they can quickly deal with the disruption. I now consider them primarily a siege unit and only good on the battlefield if you can get them on the right terrain. I've seen Jatu and mystmountain bandits role right over noldor who stood in the open or on a mildly steep hill and found they perform better if I order the twilight knights to hold fire and charge to fix the enemy at the base of the hill, rather than dismounted the twilight knights or ordering them to charge while firing

Likewise I discovered sword and board infantry perform well in sieges and 2H infantry do well on the field against cavalry. Sword and board with a medium range weapon like an arming sword seem pretty bad when controlled by the AI, they whiff in sieges but they can't close in on two handers on the battlefield who just keep backpedalling and swinging and long ranged melee troops on the battlefield will often focus fire on one troop to keep him stunlocked whereas close ranged troops struggle to overwhelm since to overwhelm they have to surround the target. That said, close range sword and board infantry do very well on the battlefield if you split them into divisions and surround the enemy. Long ranged weapon units like ashigaru in gekkokujo or mettenheim guys in pop do very poorly when compacted from all sides as it creates a sort of "siege" scenario in an open field of close quarters combat

Most of this stemmed from my early experiences with the game. I was a swadian knight spammer in warband but I found that strategy often failed me in other mods. The reason is because there are very few decent 2H units in native and spears in native whiff constantly. In mods with very fast swinging high damage 2H infantry with a high athletics and enough armour to take some initial damage they can break the initial charge and tear them apart. Because of that, heavy cav spam isn't always the best strategy for field battles outside of native! What's more, 2H infantry supported by cavalry are even better at breaking a charge and fixing cavalry in place to be massacred by 2H weapons because the power of cavalry is their ability to stagger by riding over troops while slashing down at their heads and when they're trapped in place they get obliterated by basically anything!

I actually left PoP for a long time because I play realistic saves and I got sick of losing, I'm back now with more experience and it's actually quite easy for me. My only real concern is the stronghold quest as I'm sure I can handle anything else, and I'm sure I can handle the stronghold if I hold out for CKO troops although I'd rather have it asap XD

KiriKaneko said:
So I'm thinking about taking the CKHO stronghold and doing the noldor jatu quest for entry to elecrai and I have some questions

I've only tried this tactic with a fully trained CKO, so your mileage may vary with faction troops, but you can move all of your archers up on top of the hill to the left of the stronghold. It seems like it would be out of range, but its actually not and has perfect line of site on the upper courtyard, letting you rain death from above down on all the Snakes' strongest units. If you have your strong melee troops positioned outside the gates, eventually the Snakes will tire of being sniped and will come down off the hill where you can bottleneck them at the lower gate. This reverses the advantage since any losses you take will be replenished by your reinforcements spawning right behind you. Once all the Anacondas and Priestesses are dead, its a lot easier to push up the hill and into the upper courtyard

For the Jatu army , I think your strategy of mostly 2-handers is good. Since that army usually sticks around the Laria woods, their lancer charge will be mostly nullilfied by the hills and trees, your 2-handers will cut them to pieces. I'd probably bring more archers though, specifically Ravenstern Rangers, who'll do the most damage at range and should be able to handle any slowed-down Jatu who get near them with their greatswords.

Is it normal for a lord to join my kingdom without my approval? In my current playthrough I've had a notification that Ulrik had Lord Marlbert indicted and he decided to join me. I took a few days returning to my capital in order to tell him that he's not needed, but when I finally arrived, he was patrolling around Ethos, shamelessly wearing my colour. His dialogue was that of a faction lord and I could grant him fiefs, make him marshall etc. The other two lords that joined me of their own free will went through the usual routine of swearing an oath and I could refuse them if I wanted to.

molossus said:
Is it normal for a lord to join my kingdom without my approval? In my current playthrough I've had a notification that Ulrik had Lord Marlbert indicted and he decided to join me. I took a few days returning to my capital in order to tell him that he's not needed, but when I finally arrived, he was patrolling around Ethos, shamelessly wearing my colour. His dialogue was that of a faction lord and I could grant him fiefs, make him marshall etc. The other two lords that joined me of their own free will went through the usual routine of swearing an oath and I could refuse them if I wanted to.
Yes, it is normal.

I had that happen to me twice while playing ACOK. Just hand out fiefs as usual while ignoring them then indict them when their relation with you becomes heavily negative and no one will complain

I asked this question before in the wrong thread, my apologies. Anyway here it goes:
Q: I read that new dresses for females are added in the next patch. What is the purpose of such dresses anyway in this mod? I assume they are not meant to be worn in combat due to low stats. I remember the feature of Viking Conquest to give characters a set of gear for indoors, including women of course. Is there such a feature in this mod or will be added? And what about changing the gear of your wife?

I have a few small questions regarding rune weapons if anyone may have an answer for.
Q1) would it be difficult to bring in a rune 1H/2H war hammer? Or a 2H axe? Just feel that the 3 choice that are currently available leaves something wanting for end game weapons.
Q2) why cant the player support the dread legions or serpent priests? If my knowledge is right you are able to gain  support of raiders and bandits in Mount and Blade vikings,
Q3) would there ever be the option to play as a noldor or a half breed to make it more difficult? So that the states you start of with towards the countries are in the negative so you have to work towards gaining their trust but in turn you have access to the noldor capital.
look forward to any responses to this.
Sincerely Sarge119.

sarge119 said:
    I have a few small questions regarding rune weapons if anyone may have an answer for.
Q1) would it be difficult to bring in a rune 1H/2H war hammer? Or a 2H axe? Just feel that the 3 choice that are currently available leaves something wanting for end game weapons.

Suggestions thread.

sarge119 said:
Q2) why cant the player support the dread legions or serpent priests? If my knowledge is right you are able to gain  support of raiders and bandits in Mount and Blade vikings,

The Heretics and Snake Cult are objectively evil and act contrary to the mission of the player. They'd sooner exterminate everyone on Pendor than unite it. You're the hero of Madigan's prophecy, you can be as morally gray as you want, but you can't go darker than that.

redsimon said:
k0nr@d said:
To increase variety in kingdoms ladies appearance.
And the dresses in stores? Can they be worn in any safe environment by a female player character or given to any other female npc?
Yes, why not. You can manually change companions' gear every time they appear in the castle.

InMyPants13x said:
Was anyone able to get a female face replacer working for the normal female options?

This is a thread for actual stuff pertaining to the current version, not for changing or modding it for personal reasons, sorry!

MitchyMatt said:
InMyPants13x said:
Was anyone able to get a female face replacer working for the normal female options?

This is a thread for actual stuff pertaining to the current version, not for changing or modding it for personal reasons, sorry!

Sorry about that, is there a place here I can ask such questions or start a new topic about this?

Do you think range is better than speed  and damage for NPCs ?

Mainly talking about Warhammer vs Winged mace here.

The range is so low that an increase in 15 points seems to far outweight some damage and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom