Ladder / Siege Tower AI should be a higher priority

Users who are viewing this thread

From my understanding, fixing AI in sieges is a per scene fix. If this notion alarms you, join the club. Something is fundamentally wrong with how sieges work and if I were to guess, TW coded themselves into a corner and we'll likely get some kind of compromise.

The game is a mess, there's no other way around it. If it's a per scene fix imagine when they bring new scenes in, the whole process will start over. This happens when you have 8 or so (from what I heard) people working who can actually code. The cat is out of the bag on this, the multi level siege plans are likely to be scrapped just like castle building and ambushes. They removed these features and then did not replace them. There's no way this was a 50$ dollar game at release.

C'mon man it's been 7 months

giphy.gif

From my understanding, fixing AI in sieges is a per scene fix. If this notion alarms you, join the club. Something is fundamentally wrong with how sieges work and if I were to guess, TW coded themselves into a corner and we'll likely get some kind of compromise.
What?!? Who said? That sounds awful... Also... Why?

Did a dev say that or what? Because I've never heard that one. I do know a lot of castles need scenery fixed. There are too many places the ai gets "caught" on and derps out unless you actually push them out of it also I see more times than not archers not firing even though they should be. I'm not sure if it's because they don't see a target or if it's an ai issue.

But I completely agree with the OP fix the damn ladders and siege towers because this is beyond stupid that it still exists at this point.

Did a dev say that or what? Because I've never heard that one. I do know a lot of castles need scenery fixed. There are too many places the ai gets "caught" on and derps out unless you actually push them out of it also I see more times than not archers not firing even though they should be. I'm not sure if it's because they don't see a target or if it's an ai issue.

But I completely agree with the OP fix the damn ladders and siege towers because this is beyond stupid that it still exists at this point.
Yes, a Dev said it. (Disclaimer: this is based on my memory only)

The reason, if memory serves, is that a lot of the siege issues are based on pathfinding, which is a unique problem for each scene. Also, the scenes are fairly varied, which is nice, but means the spawn and defense points are also all unique, so AI needs to be tweaked for each scene. This means you either have unique AI sets for each scene, or you have a shared system where a fix for a scene will break something on another scene...

That's why i now use trebuchets to kill walls and just walk in as if it is regular battle - i am fed up with AI in sieges. It makes Sieges completely stupid and not fun.

QFT

The only siege towers we should have are the ones with ramps until this crap gets fixed.
Cant agree more on this. It looks like AI operates siege towers with ramps just fine. But they are so rare. Also being able to know layout and what type of towers we will get before going into the map would be huge quality of life improvement.

If I am not mistaken, you get ramp siege towers when the castle/town you are assaulting has level 1 walls. So the longer the game goes the less common that becomes.

I think that firing engine should be built all together and not one by one. This could make the option of catapulting down the walls more viable and add some variety in different approach for real.

I think that firing engine should be built all together and not one by one. This could make the option of catapulting down the walls more viable and add some variety in different approach for real.
You can place your siege engines in reserve and then pop them out when all four are finished. 4 trebuchets will wreck the enemy siege engines and have those walls down in no time.

I honestly think I had more fun with WB sieges.

These are just aggravating, you lose a bunch of good troops to stupidity or just cheese the damn thing with archers.

I guess you and I remember a different WB because imho sieges were the worst part of WB hands down.
I honestly think I had more fun with WB sieges.

These are just aggravating, you lose a bunch of good troops to stupidity or just cheese the damn thing with archers.
Yep it's just Nostalgia, which appears a lot of the forums.

Yes BL's sieges are a mess right now, but let's not act like WB's walk up a ramp into a choke point sieges were some kind of great experience.

Back
Top Bottom